Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you had one week to improve.

Babaganoosh

Ok in a nutshell I want to beat my cousin at USPSA this season in general, but going to a match this Sunday. I started shooting USPSA last April and shooting handguns 18 months ago. I made C class in Production last year. He is also a C class shooter but he is a little better than me overall. I have beaten him in some stages but for the most part he beats me. He has been shooting Limited though so it hasn't been exactly even. However his times are usually faster. Let's put it this way. I think he is about 10-15% better than me overall.

There is a match on Sunday and we have both been talking trash about it. We both decided to register and go as of late last night. I just got a pistol to shoot Limited with 2 weeks ago. M&P pro in .40. I've put 300 rounds downrange so far. Haven't gotten used to the snappiness quite yet but it's something I can definitely tame.

The big question to all the big dogs, and little dogs....If you had one week to improve, what would you do, and how would you do it?

Here is what I have at my disposal.

I have a shot timer and was doing some draws from surrender last night. Consistent 1.5 seconds to first shot. I was dry firing at a spot on the wall. Was practicing my reloads as well. Dryfire, change mag, dryfire, change mag, dry fire, change mag, all the way down the belt. Didn't get a time on that yet to see improvement.

I have a spot I can shoot at on private property to practice. I have a berm that is approx 40-50 feet wide. I don't have side berms so everything has to be done shooting straight downrange, maybe a little angle but not much. I can move laterally left to right or right to left as well as towards the berm.

I have 10 USPSA type target stands and plenty of targets. I have approx 8 mini-poppers. Actually have a homemade texas star my cousin and I made. I have 10 assorted sized metal plates that we hang from 4 foot poles.

I am home from work by 1pm and can be shooting by 1:30 to 1:45 so plenty of daylight.

I have way more 9mm and .22 ammo at the moment then I do .40, however I plan on loading a lot of rounds come Tuesday or Wed. I have my 9mm Production rig (Beretta 92) and I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45 (no holster) to practice with. That's in addition to my M&P which I will be using Sunday.

I don't lack or excel in any one aspect of this game. The only thing that I don't have down pat yet is stage breakdown. The only way I can get better at that is shooting matches right? There isn't one thing in particular that I think I need to work on.

So guys, what should I do this week? Anyone got a program they think I should go with or advice in general. What drills should I do? What things should I practice? Obviously I want to map out my week in order to keep myself organized and on track. If I notice I need improvement in one area I can always add more practice to that area.

This whole thing might sound kinda crazy, but the opportunity presented itself and nothing drives me harder and faster then competition. So this is a good motivator. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to waste my time practicing stuff that won't really help. I'd like to be efficient in my training. Thanks guys. If there is anything I left out I'll add it. If anyone has any questions fire away.

One week to improve, what is your plan?

Edited by Babaganoosh

Dryfire,dryfire,drydire, one week is not really alot of time to see much improvement. Instead of just dryfiring standing draw for time dryfire them in slow motion to see where you can be more efficient,then move to drawing while moving unless your practicing for the steel challenge. As for reloads the best drill for this is the Burkett reload, start with the gun on target with front sight crystal clear on buzzer simoultaniously grab mag and hit mag release while keeping the gun in your line of sight,stop just where the mag meets the gun, remember to look the mag to the gun. Remember to stay relaxed during all of this. Try doing it with your eyes closed to see how your body feels tense,unnecessary movement etc. When you go to live fire work on accuracy right now from a bench then freestyle accuracy try to make one hole.

Now each night you go to bed lay down relax and visualize everything about match day starting with waking up to shooting all Alphas to stage teardown and drive home.

Just to get your started. :cheers: :cheers:

Read this thread by Sean Gaines plenty of priceless info

How is your stage management? In other words, you and your cousin may be the same at marksmanship skills but does he just break down and shoot the stage better overall? That part is really experience but you can start looking at stages online and start thinking at how you could shoot them for the best possible time and points.

However, as already mentioned, dryfiring is vital. You have to do that and supplement with livefire.

Is he beating you at time or points or both? In the C class, there is such a wide margin of skill level that if he is a 59% shooter and you are at 41%, it's going to be tough to move up that quick.

I know I tried Atlanta Arms & Ammo through my 40 this last weekend and it took a lot of the snap out and it turned into quicker splits and back on target fast. Good ammo.

Eliminate any malfunctions. Make sure everything is clean and ready to go.

Dryfire/Dryfire/Dryfire

In truth? Print this out and take it to the range:

1. Get on stage quickly, confirm round count with RO/stage description sheet

2. Divide rounds by your division capacity, this tells you the optimum/minimum number of positions you need to find to shoot

3. Try to find those positions where you can engage all of the targets in the least amount of movement

4. Now memorize each target and order of engagement at each position

5. Repeat Step 4. until time to shoot

6. Relax and shoot. Don't miss, take great shots.

If you do just that, you'll jump out of C class very quickly.

Edited by Matt Griffin

He's beating me in time, but generally only 3-5 seconds per stage. Points he edges me a little but if I had the extra points in my C zone hits we would be pretty close to even.

He doesn't get to the targets any faster then I do, he just gets his shots off quicker in my opinion. Towards the end of last year I started slowing down a bit to "call my shots" better. I have been trying to track my sights. This is where I know I will improve more than him because he doesn't do any of that, he uses "the force"

I think I also lose a little time per target because I stay on them too long. Sometimes I wait to see my hits when I KNOW I shouldn't. I've been practicing not waiting to see my hits because I know in the long run it will be better.

I was getting good at tracking my sights on the 9mm, but with the .40 they pop up high and I can't follow them the whole way. I do reacquire them and break the second shot though.

Another thing to add is that I have shot enough USPSA and Steel matches to be relaxed and not nervous. Played a lot of sports in the past and I perform under pressure, not fall apart.

Hmm, what else. Yeah I know it's not a lot of time but I wanna see what I can do after a week of intense practice. Then I will settle into a normal practice routine after that.

Great advice so far. I'll update what I am doing and working on.

Matt gave you an excellent, on stage procedure. To what others have said, it might be beneficial to go to the video training section and watch a few of the videos and then read the critiques.

Video a short session of dry-fire and some live fire, post it up and listen to the advice. For the best feedback, set the camera so that we can see your feet and at least a few positions. Obviously put it on the strong side so the draw can be seen as well. Then FORGET about the camera and just shoot.

Go to Robbie's Action Target Youtube video.

This will make a dramatic improvement in your points.

You can shave seconds off your time if you really pick your the spots you stop to shoot. Hitting that spot is critical and be ready to shoot. ( I know I lose seconds each time because I hesitate too much when I arrive).

Stage strategy is being able to break down the COF into smaller problems, then break each one of those down into which target to take first and which target to leave on.

In dry fire, really concentrate on eyes then gun transition drills. Remember your dry fire routine is training your subconscious mind. Do not train your subconscious mind to be lazy.

Its been said before, typically you may have four draws in a match. So a really fast draw may give you a 1-1.5 second advantage. Your transitions between targets can save you more time on each stage. Being able to hit your target when you get there, is even more time saved.

If you know where your front sight was when you broke the shot, you do not need to see your hits. Seeing your hits is probably costing you more time than you realize.

In truth? Print this out and take it to the range:

1. Get on stage quickly, confirm round count with RO/stage description sheet

2. Divide rounds by your division capacity, this tells you the optimum/minimum number of positions you need to find to shoot

3. Try to find those positions where you can engage all of the targets in the least amount of movement

4. Now memorize each target and order of engagement at each position

5. Repeat Step 4. until time to shoot

6. Relax and shoot. Don't miss, take great shots.

If you do just that, you'll jump out of C class very quickly.

+1 For the next week dryfire every day and work on solid transitions. Work on accuracy at the range.

Most important: Program the stage completely, relax, shoot.

I think that I would go the other direction and practice group shooting with your new pistol. Find out what you need to do to break an accurate shot. Find out what you need to do to prep the trigger to break an accurate shot (sooner). Shoot groups in dryfire. Practice prepping your trigger and breaking an accurate shot on a porch swing or rocking chair.

Let's face it, you aren't going to get any better not learning the basics first and the fundamentals are the most boring part and hardest part. Beat him over the long run, not just at one match. :devil:

Two things that will make the biggest improvement for most people, transitions and set ups.

Look up Brian's transition drill and work on entering positions with the gun ready to shoot.

Forget draws, and if shooting limited, not limited 10, don't worry about reloads, you can work on that next week. Transitions will likely be your biggest gain followed by set ups

Two things that will make the biggest improvement for most people, transitions and set ups.

Look up Brian's transition drill and work on entering positions with the gun ready to shoot.

Forget draws, and if shooting limited, not limited 10, don't worry about reloads, you can work on that next week. Transitions will likely be your biggest gain followed by set ups

Funny, after I wrote my last post I realized I had to work on transitions from one target to the next and getting on target when entering a position. Those are my slow areas.

I am probably pretty good at my reloads due to shooting Production. I posted my draw to first shot time just because I knew it. We only draw once in a match so I am only dedicating a little time to that with the focus on getting my sights on target quickly.

Been doing some dry firing drills in the apt today. Tomo will be a combination of live fire drills and then some more dry firing after dinner in the apt.

Tuesday

I'm going to setup and work Brian's transition drill and Mike's movement drill on Ben's website. Then finish with a little bit of grouping work.

Not sure what dry fire drills I am going to do tomo yet. Suggestions?

Funny, after I wrote my last post I realized I had to work on transitions from one target to the next and getting on target when entering a position. Those are my slow areas.

I am probably pretty good at my reloads due to shooting Production. I posted my draw to first shot time just because I knew it. We only draw once in a match so I am only dedicating a little time to that with the focus on getting my sights on target quickly.

Been doing some dry firing drills in the apt today. Tomo will be a combination of live fire drills and then some more dry firing after dinner in the apt.

Tuesday

I'm going to setup and work Brian's transition drill and Mike's movement drill on Ben's website. Then finish with a little bit of grouping work.

Not sure what dry fire drills I am going to do tomo yet. Suggestions?

Figure out how to disturb your mind before the shot, and then observe the sights through the shot. The problem with pure, cold dryfire is that it's a great way to build muscle memory and to classify higher, but it doesn't train the hardest part of the game, making the shot when things get exciting. I used to do a lot of drills, both dry and live, with a reload between every shot. You'll find that you stop paying attention to the shot because the reload takes so much more of your brain to complete; work on it until you can properly see both the shot and the reload.

I'm going to suggest a different approach. Your not going to be able to make a considerable improvement in stage break down and speed in just one week. Add to that, switching to a new gun and going from Minor to Major and your asking alot of yourself in a short period. You already know your a bit slower, so capitalize on that and make every shot count. Focus on the A hits and no penalties and you may put yourself in a better position to beat your buddy. Hearing "2 Alpha" all the time your being scored will put the pressure on him more than " Charlie Delta" with an equal or slightly lesser time. This will also insure you will be taking less make up shots. Of course, this assumes that you are already an accurate shooter...... My 2cents, from another C class shooter!!!!

Yeah, nosteel is right. There's no "that was easy" button to push here. You're skills are what they are and his are what they are. That being said, he can be a better shooter while you can be a better competitor. I have a couple of buddies who kick my butt in practice all the time, but I win my fair share at the matches, simply because I apply some good strategery to my game.

1st: As long as you say that he is better than you, he always will be. The first step to winning is to realize and believe that you can win. So much of this game is mental. Every time you tell yourself that he is better, you hand him the match. If he's talking smack back to you, then he is not as sure about the pecking order as you are. He has doubt as to his ability to beat you every time. Capatalize on that doubt by also believing that you can win.

2nd: Try to shoot before him in as many stages as possible. Throw down your best runs, but don't push yourself to the point of mistakes. Throw down respectable runs with times you can be proud of, but like nosteel said, score lots of points. That puts the pressure on your buddy to beat you. When you are shooting, you look much faster to your friends than you feel. The same goes for your friends. They feel like they are going slow. If you have thrown down a solid run, it puts the pressure on them to do better and not make mistakes. It only takes a few penalties to even the odds. When your done with your stage, tell him a little higher hit factor than you really shot. Just adds to the pressure.

3rd: Stay focused. If you make a mistake, don't try to make it up. The points or the time are lost. Let em go and get back to the task at hand. You should have each stage memorized so well that you can imagine each shot on each target... including sight picture. You should be able to close your eyes and imagine the entire routine from buzzer to show clear. If you know it that well, you will be better equiped to deal with problems in the stage.

4th: 100% reliable. You gear has to run because you can't stand on the podium if you don't finish the race. That means your pistol, mags and ammo are 100% cleaned, checked and ready to go. If you don't have a case gage, then chamber check all of your ammo before the match. It doesn't take long.

5th: Stop second guessing your hits. See the sight on target, break the shot and move on. Trust that you hit the target. If you see your shot break bad, then by all means take the makeup shot. If you see your sight clean, then assume your hits are there. I had the same problem, until my coach pointed out that I generally don't throw more than 1 penalty in an entire match and my A hit ratio is usually better than 75%. Meaning I generally hit what I aim at. He pointed out that I was wasting time admiring my hits rather than getting on with the stage. Now, it's all go, go, go and wonder of wonders... even though I don't stop to verify, my hits are still there.

Edited by co-exprs

Can't respond that much to the previous two posts since I'm posting via my phone at work. However I dont think I ever said anything about it being easy. Nor am I looking for an easy path. I'm simply looking for the most efficient ways to spend the few number of days I have before the match.

It's only a weeks time, but I guarantee I can make a decent amount of improvement in that time. Especially since it's been a few months since I shot a match. I shot a steel match 2 weeks ago and that dusted a little rust off. Same with my practice so far. I've already noticed a bit of improvement in the past 3 days.

Ok, well I gave you some game day strategy stuff. In the mean time, for a C class shooter, it's all about fundamentals.

You need to work with a timer. Not so much to see how fast you can go, because it honestly doesn't matter. You're speed is what it is. You do however need to use the timer so that you can hear the beep. Concentrate on reacting to the start of the beep. The beep is .3sec long. Most people listen for the tone, but tend to react to the body of or the end of the tone. Train yourself to react to the start of the tone.

Before your draw, index your strong side arm against your holster. For me, its the same spot on my wrist touching the same spot on my holster every time. Don't just let your arms hang in empty air. This technique is stupid simple, but it really cuts down on the number of times you get a bad grip on the draw.

Learn to draw and do something else. By that I mean, put a target or two on the wall and draw while stepping out of your make believe starting box. Take a step or two.

Work on your transitions. Most people put targets close together for transition practice. Tack targets on opposite walls and work on 180 transitions. Then add in a 180 transition with a reload. A great drill I do, is to place targets on opposite walls, and slightly offset. On the buzzer, draw into the first target while stepping out, then transition into the second target on the opposite wall, while busting a reload. Do all this while still moving down the center of the room.

Edited by co-exprs

If you want to beat him in a specific match and your club posts its stages ahead of time you can set up those stages and run them on the clock. Dry fire them if you can't live fire them. In fact, dry fire them even if you can live fire them.

I would just figure out how to get in his head and mess him up, while shooting your game with no misses or procedurals.

:devil:

Then practice for the long term.

If you put to much effort into "improvement" within a week, personally I think that would make me try to hard and crash and burn.

If you want to beat him in a specific match and your club posts its stages ahead of time you can set up those stages and run them on the clock. Dry fire them if you can't live fire them. In fact, dry fire them even if you can live fire them.

No idea what the stages are, plus I wouldn't do that anyway. Too close to cheating for my tastes.