Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with 650

Today my 650 started acting up and now will not completely advance to the next station with a complete pull. I have to nudge the shellplate with my finger to get it to advance to the correct position-stops about 1 inch from the next station. Any ideas on troubleshooting this problem? Thanks

It may also be that the index ring has broken. I have seen where it breaks in one spot and then will not advance correctly because it can't move it far enough due to the give from the broken indexer. If you have the spare parts kit there is a spare in there.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

I do have a spare kits kit-will check and see if the index ring is still there. Is it easy to replace? Difficulty factor on a 1-5 scale? I'm mechanically challenged. Is there any way to determine if the index ring is broken without taking it out? Thanks for your help

I'm pretty sure you need to remove the whole platform assembly to get to that bad boy.

Primer assembly comes off.

Back out the brass tipped set screww then take the shell plate bolt out and remove the shell plate.

The platform is held by 2 cap screws. Once they are out it lifts off and the ring can be replaced.

If you look at pg 52 of the manual it shows an exploded diagram. If you don't have one it is availabel online : HERE

I was actually referring to "Dillon" who is a member of the BE forum. Guess I will send him a PM.

Relatively certain he works for Dillon.

Pat

I think we all are certain of that. What I think is Vig thought he might chime in like he usually does on Dillon questions.

But yes, calling Dillon works too.cheers.gif

After a lot of cussing, was finally able to get the index ring replaced and the 650 is running like water. The hard part (at least for me) was getting the index ring spring installed. That is one bi!!ch to reinstall-ruined two of them and was down to my last one-I guess the 3rd time's a charm.

Edited by The_Vigilante

Definately call Dillon for replacement parts. Be sure they also send you the platform alignment tool and instructions as this allows you to re allighn the platform to the priming station. The instructions also give you a tip (line 17) on how to re install that spring. Not sure how you re allighned the platform without that tool but if you have issues with priming in the near future this would be a good place to look.

Actually I don't use the priming station on my 650. I prime my cases offline on a single stage press using the Lee Safety prime. Find it less stressful and since I am semi-retired have the extra time in my day to do it. I would be interested in the tip to install the spring as it really gave me headaches.