Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolff spring life

Schedule 40

I've been running the typical Wolff springs in my G34 with very satisfactory results (12# recoil spring, reduced power firing pin spring and reduced power firing pin safety spring). I've chosen to leave the extra power trigger spring out of the gun. This set-up has roughly 9,000 rounds through it, and I have not experienced a single misfire. I try to shoot Federal primers exclusively, but Winchester primers work when I need them to also.

My question:

-How many rounds should I expect to shoot with my reduced power springs before I should think about replacing them? I don't want to wait until I start to see signs of trouble.

I suppose that the same question should be asked about my 12# recoil spring. This spring, though, only has about 1,000 rounds through it. I switched over from an ISMI 13 lb. spring and factory guide rod since I don't plan on shooting much IDPA any more. USPSA Production is "where it's at"!

I replace mine about every 5000 rounds I just picked what I thought would be a good number because I didn't want to get to the point where it was malfunctioning either

If your in this sport springs are dirt cheap

• 4 months later...

I've been running the typical Wolff springs in my G34 with very satisfactory results (12# recoil spring, reduced power firing pin spring and reduced power firing pin safety spring). I've chosen to leave the extra power trigger spring out of the gun. This set-up has roughly 9,000 rounds through it, and I have not experienced a single misfire. I try to shoot Federal primers exclusively, but Winchester primers work when I need them to also.

My question:

-How many rounds should I expect to shoot with my reduced power springs before I should think about replacing them? I don't want to wait until I start to see signs of trouble.

I suppose that the same question should be asked about my 12# recoil spring. This spring, though, only has about 1,000 rounds through it. I switched over from an ISMI 13 lb. spring and factory guide rod since I don't plan on shooting much IDPA any more. USPSA Production is "where it's at"!

Why did you decide not to use the Wolff extra power trigger spring?

My question:

How much difference did you notice between the ISMI 13# recoil spring and the Wolff 12# recoil spring? I'm assuming that your 12# spring is Wolff because ISMI doesn't seem to make a 12# recoil spring.

I'm currently using a Wolff 14# recoil spring in my Glock 34... I tried an ISM 13# recoil spring and found it to be slightly harder or maybe the same as my 14# Wolff... I wish Wolff made a 13# spring, but they don't... I've been thinking about trying a Wolff 12# spring, but was afraid it might be too soft. Curious about how you like yours.

Raylan,

I really liked the ISMI 13 lb. spring. When I was trying to balance my shooting between IDPA & USPSA, it was the best setup that I could find for use with the factory plastic guide rod. At the beginig of the year, I decided to put all of my focus on USPSA. Now that I could use a Wolff steel guide rod, I also switched to their springs. After many months of playing with both 12 and 14 lbs., I definitely like the 14 lb much more. The 12 was simply too soft for my tastes. The 14 feels much closer to the ISMI setup that I was using originally.

I've heard many shooters say to go with the softest, lightest spring that will allow your gun to function, but honestly, the 12 pounder just felt like it was taking far too long to return the slide into battery. It was really noticeable when the slide would be released from slidelock with the lever.

I'm running a 115 grain FMJ at a 132 power factor, and the 14 lb. spring is working flawlessly.

Having posted my orginal post back in February, I have since gone on to swapping my springs (all of them) every 5,000 rounds. They don't seem to need it, but at such a small cost, why wait until they start acting up?

Raylan,

I really liked the ISMI 13 lb. spring. When I was trying to balance my shooting between IDPA & USPSA, it was the best setup that I could find for use with the factory plastic guide rod. At the beginig of the year, I decided to put all of my focus on USPSA. Now that I could use a Wolff steel guide rod, I also switched to their springs. After many months of playing with both 12 and 14 lbs., I definitely like the 14 lb much more. The 12 was simply too soft for my tastes. The 14 feels much closer to the ISMI setup that I was using originally.

I've heard many shooters say to go with the softest, lightest spring that will allow your gun to function, but honestly, the 12 pounder just felt like it was taking far too long to return the slide into battery. It was really noticeable when the slide would be released from slidelock with the lever.

I'm running a 115 grain FMJ at a 132 power factor, and the 14 lb. spring is working flawlessly.

Having posted my orginal post back in February, I have since gone on to swapping my springs (all of them) every 5,000 rounds. They don't seem to need it, but at such a small cost, why wait until they start acting up?

Thanks for the feedback, Schedule 40... I appreciate it.

I'm using 147gr FMJ at 135 power factor and the 14# Wolff spring works well... I ordered a couple of spare 14# Wolff springs and a spare 12# pound also... I'll see how it works when it gets here...