Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is switching worth it or stick with what I got?

tackdr1ver

I have been shooting now for about a year and a half and it looks like I am about to break into B class in limited. It seems that I have been fortunate enough to keep gradually improving and am knocking on the B door at 58.12%. Currently I am shooting a Glock35 and have been fighting the urge to sell all of my belongings to get a SVI limited gun. A friend of mine has one and it was love at first sight!

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of stepping up to something in the SVI realm at this stage in the game. Is this type of gun a real game changer or is a G35 plenty competitive enough?

do and shoot what makes you happy thats all you can do. Ive been shooting as long as you and knocking on b class door in production, ive always wanted to shoot revo so I am this year and im having a blast with it. If your serious about limited and not getting bored with it and want to make the investment go for it.

I have been shooting now for about a year and a half and it looks like I am about to break into B class in limited. It seems that I have been fortunate enough to keep gradually improving and am knocking on the B door at 58.12%. Currently I am shooting a Glock35 and have been fighting the urge to sell all of my belongings to get a SVI limited gun. A friend of mine has one and it was love at first sight!

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of stepping up to something in the SVI realm at this stage in the game. Is this type of gun a real game changer or is a G35 plenty competitive enough?

I was stubborn and determined to make A class with my G35. I did and then shot one more match with it and sold it and my backup. I went to an M&P for Production and 3Gun, shot a few matches with Revolver and SS. I am in the process of getting a 2011 built...I have mags and a holster, still contemplating the grip and looks. Probably in a month, I'll have a final build sheet.

When I finally hit A, during set-up at a match, I ran a few drills with my Glock directly comapred against an STI Limited gun. The STI grip did not fit me well (thus the SVI IC grip is what I am scoping out) but I still had slightly better hits, same time and a bobbled reload with the STI. I shot 5 or 6 S_Is of friends over the next few months and the difference was certainly there. For me, it might just be finally turning the wheels out of a rut, but the direct comparison proved to me that there was a definate difference.

I think the G35 is certainly competitive enough (look at the L10 nationals), but if you really want the SVI go for it.

I made A with a Glock limited gun (G20), and just made master with my SVI. It certainly can't hurt... I'd hold onto that G35 too though, if you can.

No way I would buy an SVI Limited gun after shooting a Glock. If anything I would try out a couple different used STI/SVI's. After that I would look for a good smith to build me one. SVI is way, way overpriced at this point. Good for them they are selling well enough to justify the price point, but I'd rather go with a Matt McLearn, or other smith's gun, built exactly the way I want it.

As far as needing a new gun. I made Master with my G35, then decided to get a custom 2011 to push me that next step to GM. Shot it for a couple more years, but never really got any better. I've dabbled back and forth between Glock and 2011 pattern guns depending on the match. For shooting Major, I shoot 2011 better than Glock. For Minor I shoot Glock better.

Edited by Chuck Anderson

Good point. I bought mine used at a pretty good price. No way I'd pay full price for a new one!

If anything I would try out a couple different used STI/SVI's. After that I would look for a good smith to build me one. SVI is way, way overpriced at this point.

Almost any gun in the hands of a Shooter can win the match. A G17 can win limited with a really good shooter. BUT, most people will find that different guns do affect their results. Shooting a G35 in Limited is not a handicap if it is set up right and if you are comfortable shooting it. Will you shoot a 2011 or even e lowly Para better? Maybe, maybe not. If you have the opportunity to shoot some practice stages with a buddy's 2011, try to run the exact same drills or stages with both guns and record the times. do a couple runs with the 2011 first to familiarize yourself before you do the record runs. If you don;t feel right or you are really off, a 2011 may not be for you. It may also be a familiarization curve.

After about 15 years I shoot all the divisions, sometimes switching just because. I will say this, a gun that runs well has a major effect on your attitude. I am currently playing with my revolver. When I first got it, it STUNK! I had some work done on it, then I changed the grips and sights and cylinder release and it is like a whole new experience. It went from why am I doing this to myself to hey! this is FUN! So yeas a gun can make a difference.

A huge part of this or any hobby for that matter is personal satisfaction. Glocks are great great guns but if you feel you want something else that feeling probably won't go away until you get what it is you are wanting. 2011's are probably cooler looking and many associate the platform with a more serious competitor. Granted there are plenty of major players out there that can win titles with Glocks but only you can say if you will ever get that good with one.

Don't expect to pick right up where you left off with the /glock either. Shooting a 2011 is a different enough animal that there is a learning curve involved. I went from a 34 in Production to an Open 2011 overnight. Even taking the Open aspect out of the picture it was a major change for me. Grip angle, gun weight, mag weight, safeties, etc all make for a very different feel.

I'll say this and I know it's been said before and so cliche I hate to say it but...it's not the arrow, it's the indian. That being said, I have one SVI and another on order and they are by far the finest, I mean absolute finest handguns in the world. Anyone that would say they are overpriced, etc. should probably do a little more research. While they are expensive, the craftsmanship that they put into every gun...for that matter, every part, mag release thumb safety, etc. is unsurpassed in firearms manufacturing.

Ive been shooting a g35 in limited for two years now. Since day one i have wanted a 2011 will it make me better who knows however i often find myself wondering if i was shooting a 2011 would i be better. The other thing that made my decision to order a 2011 is i ultimately want to shoot open and by having a 2011 in limited i will get familiar with the grip and controls before taking on the challenges of finding the dot.

they are by far the finest, I mean absolute finest handguns in the world. Anyone that would say they are overpriced, etc. should probably do a little more research. While they are expensive, the craftsmanship that they put into every gun...for that matter, every part, mag release thumb safety, etc. is unsurpassed in firearms manufacturing.

couldnt have said it better myself.

I'll say this and I know it's been said before and so cliche I hate to say it but...it's not the arrow, it's the indian. That being said, I have one SVI and another on order and they are by far the finest, I mean absolute finest handguns in the world. Anyone that would say they are overpriced, etc. should probably do a little more research. While they are expensive, the craftsmanship that they put into every gun...for that matter, every part, mag release thumb safety, etc. is unsurpassed in firearms manufacturing.

They might be unsurpassed -- no one's doing it better -- but are they without equal? I suspect not -- and I suspect that there are custom smiths turning out blasters that shoot as well for a lot less cash....

That said, they build some lovely, and reportedly excellent, guns -- so if anyone wants what they offer, I wouldn't argue with that....

They might be unsurpassed -- no one's doing it better -- but are they without equal? I suspect not -- and I suspect that there are custom smiths turning out blasters that shoot as well for a lot less cash....

That said, they build some lovely, and reportedly excellent, guns -- so if anyone wants what they offer, I wouldn't argue with that....

Nik said it well.

My best advice is to borrow and shoot as many different guns as you can, then if you find you really want something different watch the classifieds here and find something you like from a reputable smith. Then once you have shot that for a while and you decide what you really want, you should probably consider having something built. SV certainly builds very nice guns and I doubt that you'd be disappointed with one, but in my opinion there are several of the name smiths who would build you a gun that would serve you just as well with a shorter lead time.

Edited by caspian guy

Well that depends on what it is. Building a cosmetically pretty gun with some really radical designs, nope, can't think of a single shop that does it better. Build a match winning gun? Oh yeah, I can think of a lot better choices. But that's part of the reason why SV's market share is miniscule compared to STI. The way I always explain it to people looking for factory guns is if you want a gun that looks don't matter and won't necessarily run from the factory, buy an STI. If you want a gun that is cosmetically awesome, but probably won't run from the factory, buy an SVI. The difference is you can take the 3-4 K you save buying the STI and make it run 100%

I dont think you will see immediate improvement with a 2011 after shooting a glock for a long time. It takes time to get used to the saftey and the increased weight of the gun. Having said that. I have shot my glock in some three gun matches after shooting the 2011 for almost a year and def. wouldnt go back to it. You can certainly compete with the best in the world with a glock against 2011's, lot of people do it. If you want one get it, they are awesome, but dont do it to make you a better shooter because thats only going to come from exp. and practice with what ever you choose.

Two major differences between Glock and 2011. Grip angle and single action versus striker. You will never get a Glock trigger as good as 1911/2011. Yes, some are National champions with glocks, but I think the 2011 platform rules if one has the money.

I've been fighting this issue myself this year. I've been determined to spend my money on ammunition supplies as my only spend, because the only way to get better is by doing the shooting (and dry-firing). That said, after my last few range sessions I began to reach my speed/accuracy limit with the Glock trigger, and I feel so much of the mechanism when I'm pressing that it's become grating to shoot for an extended period. My it's just me, but I can't seem to stop being irritated by the feel of the trigger after about 200 rounds. On the other hand, this never gets to me during a match.

I only want to focus on the shooting, and I feel that the move to the 1911 trigger will allow such freedom. Hopefully I'm not wrong, because 2011s aren't cheap unless they're free.

Thank you all for your well thought out responses. There is a lot of wisdom coming from both camps. I tend to agree that it is more "the Indian and not the arrow" as blu46and2 said.

I just came to a funny realization: The man who has the SVI (and has basically been my guru in shooting since I started) has only shot his SVI in one or two matches and religiously shoots his Glocks and does quite well. Perhaps the answer was there all along, I just didn't see it for what it was. Time and experience can't be taught..

This isn't about what class you are in, or anything else.

You saw your buddy's SVI and now you want one.

Do it.

And yes,... it will be a game changer, but not right away.

You could continue to run your Glock and it will take you as far as you want to go.

That said,

There will be a learning curve as you make the adjustment to the different trigger, safety, weight, grip angle, etc.

But once you learn to drive the SVI, you will love it.