Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson and Chip McCormick 8 round magazines

JohnCSS

I'm shooting a Colt Series 80 45acp in Single Stack matches locally. I'm using both Wilson 47D 8 round magazines and Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8 round magazines. Both magazines are feeding well and are reliable but the issue is during a slide closed reload. Both magazines are very hard to seat all the way in and I have to slam them in extra hard to ensure they seat. This not only slows my reloading down but also causes they occasional dropped magazine.

Both followers are different and the Chip McCormick seems to seat a bit easier. I hate to have to replace all of the magazines I have. It's a mixture of the two brands. Is there a replacement follower that will help? is there a recommended 8 round mag I should try? Thanks! - John

I have a friend that uses the Wilson 47D with the same problem. I looked at them and found the base pad would not allow the to seat easily.

I have been using Metalform Elite mags for the past 2 years. My practice mags have 20,000 rds each through them and still work fine

Thanks for all the responses so far. The magazines fit the mag well cut out out the bottom and I clean them regularly. I'm thinking it's an issue with the followers or springs in the mags. But I've always used Wilson so I'm a little puzzled. Is there s replacement spring and follower for either of the 2 mags I have? - Thanks, John

Try it with 7 rounds and you'll probably find they seat easily. Adding a round to the original 7 makes the spring stack up more, increasing the seating difficulty. As said above, try all the magazines you can. Also, the location of the mag release slot can make a difference.

First, let me make it clear that I am not a gunsmith and never will be. But I have experienced similar issues with different brand magazines in 1911's made my different manufacturers. As an example, I most frequently use Wilson 47D magazines and Chip McCormick Power Mag 8-round magazines in my 1911's.

The Wilson magazines fit perfectly in two Colt Series 80's and one Wilson 1911. Insert easily when fully loaded, drop free easily.

The McCormick magazines fit perfectly in an Ed Brown SF and a S&W 1911PD Sc. Insert easily when fully loaded, drop free easily.

When fully loaded to 8-round capacity you can only get the Wilson magazines to fit in the Ed Brown pistol if you beat them in with a hammer. Almost as bad when trying to seat them in the S&W (you just don't need the hammer - a fist will do it!) Download them to 7 rounds and they fit the Ed Brown and S&W pistols fine.

The McCormick magazines fit the Colt pistols okay. Insert fairly easily when fully loaded, and drop free easily.

Does that mean I think the McCormick magazines are superior to the Wilson magazines? Nope. Just different fit at the interface of the pistol and the magazine. YMMV.

One final note: Any competent gunsmith with 1911 experience should be able to adjust your pistol to fit your (good quality, name brand)magazines to your pistol for reliable operation in a short period of time for a reasonable price.