Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube Pistol Cases

kingdarb

So far I have only loaded pistol cases without lube. Alot of the folks here seem to recommend some one-shot one pistol cases before loading them so I might give it a try. Having said that, do you need to clean the cases after loading them if they have been lubed?

What method do you folks recommend for applying the lube, and what method do you recommend for removing it? I load on a 550, and I am hoping to keep things moving quickly...

I have a large shoe box for lubing. Throw them in on there sides and spray with One Shot. You don't need much.

As for cleaning I throw them in the tumbler with clean media (just not used for dirty cases). The only issue I see with this is the media getting stuck in hollow points. There are lots of opinions on how to best clean, some don't clean.

I asked Brian about cleaning after reloading. He said, "Absolutely not necessary":cheers:

I've shot well over 20,000, not tumbling them.

Ah good thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear! :)

So am I good if I just: Get an old box and some hornady one-shot, put the cases in the box, squirt the lube in then roll them around a bit? Also, how much product do you need for the cases generally?

I asked Brian about cleaning after reloading. He said, "Absolutely not necessary":cheers:

I've shot well over 20,000, not tumbling them.

that's funny. the "Competition Reloading" DVD Brian put out back in the day, he mentions about tumbling your loaded rounds for about 15-20 mins. It was what all the major bullet manufactures did. I tumble them now, just makes me feel better that they are clean biggrin.gif

Heh so thats one for and one against cleaning off the cases after loading! :)

The Hornady product says that it dries to the touch in minutes. If the lube has dried on the case, will it still work well for sizing afterwards? Also if the hornady product does in fact dry to the touch, is there really any need to clean it off?

I spray the inside of a plastic coffee can with a light coat of quick drying silicone spray. Then I add the brass and hand tumble for a minute. Let dry. I usually lube at the end of a reloading session for the next session. A little lube goes a long way, dries quickly, and makes a difference in how smooth the press operates. If I go light I don't have to clean it off.

My procedure, for pistol, is tumble clean the brass, load, shoot and repeat as necessary.

For rifle, I tumble clean the brass, lube, size/deprime, tumble to remove lube, check primer pockets and action as necessary, load, shoot and repeat as necessay.

I use a gallon zip lock bag. A quick spray on the inside, then throw in 100-200 pieces an shake. I then put it in one of my bins and let it dry while I load primer tubes.

I now do exactly the same thing. Though "it should not be necessary when using carbide dies", I now lube to prevent the occasional stuck case in my resizing/depriming die. I can prepare 300 9mm cases in a one gallon ziplock bag with a few spritzes of lube of your favorite flavor.

My press gets very "sticky" and requires much effort to move the handle, if I do not use case-lube. I lay the cases on their sides and spray with OneShot. Makes the press operate with little resistance.

Also, OAL is more consistent if cases are well lubricated.

For .45 ACP or 9mm I use the zip lock bag with One shot or generic silicon spray from Wallmart. I find the press operates significantly smoother and my tendonitis thanks me. At this point I would not consider loading without lubing the brass first. I have a micro fiber cloth with rubbing alcohol for cleaning off the lube after loading. I have found that the loaded rounds may have some issues when case gauging if the lube is not first wiped off.

One of the best ways to lube cases is to take a towel, not one of your wife's favorite ones, and spray some Dillon spray lube on it, dump a bunch of cases on it and then grab by both ends and shake back and forth. You will get a light - but ample - coat of lube on the cases and - if you don't go overboard on spraying the towel - should not have to worry about cleaning them off after sizing or loading.

Fold the towel double, over the cases, and then grab the ends and shake. This will keep you from distributing cases all over the place.

It was always my understanding that tumbling loaded ammo was a huge no-no. To that point:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/09/why-you-should-not-tumble-clean-loaded-ammo/

Some guys have done some pretty thorough testing on this and have basically determined that the caution is unneeded. Ammo chronoed at virtually identical speeds regardless of tumble time (indicating identical pressure levels, further indicating no change in powder burn).

If you think about commercial ammo transport or even worse, military, they get bounced around pretty vigorously on the trucks, trains, and planes to get from one point to another. When you think about it that way it becomes much less worrysome. When I saw the actual tested results showing it wasn't an issue I've become unconcerned with tumbling loaded rounds.