Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ vs 92F?

ctay

How would you compare the feel / "shootablity" of a Beretta 92f vs a CZ? Why would you recommend one over the other? Unfortunately I don't know anyone in my area currently shooting a CZ so I can't test drive them both.

Thoughts?

Chris

In my experience (having owned/currently owning a 92FS, 92FS Compact CZ-75 Compact, CZ-75 Shadow, and CTS) through the grip the CZ and Beretta are very, very similar. The CZ may be a fraction slimmer. They feel pretty similar in the hand. However, they shoot somewhat differently, and I prefer the 75. With the Beretta, you've got that goshawful decocker on the slide, and no good place to rest your thumb if you're a 1911 shooter. The 75 is a better fit if you're used to shooting a 1911, IMHO. Also, with most 92FS models, you're stuck with the front sight that Beretta gives you unless you want to have that stub milled off for something new. The CZ at least gives you some options.

...through the grip the CZ and Beretta are very, very similar.

I disagree. Though the 92FS isn't as big as people often make out, the grip isn't one that feels particularly slim in the hand. CZs definitely feel slimmer - and with thin aluminum grips, they will be very, very slim. (A CZ with thin grips is actually thinner than a 1911 with standard grips.) The contours aren't the same to your hand either.

My 92FS basically only ever gets shot with a can on the end. While they aren't bad-shooting guns at all, I vastly prefer CZs in almost every way, shape, and form.

My comment was more based on the shape from the side view. I agree that the Beretta is thicker side-to-side, but from a grip profile perspective, they are very similar. In fact, it was my wife who first brought the CZ into the house - I did not want one under any circumstances. However, she loves the 92 and wanted something with a similar grip. The CZ 75 compact grip overlays almost exactly on the 92FS, only a bit shorter.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on frame thickness, but in overall shape, I do believe they're more similar than most other pistols out there.

My comment was more based on the shape from the side view. I agree that the Beretta is thicker side-to-side, but from a grip profile perspective, they are very similar. In fact, it was my wife who first brought the CZ into the house - I did not want one under any circumstances. However, she loves the 92 and wanted something with a similar grip. The CZ 75 compact grip overlays almost exactly on the 92FS, only a bit shorter.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on frame thickness, but in overall shape, I do believe they're more similar than most other pistols out there.

In my hand the the CZ fits way more naturally than the 92, I can feel the difference

I have been copeting with Beretta 92's for several years before switching to a CZ 75B. I loved the Berettas and knew all the little tweaks to get the triggers as good as they could be.

With all that said, I would never go back to a Beretta as a match gun after shooting the Cz's. Better triggers, less movement in the hand, shoots a lot flatter and much more accurate than any Beretta I ever had. The slide seems to move much faster and flatter and I can transition and split the Cz much faster and more consistently than the Beretta.

The feel of the grip is much better than that of the Beretta. Slimmer and allows more support hand on the gun. This goes for the standard CZ 75 B with the small beavertail. The Shadow is MUCH better in all these areas and will be my next CZ.

Wait I'm confused are we actually comparing a CZ to a Beretta? :roflol:

Talk about an unfair comparison....... :roflol: There is none, IMHO. I tried my friends Beretta 92 and couldn't wait to hand it back to him. The same friend bought a Custom Shop Shadow and shaved 5-10 seconds off of each stage immediately and consistently. I wouldn't have thought the difference would be so dramatic either. Although, I guess when you work hard so you can shoot the Beretta trigger well, a CZ has to feel like cheating. As for the XDm.....two other friends have switched to CZs after tweaking their XDms pretty far and one won't shoot his at all anymore, the other just lets his girlfriend or other friends/guests use his.

I can see how a CZ with the rubber grips might have the same bulbous grip feel as a 92 or some Sigs, hence why I like the aluminum or wood grips.

Take this with a grain of salt..... most competition handguns end up being at least $1200 guns. Even if you purchase a stock Glock/CZ/XDm/M&P handgun by the time you put this trigger in and then try this other trigger with these new sights you will have arrived near the magic $#, may as well simply start there with a full warranty. YMMV :cheers:

ctay, just get one, it is a no-brainer and all you will do is kick yourself for not getting one sooner. :lol:

I rarely shoot my 92fs because I don't like the double action first shot. I've gotten use to the striker fired - every shot feels the same type of trigger and it is difficult to go back to that long first shot. That being said - I am going to try to sell my Beretta and pick up a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Target. I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it and get most of what I paid for it back. Any thing you would change from the gun listed? That is a USPSA Production legal gun right?

The 92 is a nice gun. It shoots pretty dang good. I own one 92 and a bunch of CZ's. I carry a CZ and I compete with a CZ and there is one on my night stand. I am very pleased with all aspects of all of my CZ's and I do still shoot my 92 it rarely gets out much anymore.

RCG

In terms of overall grip size, I'd say the Beretta 92 series is a lot closer to the CZ-97 than the -75. I love the grip feel of both, but I've got big hands.

The -75 feels almost too small to me. But that's just me.

• 1 year later...

I have a 92FS and love the way it shoots. Just got a CZ-75B matte stainless and am amazed how much better I can shoot it than the Beretta. I think the issue is the grips on the Beretta are much fatter and I can't grasp it quite as well. They are both great, but I am giving the edge to my new CZ.

I've had a 92 FS and an M9 (almost identical) for years and have enjoyed shooting them informally for years...no competition. Have a Beretta 96A1 as well and then I bought a used CZ75B .40 cal.

The CZ was more accurate and pleasurable to shoot than the 96. Then, wanting something more compact, I bought a CZ75 D PCR. There is something about the the grip of the CZ75s that I find more comfortable than the Berettas.

However, none of my Berettas have ever jammed or misfired. The CZ .40 has jammed once. So, I really can't say about reliability. At this point, if I had to put my life on it, I would take the Beretta.

What have other folks experienced?

Thanks

I think its clear that the cz is the better gun for games but how do they compare when it comes to reliability?

I've got two 75Bs and a 92 Brigadier. I don't remember any of them jamming. I find I shoot the 75Bs slightly better in DA than the Beretta, SA is a wash. Combined round count for the CZs is ~10k, with ~5k for the Beretta.