Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A couple questions on shooting Trap.

West Texas Granny

First question is how many repetitions of bringing the gun up to the shoulder ( ready to engage ) should I do and how many days a week should I do it.

Second question regards the gun. I am now shooting 20-23 out of 25 now on a regular basis. Like today was a 20,22 and a 23. Should I just stay with what I'm shooting or do I need to upgrade from my Remington 1100.

Third question is I'm experiencing the majority of my misses from the #3 position. Any suggestions.

I shoot left handed with the right eye closed if that matters.

First question is how many repetitions of bringing the gun up to the shoulder ( ready to engage ) should I do and how many days a week should I do it.

Dry firing for trap is very helpful. Every day. Do them for as long as you can with correct form.. If you practice with bad form, you will end up with bad form and it will be very difficult to correct. Remember, in a normal tournament, you will shoot 100 singles, 100 handicap and 50 pairs of doubles. A lot of misses happen at the end of a run do to fatigue. That reminds me, I need to go dry fire.

Second question regards the gun. I am now shooting 20-23 out of 25 now on a regular basis. Like today was a 20,22 and a 23. Should I just stay with what I'm shooting or do I need to upgrade from my Remington 1100.

In American Trap, the bird is shot while still rising. If your gun shoots flat, it will make it a bit harder to be consistent. You will see many of the trap guns specified in percentage like 80/20 or 70/30. That is how much of the pattern is above and below the point of aim. I like 90/10. I shoot with a guy who likes 100% and then some. It has a lot to do with timing. If you shoot quick, the bird is going up real fast so you need a lot more lead built in. If you shoot late (like the second bird on doubles) when the bird is peaking, too high a pattern can cause problems. Timing, including the triggers, is everything.

Most of it is in your head. If you think it will affect you it will. Keep it simple.

The key is to know where your gun patterns. If it is flat ( 50/50 )then you need to lead the bird a lot more than if it is a 80/20 gun. I started with a Beretta 686, then went to a BT99 and now shoot a Citori Trap. I say buy a new gun. Buying a new gun is kind of a trapshooters thing to do. :)

Third question is I'm experiencing the majority of my misses from the #3 position. Any suggestions.

I shoot left handed with the right eye closed if that matters.

I find that misses on 3 is because you are picking up your head. Keep your head down tight and it will go away.

I shoot right handed and one eye. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to shoot two eyes. Tell them to look up Nora Ross. She shoots one eye. She does just fine.

Leo Harrison a perinial All American trap shooter has done quite well shooting Remington 1100s. You can buy a trap barrel and trap stock for your current 1100 or find an 1100 Trap Model for a reasonble price. If you like the 1100 stay with it, you obviously shoot it well. A gas gun will not beat you up when shooting 400 targets a day if you decide to compete.

Second that.

Get the Kiner clinic DVD if you plan to shoot much trap, and watch the section on look points and hold points once a month in the beginning.

Hold points and foot position are very important, but I believe where you look is paramount to reaching your potential. Looking in areas that you will never see a target will cost you plenty.

By the way, you weren't supposed to fiqure out how hard post 3 can be in the first year(or straight-aways), so you may be a fast learner.

Try this: lock the trap on a dead straight-away for post 3. Shoot about ten like you normally shoot. Forget the misses. How well did you smoke the ones you hit?

For example, say your getting decent smoke but lots of chunks or pieces fly upward on most hits. You might be a little low. Add 1/16-1/8" of moleskin to the comb per Kiner's instruction and try again. When birds seem to smoke like they are centered, you try post 2 and 4, and keep progressing. Then shoot a round.

All of the above is meant to be done while using an improved-mod or full choke, bumping the bottom of the bird.

Edited by JD45