Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade Sti Spartan or Buy Sti Trojan

Msfinlayson

I have had this Sti Spartan for a few years now and have resently started shooting local steel matches and some USPSA matches. The only thing i have done to it is add a EGW mainspring housing with mag well. I am wanting to have a trigger job done with a new trigger as well change the front sight and pick up a better set of grips and a oversized mag release or extened . Would it be worth it to put the extra money in to the Spartan or Buy a Trojan and then i would probally do the same changes to it. I have been looking at the Egw trigger kit any feed back on this ? Thank for any feed back any recommendation would be great as well.

If the pistol you have is functioning great, there is no point in switching to the Trojan (unless you just plain want one). You will ultimately end up doing all the same work to the Trojan and, while I am a huge STI fan, I'm not convinced that the Trojan is really a better gun. Unless you are just achin to buy a new gun, stick with what you've got. Also, just a small additional note. The Spartan comes with the same internals as the Trojan, which are high quality. You can have a competent smithy stone up the sear and hammer hooks, tune the disconnector and sear spring and get a pretty darn good trigger job without buying more parts.

The only reason to get a Trojan over a spartan is if your looking for a .40 (only becuse the spartan is not available in .40)

The front strap checkering and under cut trigger guard are so sutle they're almost unnoticeable...

I love my Trojan, but if the spartan was chambered in .40 I would have purchased that instead :)

I had my sparten for about a year know and it runs good I don't see a need to change to a Trojan if I was going to change to another sti it would be the sentry

i got a stock spartan and did the following:

*STI Spartan - $740 out the door

*Dawson front sight - $40

*Fusion trigger - $18

*Fusing chain link mainspring housing and chute - $90

*Fusion extended slide stop - $30

*Dawson Extended IDPA mag release - $40

*Custom AlumaGrips Light Weight Slim Grips - $100

*Trigger job/sight install - $50

*New main spring and recoil spring - $10

All in all im in $1100 which is about the same price as a stock trojan from dawson after shipping and FFL transfer fees... If i went that route, im still looking at $350ish in upgrades to get the gun they way i want it. If i were you, i would upgrade your spartan as time and money allows unless you come across a smoking deal on a Trojan that had the features you wanted.

Stick with the Spartan! I picked mine up for 630 which included shipping to the Police Chief. I did springs, VZ grips, Dawson front sight, and a S&A mainspring housing/magwell. All in all I have maybe 900 in it and it is a fine shooting pistol. I would suggest some good mags, either Wilson or Tripp for it so by the time you have all this you will be right at what a Trojan will cost ya. Also later if you decide to do something else I will bet you can sell it quick to recoup some money towards your new hot rod!

Always better to upgrade the parts you feel you need on a gun your happy with than buying a more expensive gun and still add the upgrades. If you just have plenty of money laying around and just want a new gun go for it. I'm always happy with a new gun when I can afford one. I'd buy more mags and other gear.