Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
crawdad

Timer Questions & Advice

Regarding the AMG Lab timer, I think the Bluetooth integration with Practiscore is a game changer. As a stand alone I really like the adjustable volume, preset profiles, sensitivity adjustments and multiple par times. Only down side I have seen so far is its a bit slow to set new par times. It's nice to see a new timer that actually has something new and different to offer, while still allowing you to do all the basics well.

https://youtu.be/fR0_x0vutQU

I just got back from the Magnus Cup where many RO's were using the new AMG Commander shot timer. For basic use it looked like it worked fine. There were some RO's trying to use the Blue Tooth function to sync the stage time with the tablet. This worked for some and didn't with others. Not sure what the issues were with the ones that couldn't get the Blue Tooth function to work. All I know is that as an MD, I absolutely wouldn't want to deal with Blue Tooth connectivity issues mid match when it takes less than 3 seconds for the RO to input the stage time manually. All it takes is one stage to have a delay longer than a couple minutes screwing around with a failing Blue Tooth functionality to completely invalidate whatever time savings it may have saved. New features like that are "Cool" until they log jam a stage because they don't work.

I have an opposite experience from a few dozen matches now. One of ROs from the Magnus Cup also reported successful use of the timer. I will follow up with the MD in regards to the technical difficulties.

Looking for a new timer.  Thinking either the AMG labs or CE pocket pro.  I used to have a PACT MK IV that worked great.  Looking for a smaller practice model this time.  

On the AMG labs model;

Does the Bluetooth connect easily to an iPhone?   How durable is it for drops and stuff?  I’m guessing the silicone case is a no brainer. 

Thanks.  

On 6/10/2019 at 2:28 PM, 3quartertime said:

On the AMG labs model;

Does the Bluetooth connect easily to an iPhone?   How durable is it for drops and stuff?  I’m guessing the silicone case is a no brainer. 

Connect to Bluetooth on iPhone is very easy, its done from withing Practiscore, just choose the timer to connect to and done.

At our local clubs it has been dropped accidentally and occasionally, no issues.

I’m dying to order one of these but I’m trying to hold off. We go through pocket pros like crazy

26 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I’m dying to order one of these but I’m trying to hold off. We go through pocket pros like crazy

Go through pocket pro’s ? We still use some of the originals bought years ago. Pretty reliable, simple device.

I dropped the PACT MK IV many times and I’d say it’s still going strong!

The blue tooth to your phone function sounds pretty cool. 

Thanks all!

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Go through pocket pro’s ? We still use some of the originals bought years ago. Pretty reliable, simple device.

Over the last year we’ve had three go down. They get used three weekends a month though.

12 hours ago, 3quartertime said:

I dropped the PACT MK IV many times and I’d say it’s still going strong!

The blue tooth to your phone function sounds pretty cool. 

Thanks all!

Unfortunately we have dropped a couple of them...  No problems with them, but we have the silicone case on all of our timers...  I would certainly buy the silicone case...  They are also reported to be better in the wet.

Bluetooth connectivity adds two prominent features...  It helps in general scoring of a match...  there are no issues regarding the correct time because it is sent to PractiScore electronically...  Plus, the scorekeeper can grab the time from anywhere on the range/bay...  On a stage where the RO ends up at the front of the range and the scorekeeper scores targets in the back before walking up to the RO, you simply press the PractiScore timer icon and grab the time from wherever you are...  Very handy...  If he shoots again...  Press the timer icon again and grab the new time.

The second improvement is that the Bluetooth connection passes all the shot data directly to PractiScore...  Every shooter that was scored with an AMG timer will have all their splits and transitions saved with their scoring data in PractiScore...  The real power comes with using PractiScore Competitor to enhance this data...  PractiScore Competitor provides friendly tools to display individual shot sequences...  or graph them...  or graph your shot string along with any other shooter that shot the match (that was timed with an AMG timer).

Awesome!

Contacted AMG Labs.  The orders take between 30 and 60 days.  

Yes, Alex is swamped, but it's worth the wait...

Here's a video of one of our shooters at a recent match...  The shot graph is what you see in PractiScore Competitor...  The red arrow coordinating the shots to the video action was added by Alex, but it displays how you can follow along and see where every shot goes...  and how long it took to make it.