Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 carrier release button, temporary or drill and tap?

chainring

I've got my Benelli M2 now, but I've got a class coming up in just over a month. So far, even reloading as fast as possible, the lifter has not bitten me. I've added a Nordic +5 and Nordic charging handle already, so it's basically ready to go. The only thing is, I'm planning to send it to Mike at Accurate Iron for loading port modification, etc. but I want to practice/familiarize myself with it between now and the class. The tiny carrier release button was one of the mods that I was going to have Mike do (Nordic drilled and tapped) but that won't happen before the class. It sucks as is, so I'm wondering about getting a DMW Speedbar for temporary use....or get the nordic button and do it myself. I'm no stranger to drilling and tapping (elevator tech) but I haven't smithed a Benelli apart and back together yet, either.

Is it a big deal to get that carrier release button out and then back, or fairly simple?

Thanks!

What he said, it's pretty easy to perform. I did my own and even if the hole was drilled/tapped crooked it still looks good! (used red loc-tite) I would also think that any machine shop can get it done in 20 minutes or less.

You can still call CRums and get a new lifter delivered before your match? Getting a thumb caught in a Match cannot have good results, at least wear gloves...

Another modification is to bevel the notch under the bolt or fill in for ghost loading an extra round.

Mike's going to send to send the lifter to C-Rums, so if you're going to get it done anyway you could go ahead and do that. I'm pretty confident that Jeff can get it done in less than a month, but it does need to be tweaked a little to fit the gun after it comes back.

Mike's going to send to send the lifter to C-Rums, so if you're going to get it done anyway you could go ahead and do that. I'm pretty confident that Jeff can get it done in less than a month, but it does need to be tweaked a little to fit the gun after it comes back.

That's what I'm afraid of on the carrier. I'm planning to leave that alone for now. My thumb seems to be wide enough not to get caught - same thing that happened when I put a DMW Easyloader on my sister's 1100. Didn't give me any trouble at all, but it hung her thumb immediately.

Just ordered the Nordic button.

On the newer Benellis, you have to be REALLY careful drilling and tapping the button.

The button is now only lightly staked onto the carrier latch. If you use the recommended drill and tap combination to achieve the standard "75% thread engagement" and don't support the button to prevent it twisting, it will come right out of the carrier latch. To prevent this, you can hold onto the button with some Vise-Grips while tapping, preventing it from spinning.

I see this as a defect of the original part, so I am currently modifying the latches by TIG welding three spots on the inside and three spots on the outside to strengthen it up.

To answer the OP's question: The DMW Speed-Bar does work. It just isn't that pretty.

Edited by Braxton1

Due to easy installation and being new to Benelli's I put a DMW on mine. I did not find a picture of one installed before ordering so below is a pic. I like it because if it snags or bumps something, it looks like it will just bend without causing a serious failure.

17ba9bab.jpg

It's pretty easy, you just need a good fitting punch that'll drive the roll pin out from the top.

what is the punch size? this is an easy job only with the right tools. otherwise, ... well i guess all receivers look cooler with a few scratches.