Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 2 (21 Feb 2012)

sperman

Good episode. Fun team challenge, love the BAR. As long as the elimination challenge is head-to-head I nearly always like it. I'm not a fan of Alan Alda but he made his shots when it counted to stay.

I was surprised Gabby had trouble with the pistol at the elimination range, when she went and picked it up she looked a lot more familiar with it than some of the other competitors. Just how you can usually tell a competition shooter from an average joe by their gun handling.

This may have been a case of big gun, small hands. I didn't realize how small Gabby's hands were until I re-watched the video. The tip of her weak hand finger pinky finger was barely on the knuckle of her strong hand. The tip of her weak hand middle finger was barely 3/4 of the way on the closes phalange of her strong hand middle finger. Consider that this is on a single stack.

The guns are better but the shooters are not. I can't believe Buckland and Forrest didn't make it. Those two can shoot. I guess its any mans game with the weird stuff they do.

Now that there is a professional shooting contract and cameo apperances on Top Guns and a free ticket to be on Team FHN 3 gun it looks like Top Shot is becoming a real competiton.

I will be on Season 5.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I like the show, I just hate the fact these competitors call themselves the best. Best at what, looking stupid? I keep hearing, "i'm competing against the best therefore I have to be the best. Bring on Jerry and lets see who is the best all around shooter. Good luck Jesse, start practicing with that blow gun and knife throwing.

The guns are better but the shooters are not. I can't believe Buckland and Forrest didn't make it. Those two can shoot. I guess its any mans game with the weird stuff they do.

Now that there is a professional shooting contract and cameo apperances on Top Guns and a free ticket to be on Team FHN 3 gun it looks like Top Shot is becoming a real competiton.

I will be on Season 5.

Very cool!

ETA - how early does that [camera] shooting start?

Edited by D.Hayden

I will be on Season 5.

Very cool!

I wasn't saying that I will be on the show as a sure thing. I don't think casting for Season 5 has even started. I meant that I will try out. I was being cocky saying that "I will be on Season 5".

Taping is 6 months give or take a month in advance.

The flirtation between the hot chick and the complete doofus with big earrings and his underwear hanging out the back of his pants is making me ill. :sick:

My office is right next to a college campus, so if I want to see that sickening phenomenon all I have to do is look out the window.

Yea, it wasn't pleasing to see. Specially since she' such a good shooter, why flirt and why that guy?

He seems to be the only one not scared $hitles$ of her.

The one thing that I see as a reoccurring issue is how the challenge setups don't account for wind making the challenge unfair. For example on the grenade launcher challenge, the dude on the left had a SIGNIFICANT visibility advantage over the guy on the right because the wind was blowing all of his smoke over into the right guys targets. Do you really need excessive explosions and smoke to confirm a valid hit? The only fair way to do that kind of challenge is to have them each shoot it on their own and use time/round count to determine the winner. But then again that probably wouldn't make good TV so that is probably why they didn't do it that way.

All I am saying is that if the guy on the Right lost because he couldn't see his target due to the smoke from the guy on the left that would have been pretty crappy. Luckily the dude on the left got stung by trying not to fully load the weapon and needed to do another reload.

When they let the elements and targets, wind and smoke in this case, play a significant roll in being able to successfully complete the challenge that is not cool. At that point it just comes down to luck, not shooting skill.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I can think of a dozen reasons, why the competition is invalid, and yet I still record it and look forward to watching. It's guns going bang and stuff exploding. What's not to like.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my wife also recorded the new Top Gun show. For those not familiar, Colby took the opportunity to work with the guest instructors while there, to film a whole second show. Top Gun is focused around the guns themselves rather than the shooters. Still some shooting and a small side competition, but I find the history of firearms just as fascinating as shooting them. In the last episode, Mike Seeklander got a small bit of redemption, shooting as a guest and won the small side competition. It's a fun show. Certainly better than the Dr Oz show my wife enjoys. Although, when Top Shot is on, I'm unproductive. When Dr. Oz is on, I make ammo, so I guess it's not all bad.

I can think of a dozen reasons, why the competition is invalid, and yet I still record it and look forward to watching. It's guns going bang and stuff exploding. What's not to like.

Exactly!!! Beats watching dancing with the stars. The explosions on the last episode were huge. I think ole Colby about shat himself when the first one went off and debris nearly hit everyone.

It looked like the girl almost dropped the gun when she fired on the nomination range.

Yeah, I watched it super slomo and she also closed her eyes. I can't wait for her to go so we can see less grab assing with her and her boy buddy. Sick of her already.sight.gif

I don't mind Gabby at least she's proven herself as an Olympic shooter. The other chick, we all know why she is there, has GOT TO GO. Can't stand her. Honestly I think the only reason females are on the show is to avoid all the crap about discrimination and to add to the drama of course. Sooner or later the physical part of the "games" will take them out. Just wish they would hurry up and get to that point.

Looking at the challenges from this season and previous seasons, I don't see any USPSA/IPSC champion beeing a shoe-in to winning the show.

A zone is what 7 x 11. USPSA is more about speed than precision. I would put money on a big name USPSA shooter of not EVER winning. 3 Gunner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe. Straight up pistol shooter not happening.

None of the Challenges have started from a Holster for starters...

Reloads come into play but they are rarely on guns that the Shooter 'knows'.

JJ was impressive. But he lasted because he did well at everything.

But if a national Revo champion steps up and shanks a short Rifle shot, they don't last. Has to really suck to get eliminated throwing rocks :)

And about the women...

Michelle is likely physically stronger than several of the men.

Gabby is a better shot than a lot of the men but is too small.

Seeing her run a Benelli M4 will be very telling.

Exactly!!! Beats watching dancing with the stars. The explosions on the last episode were huge. I think ole Colby about shat himself when the first one went off and debris nearly hit everyone.

I am disappointed in you. Nothing is better than Dancing with the Stars!!!

It looked like the girl almost dropped the gun when she fired on the nomination range.

Yeah, I watched it super slomo and she also closed her eyes. I can't wait for her to go so we can see less grab assing with her and her boy buddy. Sick of her already.sight.gif

I don't mind Gabby at least she's proven herself as an Olympic shooter. The other chick, we all know why she is there, has GOT TO GO. Can't stand her. Honestly I think the only reason females are on the show is to avoid all the crap about discrimination and to add to the drama of course. Sooner or later the physical part of the "games" will take them out. Just wish they would hurry up and get to that point.

Demographics is why they have are a wide variety of races, both genders, and a broad spectrum of shooting backgrounds on the show. I don't think anyone that actually shoots any form of competitive shooting with any regularity would mistake the cast for truely being some of the top marksmen in the country. However the shows recipe for talent works. People would rather watch a bikini model shoot a BAR than watch Dave Sevigny shoot it.

There is one very good reason us competitive shooting addicts should support the show is that it is promoting competive shooting in general. There are multiple references to USPSA, IDPA, and 3 gun. Furthermore several of the past champions and participants have become more involved in our cherished shooting sports which further shines the spotlight on what we love to do. Heck the FNH 3 gun team is pretty much a TV show in itself between Top Shot and 3 Gun Nation.

I will be on Season 5.

Very cool!

I wasn't saying that I will be on the show as a sure thing. I don't think casting for Season 5 has even started. I meant that I will try out. I was being cocky saying that "I will be on Season 5".

Memory serves, Season 5 has already been cast, and at least a portion probably already taped. They normally run about a season ahead. Remember, they will show us the next seasons competitors in about 11 weeks. I can just about guarantee, the Mayor will not be appearing in Season 5. Now season 6, that's another matter. You could easily be on there and should definitely try out. I've seen you shoot and you definitely don't have any problems with the attribute that keeps me off the show. The desire to not look dumb on National TV. :roflol:

I will be on Season 5.

Very cool!

Memory serves, Season 5 has already been cast, and at least a portion probably already taped. They normally run about a season ahead. Remember, they will show us the next seasons competitors in about 11 weeks. I can just about guarantee, the Mayor will not be appearing in Season 5. Now season 6, that's another matter. You could easily be on there and should definitely try out. I've seen you shoot and you definitely don't have any problems with the attribute that keeps me off the show. The desire to not look dumb on National TV. :roflol:

Sorry sir no season 5 casting call as of yet. I'm on their email list after trying out for season 4. When I tried out for season 4 they told me they had plans for two more after season 4. Season 5 appears to be behind schedule,

http://www.history.com/shows/top-shot/articles/top-shot-casting

Here is the response u get when u email the generic address.

Thank you for your interest in appearing on a future season of Top Shot.

At this time, there are no set dates for filming the next season of

the show, but producers will review your submission. Please check

www.pilgrimstudios.com/casting/topshot periodically for updates. Once

dates have been released, producers may contact you for more

information.

- The Top Shot Casting Staff

Unless u know something we don't Mr. Chuck?

Jesse, why don't you look into going onto Top Shot as an expert? :cheers:

That's pretty much the only way I could see myself on that show - I suck at throwing stuff, that's why I shoot guns in the first place (instead of basketballs). :lol:

Edit: Told my friend that EP2 was awesome and he says:

"LIES!!! you can't convince me there wasn't at least a horseshoe throwing challenge at a minimum!" :roflol:

Edited by DyNo!

That does not sound good for the show continuing past this season. They should be well into filming now if they were planning on doing another season.

That is kinda what I was thinking but the show seems to be doing great. Every person that asks me about the shooting I do I tell them that there is a TV show about it now. They then reply "I have seen that". I reply "Is it called Top Shot?" Their answer is always yes. I then explain the real shooting occurs on 3 Gun Nation.