Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium rifle compensators

Bear1142

I've had a couple of new rifle compensator designs floating around in my head and I'm about ready to have one made. I'm thinking of having a prototype made of Titanium. If the Titanium is heat treated after the final machining to 40-42 Rockwell, will it hold up to the higher pressures of a rifle cartridge? How well will the ports hold up to blast erosion? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA,

Erik

Sure, until it cracks. How long will that take, who knows, it will happen faster than with steel. Also you will probably have erosion problems as well. Stick with steel.

Eric, give Allen M. a call sometime. His titanium comp on the 9 super has been coming loose from the cone. Efforts have included all of the xtra duty loc-tites....there is something funky about the adhesive ability of titanium that may need to researched a little once you get the comp made.

My question would be why? Would the weight difference of a titanium v. steel comp on a rifle be worth the extra cost?

sw

Sterling,

Weight is part of my concerns. Several of the designs I'm playing with would benefit from being put on a diet. Until I actually make the comp. out of both steel and titanium and test them out, I won't know how much of a difference it will make. There are several other factors I'm considering, but it would take too long to write everything up. Call me and we'll talk about it.

Erik