Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What mattress for a bad back?

For all of you that have back pain. Have you found a good mattress? Iam to the point where I'll get two loans to buy the best one I can. Which one did you go with?

Depends on how you sleep at night. If you are like the majority of the population and sleep on your side, get a plush mattress with great support. If you sleep on your back, move toward a slightly firmer mattress. Stomach sleepers are the people that should be sleeping on a firm. Stearns & Foster of Sealy are good choices as well as the Tempurpedic mattresses if you like sleeping on memory foam.

Costco has 2.5 memory foam toppers for about $125. I use two of them on top of my existing mattress. Could not be happier. Beats $1800 for a TempruPedic. They also have a 10 version for the Temp. type mattress. I had one of these for a while. It was a great mattress, I sold it when I moved. I would buy another one if I did not already have two of the toppers.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11596660&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|1924|4257&N=4001726&Mo=5&pos=11&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4257&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11879-Cat1924&topnav=

This journey has been a nightmare for me. I have severe back problems due to abuse and being overweight. I currently sleep on a Sealy Posturepedic with a the 2.5 inch memory foam. I have a stack of mattresses you can try out. Firm, plush, pillow top... I bought the Sleep number and what a piece of sh$t that was, $900.00 for a big air mattress that bobbled like a waterbed. They try to push you into the $2500 price range buy making the lower end stuff really bad. Good return policy, you just have to eat the shipping. My issue with the memory foam is how hot it gets. If you like a warm bed, this is the way to go. My back still hurts worse every morning than it does after a few hours up and I have given up trying to find a solution other than pain pills before I sleep. Firm underlining is important. I found that really soft is bad, and really old is worse. Good luck.

My wife has chronic back pain and "degenerative disc" issues. We bought a very firm mattress 3 years ago, didn't help. We slept in an extremely soft bed for four nights in Las Vegas last year and her back was almost pain free after that. We came home, slept a couple nights and her pain was back. (No, it wasn't me poking her in the back :devil: ) So, we bought a new $3000 soft but supportive mattress and it did the trick, she's almost pain free most days. Point is, I'd always heard firmer the better, wasn't true.

We just purchased a "Westin Heavenly Bed" that can be purchased through Nordstroms. (I apologize if I misspelled any of those names)

Our old bed was causing some back issues and I can honestly tell you this bed is all it is cracked up to be. They are pricey but if you watch closely you can catch them on sale. We got ours for $1500 (or $1700...cant remember) a few weeks ago. When we ordered we were told up to 5 weeks, we got it in 2, shipped to our home.

It has to be the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.

Good luck.

For me, platform bed -- think 4x4 legs, 2x12 joists, and 5/8 plywood -- a very firm mattress topped by a 2.5 inch memory foam pad.....

The platform and mattress provide the strong foundation, the memory foam provides the right amount of support for my side-sleeping....

We have a mid line TempurPedic memory foam. Work well, but it is a warm mattress. In our first RV 5 years ago, we brought it home on a Saturday, my daughter insisted we sleep aboard on night one. We did, more or less, was the WORST mattress I have ever slept on and that includes rocky frozen ground! Went to Wal-Mart and bought a $200 approx, foam mattress. Truth be known, it was as good if not better than the TempurPedic. It went when we traded in. The new rig has a conventional mattress, but one that is very comfortable.

I like the foam units, a topper is OK IF the underlying mattress is not collapsed. I know I should sleep on my side or on my back, but that just doesn't happen. Years of post nasal drip has me sleeping curled to a near face down position. Without the mattresses I have now, sleeping is not all that restful.

For all of you that have back pain. Have you found a good mattress?

Problem may not be the mattress.

If it's lower back ache, two things really solve the problem:

1. don't sleep on your stomach (sleep on your side, with knees bent)

2. do back "exercise" - stretch the back muscles we never use -

lie on your back (when you go to bed and before you get up)

and bring your knees up to your chin - hold for 10 seconds.

If you have lower back aches, this should really help.

Good luck,

Jack

Any GOOD bed will do.

When I'm in a bad/average bed, my back hurts.

But I've had the Select Comfort for eight years and am glad I spent the money.

Some people don't like the way the Select Comfort is divided into two chambers (like a Waterbed).

Some don't like the way the Temperpedic buildup around you....says it makes them feel hot.

A Sterns and Foster traditional Bed with a Pillowtop is full on luxury.

I-comfort temptrapetic style beds are great. Sleep about 10 deg cooler than temptrapetic beds. I have the revelution. When we first got it it was really firm. About 3 weeks later it became great, a lot softer and I love it.

I used to wake up every single morning with back pain. Bought a Select Comfort about 12 years ago. The first morning I woke up in it I had no pain, and that hasn't changed.

I guess they're not for everyone, but it works for me.

"You get my Select Comfort when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!"

• 7 years later...

Just approaching you, There are many varieties of a mattress for back and neck pain relief. I personally use Hybrid signature mattress due to my lower back pain issue, I dont know you search there or not but once go and search on Nest Bedding Coupon at Reecoupons, here varieties of a mattress are available according to physical issues. I hope it will also work for you.