Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever shoot a round of Clays with your 3 gun SG?

Kyreb

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Our club's got an elevated stand that sits on top of a thrower with the wobbling base. I take my son out with his 20ga semi while I run my M1 and we shoot a couple rounds against each other every time we go to the range. It's great practice and a lot of fun having him along.

Edited by pater

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Benelli M2 specifically for 3-gun; 24" barrel w/6+1 Nordic ext tube. I like shooting trap & skeet for cross-training purposes. You should have seen the looks I got for some of the old timers when I showed up at the range for the first time - that was before I went 21/25 on my first string & then a bunch wanted to see the Benelli - too bad yoy can only load singles for trap & doubles for skeet ...

I had actually thought about buying a Briley 4" extension at one point to shoot trap & skeet with but I quickly found out something I've known all along - it's not the equipement but the shooter behind the gun that's makes the difference ... that $100 for the Briley buys a lot of shells ...

• 1 month later...

Shoot a round of 5 Stand today with my Benelli

A fellow shooter shoots his Open Benelli at five stand.

5 Stand has made me realize that I am a right handed shooter with a left dominant eye that sees distance with my left eye better than my right eye. My left handed shooting scores are better than my right handed shooter scores.

So right hand - right eye for pistol. Left hand left eye for flyers. Rifle optics - doesn't really matter which eye/hand I use.

Talk about being as screwed up as a football bat!

I normally shoot the 21" barrel for 3-gun and use a 28" for 5-Stand. With the 10 round mag tube it almost looks like a semi-auto O/U :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

"Stink Eye" is mild.

My buddies got kicked off a skeet range recently. One was told the pistol grip on his 24" 11-87 was "tactical, not sporting" and that it was "intimidating" to other shooters. The other was told that his FN was a half-inch shy of the 23" minimum.

They told me to push on and finish the round so as not to waste the trip completely while they waited in the parking lot. I inquired of the other skeet shooters as to the rationale of the rules. Somebody said it was "all about safety." I then asked what safety issues were represented by a pistol grip or a 22.5" barrel. Then one guy said the rules might be intended to "keep the riffraff away." Indicating my friends in the parking area, I said they were former Marines, one an officer, and that perhaps they're definition of riffraff might require adjustment as well as their rules.

We're so used to the camaraderie and accomodating nature of 3-Gun that it's so off-putting to see other shooting sports are not so. Ironic even that this exclusionary sentiment should occur in a public facility.

I have been asked to fill in on a five man squad this Wednesday. It is an industry sponsored charity event. The birds will probably all be close in as opposed to a regular tourney. There will be a lot of conventional hunting shotgunners there as well as some of the big boys who play the clays game regularly. Winning is not really an option as several teams will be stacked.

I am a dedicated 3 gunner and have no inspirations to get serious about taking on sporting clays as regular events.

I am seriously considering taking my FN SLP. I really want some trigger time on movers with this shotgun. I think it would be decent practice and a boat load of fun.

It has the typical 18" barrel and extended mag tube. I have 5 chokes from skeet through full.

So, should I go with the SLP or should I grab the Browning Gran Lightning out of the safe and go the conventional route?

You might want to bring both guns. I have shot at ranges that had a minimum barrel length rule, and an 18 would not qualify. I think minimum was somewhere around 22-24

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

The only round of skeet I've ever shot was with my 21"M2. Before RM3G last year I went to the shotgun range to get some practice for that crazy shotgun stage. The guy in charge there was great. He had no problem with my shotgun, took the time to teach me all the rules, gave me tips, critiqued me a little, and threw a few extra birds on the stations I was having problems all for $6.

I once shot a round of skeet with a guy who use a bolt 20g shotgun. He claimed to be able to rack the bolt fast enough to break the doubles. They were a little faster than he had thought and it didn't work out so good. :surprise: But he gave it a real good try.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Just went and did sporting clays for the first time with my JM 930. What a blast! Didn't have any problems with grief...besides my buddies lol First time at Sporting Clays and got 30/50

I shot a round of skeet, a round of trap and some sporting clays yesterday with my M2 and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was compared to all my other guns. Being able to use the correct choke is an option I never had before, despite owning a pile of shotguns.

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...

I love shooting the M2 on the clays course. It is excellent practice. A high looping crosser is way harder to hit than anything in 3G and some of the really quick rabbits or close in birds are great for building reaction time and getting a better mount on the gun. Plus clays is so much fun.

You do get occasional snobbery, but shoot well enough and they will warm up pretty fast. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot trap today with my 22" JM 930 in Waco before it started raining. Got 42/50. It was fun & good practice. Used a full choke and had no problems.

The ones I missed were me and def not the gun.

Going to go back tommorow and shoot Skeet.

"Stink Eye" is mild.

My buddies got kicked off a skeet range recently. One was told the pistol grip on his 24" 11-87 was "tactical, not sporting" and that it was "intimidating" to other shooters. The other was told that his FN was a half-inch shy of the 23" minimum.

They told me to push on and finish the round so as not to waste the trip completely while they waited in the parking lot. I inquired of the other skeet shooters as to the rationale of the rules. Somebody said it was "all about safety." I then asked what safety issues were represented by a pistol grip or a 22.5" barrel. Then one guy said the rules might be intended to "keep the riffraff away." Indicating my friends in the parking area, I said they were former Marines, one an officer, and that perhaps they're definition of riffraff might require adjustment as well as their rules.

We're so used to the camaraderie and accommodating nature of 3-Gun that it's so off-putting to see other shooting sports are not so. Ironic even that this exclusionary sentiment should occur in a public facility.

These rules and the "stink eye" come about in my experience because some yahoo get a Norinco for Christmas, (there first gun) and after watching a Clint Eastwood movie or 2, show up at the local range and start walking around waving their loaded 18" pistol grip gun. Even seen some shooting 00 buck at skeet... I've seen stuff like this happen more times than I care say, and so next 3gunner who shows up with his comp gun, even though he is a safe shooter, they have no way of knowing that and as soon as they see that style of gun, things go down hill.

A lot of safe gun handing and a bit of respect for the "locals" goes a long way.

TAR

• 6 months later...

I've used my 870 and my 1100 that are set up for 3-gun to shoot skeet and had a blast. The range I go to is a members range and the shotgun side can be used during non normal operating hours ( which is when I usually like to go) so I am able to shoot how I like with out having to worry about "shaming" our game by loading up and blasting away. I use it as practice since my club is wanting to do more movers and clays in the 3-gun matches. I figure if the people that run $20,000 or more custom guns don't like it, it's their problem. I'm not interfering with their leagues and I am not hurting the equipment.

BUT! Before anyone tries to lecture me on how this is appauling behavior and I am being a poor representative of 3-gun/multigun/uspsa etc... I do not participate in any regulated leagues or join others that are shooting the sport how it is regulated to be done and shoot in this manner. I do this by myself or with another shooter out there for the same reason on a field that no one else is using and again not during regular operating hours with the general shooting public.

OPINION: I think that as long as you are safe and responsible while shooting, doing something out of the norm is perfectly fine. How many of you would chastise a shooter at the rifle range doing a full auto dump into the berm if he/she did it safely and didn't interfere with the other shooters at the range. That's how he/she enjoys shooting and as long as it doesn't impede other shooters ability to use the range as well and they don't damage anything, more power to 'em and I'm glad they're made of money to pay for all that ammo and gun.

I guess I am fortunate that the range where I shoot 5 stand trap/skeet don't get too worked up over what gear people use. I have seen everything from SBS to pistol grips being used. So long as they were safe shooters there was never an issue. Best I have ever done was 17/25. LM choke doesn't help me out too much but I doubt my score would increase too much by switching to a skeet choke.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I shoot a few SC tournaments every year and I love pulling out my 28" Stoeger 2000 with 12 round tube, loading from shell caddies and shooting high 80's to low 90's. Lots of "what is that thing" from other shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk