Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA 3 Gun, Has anybody seen it happen?

Just curious if any other areas are shooting IDPA 3 gun? Our local club talked about it but it never happened. My reasoning is that the outlaw matches are do popular it would be tough to compete with. What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I put on two. I found that they were a waste of time due to the low round counts when compaired to the IMGA scored matches we already offered.

It wound be beneficial in a club with small bays and no long range bays that was not already shooting Multigun.

We have run a few matches at our IDPA club and it has been quite successful. But we have 100-125 shooters at our regular monthly IDPA match, so there has been quite a bit of interest. We have had 30-45 shooters at the matches. We also have had a beginners clinic for 3 gun to get the new shooters familiar with the rules and gear available. Also being in California with our weird AR laws,the limits of IDPA 3 gun, kind of makes it easy for shooters to get involved in 3 gun. Of course this give them a taste of 3 gun and they usually migrate to USPSA 3 gun.

Edited by Trail3

Just curious if any other areas are shooting IDPA 3 gun?

I beg your pardon, it's called "Defensive Multi-Gun"!

I shoot at a local club with small/pistol bays that tries to us the DMG rules.

IDPA rules are hard enough, then adding DMG rules???

We do use IDPA targets and maybe some round count limits but otherwise, not so much.

David E.

They shoot DMG (Defensive Multi-gun) using IDPA targets here in Huntsville.

I've been running the Huntsville 3-gun match the last few months. We have moved away from IDPA DMG provisional rules and now run an outlaw style match. The participants had no love for the DMG rules.

We use slightly modified USPSA 3-gun equipment rules / divisions, IDPA targets and scoring, and hybrid COF's / shooting rules. No fault lines but we're not really enforcing IDPA Cover rules. We don't worry about balancing the number of rounds between guns or the details of USPSA 3-gun COF rules. We created a pistol carbine division.

We found the DMG equipment rules really kill the fun. However, IDPA scoring is very easy to do and most of our shooters are heavy IDPA shooters so it’s a natural thing to do.

There is a IDPA esque match close to here. IPDA scoring sort of. instead of .5 sec per point they score a whole second per point. I'm not a fan of the limited mag capacity but they also have an open division and it is a real open division (whatever you want, however much ammo) fun little match.

I've shot a few matches with IDPA style rules. Must retain mags, normal TO equipment got me bumped to open, rifle mags loaded to 20, pistol to 10 max. Also, you had to use cover, and the stages briefs took forever as the basically told you what to shoot, when to shoot it, and from what position to shoot it. It was the only match I have ever wanted to leave early, even though I ended up HOA. It really sucks the fun right out of 3gun, and I shoot IDPA pretty regularly, and enjoy it.

I think that 3 gun goes against the basic tenants of IDPA. IF you need to engage 20 targets with a rifle, pistol, and shotgun then you aren't practicing for self defense but auditioning for a Rambo movie.

I have said it before, IDPA DMG, DOA.

Equipment is far too restrictive to interest anyone shooting 3-gun, and too restrictive to anyone who might want to shoot 3-gun. The IDPA rules are in that not too hot, not too cold, not just right, not enough fun zone.

When it gets down to it, how defensive is an AR?

IDPA really has a problem with the whole "Defensive" concept while moving toward a threat. That is another thread.

I don't think IDPA and 3Gun mix very well. I've shot a sort-of IDPA-ish 3Gun match, and really about the only thing IDPA was how the targets were scored. I'm not strongly opposed to the scoring, it does force me to be more careful with shot placement, but it also takes much longer than typical outlaw scoring. It is hard to make a fun three-gun match and stick to IDPA rules. I don't see it catching on. Outlaw matches are so much more fun, and most people are out to have fun, not to simulate somebody's idea of a realistic defensive shooting.

There is a club outside of Austin that puts on an IDPA style 2-gun carbine match and a 3-gun match several times a year. I have shot both matches a few times. Well run. Very limited round counts by stage description. Must retain mags during reloads if there is ammo left in it. No cover required. Very short stages with few targets. Usually has an IDPA type "classifier" stage. They have a good turnout of about 50-70 shooters. It is interesting and can be fun when they use movement instead of hard cover to set up the stages. But when you get the RO who spends most of the match giving procedurals for exposing too much of your body it kind takes the fun out of it. I prefer regular 3-gun, but this has it's place and you know the rules before shooting it.

gerritm