Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Complaints

Mr B&W You are SO correct! That is truly the toughest part. That is MY challenge. Being 58 yrs old tends to get in the way a bit--those lightning fast decisions and observations are just not there! I can pull the trigger as fast as anyone and I am as accurate as many --but it takes me too long to process all the info!! I'm still working on it!

Pulling the stock trigger on my SA was a real chore. The trigger wiggled up and down to the point that you could get your finger caught between it and the frame, and after the take-up you had to crack the big hunk of gravel that miraculously fused back together in time for every shot. The trigger was 1/3 of the problems I had with the gun. Too bad I can't buy a match trigger FINGER to go with the new trigger.

My take is can i shoot a 5.5lb trigger just as accurate as my 1.5lb trigger,yes. Can i shoot my 5.5lb trigger as fast and accurate as my 1.5lb trigger,not exactly but close. As CHA-LEE said i think the trigger is pretty important for all types of shooting.

I totally agree with this!

Good equipment can't fix poor technique. However, improved equipment can give better results with good technique.

Good equipment can help reveal poor technique, though.

Equipment can also mask poor technique.

We've heard a couple of instances of that in this thread already... Where shooters have issues when they try to "go fast". They milk the strong hand, while trying to run the gun harder.

Better technique would be to firm up the support hand. Make the technique be your trigger job.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 centavos.

... with proper finger placement and proper trigger pull and follow through a stock 5.5 trigger pull is good to go. However, when you need to speed up those shots and you have a long stage, you will not be able to maintain that same trigger pull execution. the proper muscles will fatigue nd you will start to introduce others. Then Mr. Low and his cousin Left will pay an unwelcome visit :surprise: this more of n issue in revolvers, striker type actions. I recall a stage where my last target was like 5 yards. I says... I am going to give it hell. My brain said double tap...Let it Rip! Trigger finger was like ... Woat? The 2 slowest shots I have ever taken. Since then I brought down the trigger pull on my sw 625 to 7 lbs. :devil:

I may be off the main subject, but I had to change my trigger to be more comfortable shooting my gun(s). I have long fingers and no matter what I tried or complaining I did when I first started playing, it just didn't seem to help. I complained to everybody; mentors, FNG's, EVERYBODY. Finally someone noticed on tape that my trigger finger was through the trigger guard up to the second knuckle and Alakazaam, longer trigger, instant results. I think a lot can be said for tuning a trigger to your liking, previous comments deal more with trigger weight than lengths, but on the whole I think both are equally important. JM2C

• 1 month later...

Good equipment can't fix poor technique. However, improved equipment can give better results with good technique.

I couldn't agree more. I have one new shooter I have been working with obsessed with a "lighter" trigger pull. Put a heavier trigger in his hand (Like my Gun) and he flinches like there is no tomorrow. I have gone over this with him about working on the technique and not relying on a super light trigger to mask his pre ignition push :rolleyes:

I am a new shooter, my take on this is that a super light trigger would get me in trouble, and fast. For me it's about crisp and smooth. I could care less if it's 8 or 4 lbs, as long as it is smooth and crisp I am a happy camper. I do complain that my dads glock is mushy. Because it is! But I digress... :roflol:

Mr. Chaos,

Trigger length is very relevant to this discussion.

...Finally someone noticed on tape that my trigger finger was through the trigger guard up to the second knuckle and Alakazaam, longer trigger, instant results. I think a lot can be said for tuning a trigger to your liking, previous comments deal more with trigger weight than lengths, but on the whole I think both are equally important. JM2C

Every factor that affects trigger press should be a part of this discussion if someone is looking for a complete cure for their difficulties. Otherwise it'll just be a double action/single action opinion debate rather than a "how do I get better" thread.

I think the emphasis of the discussion should be about being correct not better. A lighter trigger will reduce the effects of bad mechanics but you'll still have the bad mechanics. Everything affects shooting and needs to be "correct" for that individual. Getting good trigger finger placement along with proper press, gun fit, hand placement, follow through etc. are crucial no matter what the weight, action or gun.

This might explain why some people say "a single action will make you a rock star" and others say "I shoot my 5.5 pound stock Glock trigger like my 1911 target trigger". With a longer double action pull the trigger mechanics have to be correct throughout the press and it might be just a case of trigger length of a different gun that improved a person's mechanics and not the trigger weight.

The problem for you might be the opposite of what you think.

I started out with a long trigger pull but ended up with the shortest I could find. With the long trigger on my gun and was fine until I started trying to shoot faster and the mechanics were killing my groups, even with a 3 pound trigger. I got some instruction from some Masters and was taught to curl my finger a lot more than I thought I needed and it works great. I was also taught some changes to my grip. Now, I even have a snubbie that I can shoot just as well double or single action. However, I am still open to changing my technique. I suggest you get some personal instruction from instructors with experience to help you get correct technique.

If you like the way a gun shoots you'll probably do better with it. Sell the guns you don't like shooting or are unable to get to work for you. (I just needed to add that to help justify buying more guns. :rolleyes:)

DNH