Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P front sight question

Ray S

I just bought my 9mm M&P to shoot production with, and am going to change the sights.

Here are my thoughts for now. Keep the rear sight and black out the dots, and then change the front sight out to the Dawson Fiber Optic front sight. For now I am shooting factory Remington 115gr, but when I start reloading will go to either 124, or 147.

Question is what size front do I need?

You might want to consider changing both sights especially if you get advice from a pro. like Dawson.

Also some M&P rear sights are known for working loose and fowling things up pretty good.

You might want to consider changing both sights especially if you get advice from a pro. like Dawson.

Also some M&P rear sights are known for working loose and fowling things up pretty good.

Hahaha! When I saw Sarge wrote in here and it began with "You might want to consider..." I thought for sure it was going to follow with something about Glocks! :rolleyes:

Edited by monicataliani

I am not competing (yet!), but that is the exact set-up I am using right now, blacked out factory sight and Dawson FO sight, and I am pretty happy with it. I would recommend to test the gun with the factory sights first, before choosing and buying a new front sight, to account for differences between guns, and to make sure you get the right one the first time. My sights were not centered well by the factory. I had to drift the front factory sight over 0.04" to the left, and the rear sight about 0.04" to the right. That got my POI and POA to line up horizontally. My POI was ALWAYS low vs. my POA, about 1.5" at 10 yards, on average, using 115 gr FMJ's from Magtech and Blazer. The factory front sight is supposed to be 0.160", but when I measured mine, it was more like 0.170". I used the calculator on Dawson's website, and came up with a needed height change of 0.026", but the closest thing they had was the 021-138 (0.150" tall x 0.125 wide), it's basically the shortest front sight they make for the M&P. So, that's the one I got, and it's pretty sweet. With 147 gr, it's right on, and with 124 gr and 115 gr, POI is a hair lower. I should mention, my M&P9 is full-size, with the 4.25" barrel.