Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

28 minutes ago, euxx said:

...and more stuff is coming for that AMG timer.

Charlie, you really may need to rethink your recommendations fro the PocketPro ones. At least until they will figure out how to rip off feature of AMG timer :)

I am sure that the new AMG Timer will be cool and have a bunch of new features. Yay for innovation!!!

But I am not going to recommend a product to anyone until I have seen it in action and know for a fact that it's good. I can't in good faith jump on the "New hotness" bandwagon when a product is still in a "Pre-order" status and has zero proven track record of reliability or performance. The Pocket Pro II timer on the other hand has a very long and respected track record of great reliability and performance. That is a product I can recommend to anyone and know for a fact that it will be a solid tool to use for years of both Live and Dry fire practice. 

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, euxx said:

Charlie, I didn't say now. Do your own research.

huh???........... I am confused. The original poster and multiple other people in this thread have asked "I am looking for a shot timer to buy, which one should I get?". I have provided these people a great shot timer suggestion of the Pocket Pro II which they can get "Right Now". Any experienced shooter with who attends matches or practices also knows that the Pocket Pro II has an awesome track record in reliability and performance. Then you come in and bust my balls on why I am not recommending the AMG timer because its the new hotness never mind that people can't even get it today because its on pre-order status. I am not sure why anyone would recommend any product that isn't even released to the masses yet or has a proven track record of solid function. Lets see how that timer does a year out after its released to the masses. Hell, I might even buy one of the early ones just to test it out. But just because I would buy one out of curiosity doesn't mean that I would automatically recommend it to others.   

Edited by CHA-LEE

20 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

https://www.amg-lab.com/

If you're a competitive shooter, you might want to go with the AMG Labs timer... 

It's a great timer, plus it has the ability to export stage times directly to PractiScore tablets using Bluetooth...  Individual shot times are also saved in the PractiScore match database and can be downloaded into PractiScore Competitor where they can be displayed graphically...  Multiple shooters can be compared visually on a shot by shot basis...  It's a great tool!

do you have some sort of pre-production version?   Show us some screen shots of info downloaded into practiscore from actual matches so we can see how it works. 

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

huh???........... I am confused. The original poster and multiple other people in this thread have asked "I am looking for a shot timer to buy, which one should I get?".

The original poster asked his question in 2001. It is 2019 now and I'd think available options had changed. And neither of them said they need new timer today. If they can wait 30..60 days to receive a pre-order for the AMG one - in a long run that would be a better timer. I still encourage you to place an order and try it. You can check some user reviews on pistol forum at

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?33692-AMG-Lab-Shot-Timer&p=827504&viewfull=1#post827504

and on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFopaUyPiWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4VmKKgnks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNMGncyohbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goCiEW2MazM

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

...Then you come in and bust my balls on why I am not recommending the AMG timer because its the new hotness... Hell, I might even buy one of the early ones just to test it out. But just because I would buy one out of curiosity doesn't mean that I would automatically recommend it to others. 

You misunderstood me. All I said is to check it out and I'm certain that you'd change your mind after that... or a year after.

2 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

do you have some sort of pre-production version?   Show us some screen shots of info downloaded into practiscore from actual matches so we can see how it works. 

This is what PractiScore Competitor app shows for some real SC match and we just started to scratch the surface. Most of this stuff is already in the app release and another update is coming in a next few days.

1) the timer icon is shown next to the stage time when timer data is available

2,3) detailed shot breakdown is shown on stage info and review screen. The the same review screen is also shown in the PractiScore app when accepting scores

4) side-by-side string's shots comparison

5) side-by-side shooter's shots comparison

554196352_Screenshot_20190117-1337272.thumb.png.710ebff91d393e2dc25f7912c9522e8b.png Screenshot_20190117-133830.thumb.png.b81deffbe3b300c9faa5fab59e6a5bdc.png Screenshot_20190117-134220.thumb.png.d65d1755589a9f2b396c4ccd75083af7.png Screenshot_20190117-134050.thumb.png.d459b1fe7813db18cdfd14e881a08bff.png Screenshot_20190117-134128.thumb.png.96c0a0ccd477014fa8697f576199fd0e.png

And there is also something new coming. Hopefully in a few weeks...

7 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Yes...  Actually it's a production version now...  Alex is currently building units from the pre-order list and sending them out.

Jeff's videos and Eugene's screen shots should help you get an idea of how it works...  Although most of the examples shown above are for Steel Challenge, PractiScore Competitor also graphs multiple shooters in USPSA matches...  It's a good teaching/learning tool...  If you shoot a match with a shooter you are competing against (and you both were scored with an AMG timer and a current version of PractiScore) you can compare the two performances throughout the stage...  You can see who took longer to transition between target groups...  Whose splits were faster...  If you or another shooter took extra shots...  or missed a target (less shots)...

In spite of all the gee wiz connectivity stuff, it's also a great timer...  Go to the AMG Labs Support page and download the User Guide...  It has a good explanation of all the features...  Actually, here's a link:  https://www.amg-lab.com/pages/support

A couple of interesting features for dry firing...  The AMG timer has two start settings...  Instant and delay...  Instant is press the button get the beep (for matches)...  Delay has two settings (for dry fire)...  Fixed and random...  Set fixed to 4 seconds and random to 2 seconds and the timer will start (beep) between 4 and 6 seconds...  It has three Par time settings...  Set one for your draw, the second for your reload, and the third for you finished time...  or just use one.

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Although most of the examples shown above are for Steel Challenge, PractiScore Competitor also graphs multiple shooters in USPSA matches...  It's a good teaching/learning tool...

That's the last screenshot in my post. It works for all matches. IPSC, Steel, TimePlus/3gun, IDPA or ICORE. I can find some examples from longer stages...

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Just got my timer yesterday. Works well for dry fire so far. Next to test it on the range with live fire and PractiScore.

I think mines got lost in the mail.You got yours before me. 

I placed the order on January 02, 2019 and got it yesterday. They’ll send you an email when it ships. Glad I got the clip and the skin. The skin gives it body armor and makes it grippier.

20 hours ago, R1valdez said:

I ordered mines on 12/21/18. It’s been in the mail for almost a month now lol

Go to the AMG web site...  click the menu icon and then 'Contact Us' and send Alex an email...  He has completed and shipped lots of timers...  It's possible that one could have been 'misplaced' by the postal system.

33 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Go to the AMG web site...  click the menu icon and then 'Contact Us' and send Alex an email...  He has completed and shipped lots of timers...  It's possible that one could have been 'misplaced' by the postal system.

I’ve talked to Alex already and he contacted usps. Usps said it’s going to take 4-6 weeks to get here. 

14 minutes ago, R1valdez said:

I’ve talked to Alex already and he contacted usps. Usps said it’s going to take 4-6 weeks to get here. 

4-6 weeks?!? Where is it coming from, some small village in Afghanistan?

On 3/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, Sarge said:

4-6 weeks?!? Where is it coming from, some small village in Afghanistan?

lol yup. I had ordered stuff from China that got here sooner haha

Edited by R1valdez

23 hours ago, R1valdez said:

I see...  So the postal system really did screw up... 

Sorry to hear that...  Hope you get it soon...  You will love it when you finally get it!

• 4 weeks later...

So...besides the AMG one, where are we these days as best one primarily for dry fire? From what I've been able to gather it seems to be the CED7000? Thanks, need to pick something up this week.

So...besides the AMG one, where are we these days as best one primarily for dry fire? From what I've been able to gather it seems to be the CED7000? Thanks, need to pick something up this week.

If you just need beeps for dry fire.. Just use one of the phone apps while you wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a review of this on my Range Diary Thread. I have listed it below.............

During this practice session I also gave the new AMG Commander shot timer a good workout. I got this shot timer on Thursday after waiting 60 days to get it on the Pre-Order. The menu is pretty intuitive and its easy to make setting changes or review strings of fire. While using it for this practice session we had a good mix of different loudness guns to see how it worked on different guns. We had a couple of Limited Major, Carry Optics in 9 Minor and a PCC in 9 minor. To get the shots picked up on all of these different guns we had to turn the sensitivity up to level 8 out of a maximum of 9. This was also with it being able to pick up shots while still being about 5 – 7 yards away from the shooter. We could probably use a lower sensitivity setting if we pointed the microphone on the front towards the shooter and also stayed physically closer to the shooter. Overall the Commander shot timer worked without issue. It is supposed to have a Blue Tooth connectivity function to be able to pull times directly into your phone via Practiscore. But I haven’t played with that function yet. I wanted to see if it would work as a basic timer first before I got distracted by other fancy features.

From a personal use perspective I don’t find this AMG Commander timer as user friendly as my Pocket Pro II. When the Commander is clipped onto your pocket the screen is facing directly outwards so you can’t see it when looking down. You have to unclip it from your pocket and rotate the screen towards your face to see the output. The Pocket Pro II has the screen on the top edge so it is facing up towards you. This eliminates the need to remove the timer from its location to see the times or review the shots.

The screen location on the Commander also makes ROing others more challenging because it prefers the mic to be pointed at the shooter to pick up the shots. The mic is on the front just below the screen so you can’t see the screen if the mic is pointed at the shooter. The solution for this is to jack up the sensitivity to the max so the screen/mic can face the RO but still pick up the shots. But this can lead to missed shots if you are not right on top of the shooter or invalid “Shots” being heard because of accidental bumps on the timer being picked up because the sensitivity is super high. I reverted to holding the shot timer in a manner that had the screen pointing straight up and that seemed to work the best all be it an awkward manner of holding the timer.

The cool thing that I like about the AMG Commander is that it has a Multi-Par Time function as well as the ability to change the volume of the Beep. These two features are awesome for dry fire use. I still need to do some testing with it in dry fire to see how it works out from an ergonomics perspective.

I still need to do a lot more testing with the new AMG Commander shot timer to see how it works in all of its functionality. But so far, I don’t see anything on it that would make me replace my trusty Pocket Pro II.

16 hours ago, Deserteaglexxx said:

Just received my amg today will update when I get out and use it a bit. 

Glad you got it!

https://www.amg-lab.com/pages/support

The link above has a .pdf support page that explains the workings of the AMG Commander...  Download a copy to your phone in case you want to look something up later.