Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Cross Dominance - Best Answer?

Ian_

A newbie here.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. I've been taping the lens on my right side for the past year, i.e., shoot left handed, sight with left eye. I shoot with both eyes open and the tape eliminates the ghosting or double images that I see.

Now after reading this thread and another on this Forum about cross dominance, I'm confused. Do we want to put the tape on the dominant side or the non-dominant side? Last night just for fun I put the tape over my left side (left handed, right eye dominant) and shot a few Airsoft rounds in the house. Granted it was only about 7 yards but pretty awesome group. Maybe better than when I sight with my non-dominant left eye. I'm going to try to get to the range today to try it with live fire.

To summarize:

1. Tape the DOMINANT eye to force the non-dominant to step up?

2. Tape the NON-DOMINANT eye to let the dominant take charge?

How is Brian Enos doing it? (Still unclear to me)

If I find Option 2 is the best route for me, that means I would have to shoot my rifle right handed. I could do that but it would feel weird at first. My younger brother is a lefty as well and he shoots pistols left and rifles right. Maybe that's the way to go.

Edited by KJFpdx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That second post nailed it for me.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Left dominate, right handed.

I have always shot right handed, and shoot both eyes open.

Every once in awhile I find myself quick blinking because I switched gun to my left eye.

I'll even switch to left eye sometimes as my right fatigues...

I go through a match shooting both eyes... I've noticed it helps me with situational awareness.

A newbie here.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. I've been taping the lens on my right side for the past year, i.e., shoot left handed, sight with left eye. I shoot with both eyes open and the tape eliminates the ghosting or double images that I see.

Now after reading this thread and another on this Forum about cross dominance, I'm confused. Do we want to put the tape on the dominant side or the non-dominant side? Last night just for fun I put the tape over my left side (left handed, right eye dominant) and shot a few Airsoft rounds in the house. Granted it was only about 7 yards but pretty awesome group. Maybe better than when I sight with my non-dominant left eye. I'm going to try to get to the range today to try it with live fire.

To summarize:

If I find Option 2 is the best route for me, that means I would have to shoot my rifle right handed. I could do that but it would feel weird at first. My younger brother is a lefty as well and he shoots pistols left and rifles right. Maybe that's the way to go.

Bring the gun over to your dominant eye. I am a lefty and right eye dominant too and that is the best option for me. I also keep both eyes open..

To summarize:

Over the years, I did both.

Early on, when my right (non-dominant) eye could focus as quickly as my left eye, I taped my left eye. But in the last few years of competition (as I got older), I noticed that my right eye was not able to focus back and forth between the targets and the sights as quickly my left eye could.

So I taped my right eye and began shooting with my left eye. To do that, I didn't change my upper body's position at all, I turned my head slightly to the right so I could so I could line upn the sights.