Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

about "El Presidente"

Rosshooting

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For full "match condition" runs - see the 2002 USPSA Nationals and the results for the El-Prez stage which are on the USPSA web page.

Travis Tomasie shot Limited 10 - 4.71 seconds 55 points.

David Sevigny shot Production 5.39 seconds 58 points

For the sake of not being the a-hole of the board. I went to the range last night and tried it again for about 45 minutes. The best run last night was 3.75 down 3. So, I went through the log book and as you might expect, I remembered the number in error. It was 3.65 down four. I don’t know where I got 2.95 from? :wacko:

This is a stand and shoot and not a field course, where the number of variables increase (choking on reloads during classifiers when they count, doesn't help either and is why I'm stuck in the class that I am <_< ). This is a whole other gripe that I have with regards to our classification system, but I'll not dygress further.

So, all hail to you guys for remembering numbers better than me. You were right, I was wrong. You're tall, I'm short. You're good looking, I'm ugly. The sky is blue. The grass is green. However, the 3.85 with the G19 was correct.

Rich

Yeah.. the funny thing when I was doing the 3.00 math, I started thinking "You know, this might just be possible.

Crank some .11 and .12 splits, .18 transitions and all you need is a lighting-quick draw and reload. I'm nowhere close, but I believe others are or have been in the neighborhood.

Rich,

OH MY GOD! You made a mistake? 30 lashes!!! No big woop. At least you are big enough to own up to it. Besides 3.65 is STILL damn fast. 

Thanks guys.

Gratuitous plug mode on:

A huge part of my progress has been due to three books. BE's, Sam Conway's and our own Steve Anderson's. Without them, I think I would still be lingering at my current percentage rather than being on the cusp of reaching my shooting goals. I set a goal of Master by June. While that didn't happen due to personal reasons, I've adjusted that to August. I know I can make it.

Gratuitous plug mode off:

Not only have the teachings, training and insight of these books helped, but truly it is due to the people on this site.

Thread drift off

The El Prez, in whatever form, is a great live fire drill. I never used to do "fast" drills. Just would do some movement, standards, etc. However, I've learned that you need to spend time pulling the trigger fast. Whether it be El Prez's, Bill Drills, Hammer Time, Jay's Insanity, etc. You need to know the feeling of pulling the trigger fast.

Now if I can just sack up and shoot classifiers and win a few majors, I'll be great shape! :D

Thanks again and God bless,

Rich

Well I remember the El Prez challenge sponsored by Gungames a few years back. The goal there was a sub 3.95 all a's. It was shot at both the Canadaian and US Nationals. At the Canadians anyone could try...no-one did it. At the US Nationals the top 16 got to shoot it on the shootoff day. Again, not only did no-one do it, but no-one could hang all the hits on the target. I think the closest was probably Matt Burkett with one miss.

In reality world, anything near in 4's would be a kick ass run, and a sub 4 is smoking. I think Leatham has pulled some mid to high 3's and I suspect Todd and that French kid could be there too.

I ran the El Prez Challenge at the US Nationals. The goal was a hit factor of 15.0000, which, IIRC, roughly translates to a 3.95 second run with all A's. During the week I talked to most of the big boys and they were split 50/50 on whether or not it was possible. Most of them said they could do it occasionally in practice, but it would be very difficult to do on demand. No one even came close. The highest hit factor was by Doug Koenig with a 12.++ something. I think he was the only one without a miss.

A 2.95 second run with no misses??? I don't think so.

Arnie

At the Canadian Nationals, the maker of the Speed Timer put a timer up for grabs to the fastest El Prez with all A's. I can't remember exactly what my time was, I think it was around 5.5 sec. Not exactly smoking, but everyone else that was faster dropped points. It only took 1 C to lose. I shot it like the Practical Event at Bianchi Cup. Just shot it fast enough to get my A's.

I took home the timer, and that makes me the only person to win anything from the Gungames challenge.

For full "match condition" runs - see the 2002 USPSA Nationals and the results for the El-Prez stage which are on the USPSA web page.

Travis Tomasie shot Limited 10 - 4.71 seconds 55 points.

David Sevigny shot Production 5.39 seconds 58 points

And I got to watch them both do it. It was SWEET - especially Travis. Besides TT only one other guy at FGN02 broke the magic 5 second mark.

• 1 month later...

Any way you look at it, 15 HF on a 60 point stage with a turning draw and a reload is smoking! Wow!

I haven't shot the IPSC El Prez much. I've shot the IDPA version more. The IDPA El Prez has the targets 3 yards apart and you only load 6 in the first mag (forcing a slide lock reload). My personal best on this stage is 6.22 raw with 3 pts down or 7.72 total score.

Looks like I've got more work to do...... :blink:

Updated score to show raw and total.

Vincent.......Nah, you don't need any practice, just be like Rauch and the rest of the "Cartel" and say that the IPSC EL PREZ ain't real, and no one has ever done it in sub 9.99.

As to TGO's EL PREZ times, I read an article about the TGO series guns in America Rifleman that says he did a 4.0 cold / clean with a single stack in front of the author, and there was a report from someone who saw a demo in 2002 that said he ripped a 3.60 with a skinny gun and factory hardball ammo. Of course he did plenty of hard to believe things in 02'.

I am sure some of the speedsters can really rip, but it is like arguing a super quick bill drill, in a match it's only going to be 60 points to win, but plenty to lose if you let a few wander off course.

the IPSC EL PREZ ain't real

That's strange. How could it not be "real"? It's been around for ever. There are only a few differences between the versions but enough to make it an apples and oranges comparison. I need to setup the IPSC El Prez and see what the difference is for me.

For full match pressure runs, at last year's IDPA Nationals I think Matt Burkett posted the best total score on the El Prez stage with 6.59 including 1 point down. Rob Leatham was 8.02 including 1 point down. Dave Sevigny was 7.64 including 2 points down.

As a comparison my time was 8.50 (0 points down) and I was really happy with that run. Only 25 shooters out of over 300 broke 9.0, only 6 broke 8.0, and only 1 broke 7.0 (time plus points down). At 0.5 seconds per point it adds up quickly.

Just thinking about 15 HF makes me want to shoot! Can't wait till my next practice session.

The coach of our ladies team (long, long ago) shot the SWPL matches and the Big Bear Valley shoots with all the "big" names that started this whole IPSC thing...(his ride along partner was Jack Weaver of the San Diego Sherifs). I was talking to him last night and he was reminiscing about how if you ran an el prez in the early days in under 10 seconds, you were the STUD.

I'd love to put TGO in the way back machine and send him to one of those early matches with his current gear and skill set. CalTech would register a 4.5 earthquake from all the jaws hitting the ground!