Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X..... Pros & Consa?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with 2011 or 2012 Xterras?

I am in the market for a new car, and I have really been looking hard at a 2012 Xterra Pro4X. It is the "off road" version, and has a rear locker, skid plates under everything, Bilsteins, roof mounted lights, and a few other extras. My first choice was a Tacoma TRD... But it is just to tight for my big frame.

Anyone know if they are a well built SUV? Reliable engine? The mpg rating sucks, and the full box frame and leafs in the back make it more of a "truck" like ride.... But I kind of like the no nonsense off road concept.

Anyways... Just looking for opinions and comments.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with 2011 or 2012 Xterras?

I am in the market for a new car, and I have really been looking hard at a 2012 Xterra Pro4X. It is the "off road" version, and has a rear locker, skid plates under everything, Bilsteins, roof mounted lights, and a few other extras. My first choice was a Tacoma TRD... But it is just to tight for my big frame.

Anyone know if they are a well built SUV? Reliable engine? The mpg rating sucks, and the full box frame and leafs in the back make it more of a "truck" like ride.... But I kind of like the no nonsense off road concept.

Anyways... Just looking for opinions and comments.

Thanks!

The Xterra's are great SUV's. I havent owned one personally but several friends have them. The VQ40 is a very good V6. It might seem a little down on power on paper compared to some other mid sized SUV's but its performance is excellent. The auto trans is smooth and seems to be nearly bulletproof. They are also available with a 6 speed manual, in some trims, so that might be of interest to you.

The Pro4X seems to be worth it. I have had two Titans, one with the Pro4X package and the deeper gearing and locking rear end is really nice. Now, the active brake limited slip Nissan uses...sucks. Instead of installing a true limited slip, the electronic nannies use the brakes and engine power reduction to control wheel spin. I am sorry to say its the most disappointing part of my Titan (Xterra has the exact same system).

IMO, Nissan makes a very good truck/SUV and the Xterra is no different. If you intend to do any serious offroading, I dont know that this would be your best choice (look into the new Jeep JK's for that) but for everyday use and occasional off roading, I think the Xterra would be a fun truck.

Nothing wrong with xterra that hasn't already been said, but if I'm looking for a go too off-road vehicle, hands down it be a Toyota FJ

I have taken them out on the trail and while the traction control system is exceptional, the completely pathetic wheel travel doesn't make for much of an off-roader.

Nothing wrong with xterra that hasn't already been said, but if I'm looking for a go too off-road vehicle, hands down it be a Toyota FJ

I have taken them out on the trail and while the traction control system is exceptional, the completely pathetic wheel travel doesn't make for much of an off-roader.

Anything with IFS will be limited in its hard core trail duty. For the casual stuff, both are pretty good off-road. Like I said, Jeep JK for more serious stuff.

My wife drives the "older" version (2009) when it was still called the "Off-Road", but otherwise the same vehicle. She loves it, nothing went wrong with it so far and she is NOT kind to her toys. We looked at all the other off-roadie type vehicles when we got it and there was no argument. The FJ is cute but visibility out of it crap. The Jeeps are way to small inside for what they are and cost. If I was replacing my other SUV right now I would buy a second X-terra without a second, I think they are possibly one of the last true SUV's that you can actually afford without going into the higher priced thing like Range Rovers and the like.