Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Online gunsmith course?

1911vm

Youtube.com is a good one. LOL. Actually Bobby Keigans of FGW has quite a few very informative how-to vids up. As for accredited courses, I don't know of any online. There's disassembly, then there's repair and fitting. It's hard to teach a "feel" online. Diasassembly is easy, theory of operation is easy, how much pressure to apply to the file when cutting a .004" chamfer...not so easy. As a carpenter, I'm sure you totally understand the "feel" reference. I've never picked up any AGI books so I can't comment on them.

You can take a vacation and hit a college course in NC. Cylinder and Slide has a course as well, but it is NOT cheap.

I decided to learn the correct way. I am a carpenter but just want to learn. I do not have bad habits because I do not know much LOL. What is a good online course ?

thank you

Not to sound like a smarta?? but did you learn how to be a really good carpenter on-line? No, from watching and doing and asking questions. I would ask around your area to find a gunsmith that would be willing to help and give you an apprenticeship. You might get lucky.

Good Luck

Check the NRA week long crash courses. They usually do at the major gunsmith colleges. The one want2race mentioned is at Montgomery Comm College. Sometimes the summer courses are taught by industry greats. I did a Ruger SA class there taught by Hamilton Bowen. Learned more in that week than I ever coulda on YouTube or on my own.

Check the NRA week long crash courses. They usually do at the major gunsmith colleges. The one want2race mentioned is at Montgomery Comm College. Sometimes the summer courses are taught by industry greats. I did a Ruger SA class there taught by Hamilton Bowen. Learned more in that week than I ever coulda on YouTube or on my own.

You must be flooded over there. That course at Montgomery has a great rep. Good gunsmiths are hard to find.