Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel door for shotgun match

Searched this subforum no luck.

Shotgun match

steel door with a clay where the doorknob would be. Shoot the clay, door swings and STAYS open. Shooter moves through now open door to next aray.

My ??? need some good pics of the door and how it works, springs? latching method, and the like.

Thanks

Chris

I've thought of doing this with rebar. Kind of a "cage" door. Use rebar to hold the doorknob (clay) front and back just on the edges and just enough to keep the door from swinging. Weld a couple pieces of flat bar at a 90 degree angle from the frame at the top and bottom at the "wall" side of the hinge and attach with a spring to the door. Doesn't need to be a super spring just enough to get the door open.

I've also seen on youtube where they cut out a square area around where the doorknob and strike latch would be. They held the door closed with either a paint stir stick or pieces of 1x2. I liked the idea but our club is limited on funds so we like to build stuff that's gonna last. Someone pulls a little too early once and we go a door with a giant peep hole. :D

If you're not clear on the rebar idea hit me up with a PM and I'll try to build a sketchup model for you tomorrow.

Good luck.

Why not make a spring loaded latch that's activated by a steel target? Is a clay actually that necessary?

Steel target is actually better. just trying to wrap my head around how the whole thing would work, Steel jamb, steel mesh door panel with framed out 6" round as the knob. HD spring to keep door open once latch is blasted. Gotta send this to our fab guy, he should be able to figure something out.

I remember seeing one on youtube, but just can't find it.

Here's mine that I made:

The door is held shut by a small piece of wood. I use 1"x1/2" strips about 10" long, and it has springs which cause it to swing open after the "lock" is shot. It is a great prop. If the shooter doesn't quite break the stick, they can kick it open.

The Rio Salado club in Mesa, AZ has one. Shown in 3-Gun Nation intro to 3-gun video.

Thanks got a hold of them and they are helping me out with some good pics

You should post them if that's cool with them and you...

Here is a vid of the type of door we want.

The Rio Salado club in Mesa, AZ has one. Shown in 3-Gun Nation intro to 3-gun video.

Breaching the door from across the room, that's a different tactic!

Breaching the door from across the room, that's a different tactic!

here are the pics of the door

This door is Ron at Rio Salado creation

Door-Frontside.jpg

Door-Latchclay1.jpg

Edited by prc77