Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever shoot a round of Clays with your 3 gun SG?

Kyreb

I have been asked to fill in on a five man squad this Wednesday. It is an industry sponsored charity event. The birds will probably all be close in as opposed to a regular tourney. There will be a lot of conventional hunting shotgunners there as well as some of the big boys who play the clays game regularly. Winning is not really an option as several teams will be stacked.

I am a dedicated 3 gunner and have no inspirations to get serious about taking on sporting clays as regular events.

I am seriously considering taking my FN SLP. I really want some trigger time on movers with this shotgun. I think it would be decent practice and a boat load of fun.

It has the typical 18" barrel and extended mag tube. I have 5 chokes from skeet through full.

So, should I go with the SLP or should I grab the Browning Gran Lightning out of the safe and go the conventional route?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to agree with Outsyd, take the game gun and get some extra time behind it. Then, run each station without ever reloading. Or, call for the birds with an empty gun, load off the belt with the birds in the air and dust 'em. I've shot skeet and sporting with my Mossberg 590 that I run in HM. Have some fun with it.

I was invited to a 50 bird Trap match to benefit a young local girl with cancer. I brought my Benelli M2 21" and my Browning Citori. I decided to shoot the Benelli, since I was more used to it than the Browning. I put in the Full choke. I finished by breaking 34 out of 50 with the Benelli, but I had to get on them quick! It was cool hitting the 2nd most amout of birds in my group, and most of those guys were shooting high dollar dedicated shotguns. It was very fun!

Most SC guys are "Only 2 in the Gun" at a time. I got in a bit of trouble when I shot a round of SCs in 15 minutes. Each station was about 15 seconds total.

It is worht the learn you will get though.

By all means take your 3G shotgun out, but please don't be an ass and load it up and blast way. You'll do no favors to you or OUR sport.

You are going to play a shotgun game with a shotgun. Follow the rules and procedures as you would expect a Sporting Clays shooter to

do if they were to play our game.

I only "chastise" you and others here on Enos because we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

WE are in this shooting community together and should be welcoming to all sport shooters.

It matters NOT if you get a "hairy eyeball" that would be their problem, we (you) represent the action shooting sports wherever we shoot

and should act accordingly.

Patrick (I shoot most every game) Kelley

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Most SC guys are "Only 2 in the Gun" at a time. I got in a bit of trouble when I shot a round of SCs in 15 minutes. Each station was about 15 seconds total.

It is worht the learn you will get though.

LOL, I got to the line for the first round and asked "how many can I load?" and the official said "Only one at a time - How many does that thing hold?" I smiled and said "Eleven".

Gang,

I should have stated my plan is to shoot the course in the "conventional" SC load 2 manner. I would not go out there acting all "Tactical Ted" on them. :D

When I lived up in NW Ohio, I shot trap almost every Thursday evening. I used a Remington 1100 SP with a 28" barrel. It was a standard hunting shotgun, just a basic synthetic stock and matt black metal. You would not believe the dirty looks I got from the guys shooting the custom $2500.00 and up Brownings and Italian trap guns. They really got mad when I beat them on a fairly regular basis.

The "traditional" shotgun sports attract some real snobs as well as some great guys. ( Really like most shooting sports I guess.) My only beef is they are typically the ones ready to throw we black rifle guys under the bus when the chips are down.

Believe me, I will only attempt to be a true "ambassador" for our sport....not an ass..... Scout's honor. B)

There is a shell catcher, Birchwood Casey, Brownells 167-000-023. Kind of a universal. Just watch out - you may have to trim the BC plate to clear your oversize bolt release. I use my 21" M2 for trap and have shot several 22s,23s and one 24, along with a bunch of 15s and 16s when I don't remember to keep swinging. The kids all look at it in the rack and wonder what the heck is going on. Kind of fun!

For the past 3 years I have shot my 24" M2 at an annual "Homes for Troops" clays event. It has the +6 tube, mag clamp, extended handle, and a Briley +4" barrel extension with a Briley extended Skeet choke. Last year I kept joking with the Beretta factory exhibition shooter that he should use my Benelli after his Beretta kept jamming.

I get some funny looks, and at this last event a guy mentioned that it was like waving a weedeater. The last event a friend was using a 21" M2 configured similar, he shot better than I did. This year the same friend used a Browning Gold and he shot even better, the reasoning was that it recoiled less.

There is a shell catcher, Birchwood Casey, Brownells 167-000-023. Kind of a universal. Just watch out - you may have to trim the BC plate to clear your oversize bolt release. I use my 21" M2 for trap and have shot several 22s,23s and one 24, along with a bunch of 15s and 16s when I don't remember to keep swinging. The kids all look at it in the rack and wonder what the heck is going on. Kind of fun!

Thanks Larry,

I won't put one on though, I don't want to ruin the looks. :P

I shoot a round of SC with my SLP before any of the bigger matches I attend. Only way to get good at flying targets. Skeet is good to, but I get dirty looks sometimes. Our SC range is far enough away from the club house to not attract any attention. What I've been wanting to do lately is get a few buddies together and shoot the flurries on 5 stand with the competition shotties. I think that would be a rockin good time.

We used to take out our 18" HD pump 870s and 500s. We got dirty looks till we started beating regulars. It also made us way quicker at local matches. :surprise:

Though we did have 3 guys with autos load fully up and just had our thrower fling as many birds as possible at the same time. It was 30 seconds of pure awesome, but the old guys didn't like that too much :unsure::eatdrink::roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I would think it would depend on the range. Honestly I wouldn't mind the practice, and if they allowed me to load more than just a few rounds at a time I wouldn't mind. If anything even if they wouldn't allow me to load more rounds I still might do it as a good way to practice, and still can do some reloading practice.

I normally shoot a round of SC at Mesa while waiting for the Mystery Mountain Stats Shack to do their magic. A few years ago with my 21 inch Benelli I think I shot a 92-94. I was really happy.

When I used to shoot a lot of clays, I would often shoot just as well with my Benelli as I did with a Browning 525 Citori or Gold.

Edited by Tom Freeman

Shoot a round of 5 Stand today with my Benelli

A fellow shooter shoots his Open Benelli at five stand.

5 Stand has made me realize that I am a right handed shooter with a left dominant eye that sees distance with my left eye better than my right eye. My left handed shooting scores are better than my right handed shooter scores.

So right hand - right eye for pistol. Left hand left eye for flyers. Rifle optics - doesn't really matter which eye/hand I use.

Talk about being as screwed up as a football bat!