Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something to play MOR (spend my money)

michael_aos

OK. I want to be able to play in the MOR side-matches for USPSA 3-gun.

Here's some thoughts:

Too heavy is bad

Too light is bad

.260 Remington is the preferred caliber

22" minumum barrel

muzzle brake preferred

detachable magazines a must

Per USPSA rules, 5rds max in the gun at one time

Remington 700 action preferred

I know, I know -- buy a Tubb 2000!

That's not really an option.

Where do I start? I'm not so much trying to have top-of-the-line equipment. Not even thinking I'll be winning matches. I just want something to play the game.

Where do I start?

Mike

P.S. I thought I was going to buy a Remington 700P in .223 and I've already ordered a set of Badger Ordnance 30mm rings, 30mm ->1" reducers & 20MOA short-action base (although I could probably return them in a pinch).

Hi Michael,

Here is my take on this. If you really want a .260 get the Tubb 2000. If you go with .260, you will need to reload to get the real performance. If you are not going to buy a Tubb 2000, then just get a bolter in .308 for now and put your money into the HorusVision scope and the Palm software package that you would move to the Tubb if/when you step up to it. The Horus scope will allow you to shoot the typical MOR stages with a distinct advantage when the distances vary within a stage (which they mostly do this year at the US3G). .308 as the caliber will allow you to buy match grade ammo and dispense with painstaking handloading for now.

Horus Vision

Optics puts it in Open so get all three bipods (shorty, regular, and long) and get the best muzzle brake you can get so you can watch the hit, or see where the mike went so you can correct. Any well set up .308 bolt rifle with a good trigger and proper bbl bedding will do what MOR needs with a good factory match grade ammo.

My friend just got a basic Remington 700 Sendero in .308 from JP Rifles and it shoots ½ MOA with Federal gold medal match ammo. With the JP cryo treatment the POI won’t wander after the bbl gets hot during 5-10 round of quick shooting. With the Horus scope system aboard a rifle like this will do the job real well even without box mags as long as you hit with every shot. I would not worry about the box mag thing now because you are going to spend a lot to go there anyway so you might as well do a Tubb 2000 if you are gonna go that far.

Besides, a good rifleman with a Remington 700 in .308 that he really knows can win this type of stuff if it really is MOR shooting as Mike Voigt described in his FS article and not just a hosefest that costs a buck a round. If the rifle can shoot ¾ MOA, then you can hit an 8” plate at 600 yards pretty reliably if you know the dope and work the trigger right.

Check out this JP package and imagine a Horusvision scope aboard it.

http://www.jprifles.com/Remington700.shtml

BTW, the JP “Tank” style muzzle brake is the most effective one you can put on an Open division MOR rifle. I have one on a .270 and full power ammo does not move the scope off the target during recoil. I wish I had the Horus scope.

Of course, a Tubb 2000 in .260 with the JP brake and a Horus scope would be my “in a perfect world“ MOR dedicated rifle.

--

Regards,

Mike,

I don't mean to be a dick but I think you were given all the info on where to start. Now it is time to listen to the advice given. Step up to the plate and buy a gun. Nobody can make the decision for you.

Sorry -- I wasn't going to start another thread but the first one had gotten very long a little convoluted. I felt like it was time to take a breath and start over.

Mike

Hi Michael,

Of course, a Tubb 2000 in .260 with the JP brake and a Horus scope would be my “in a perfect world“ MOR dedicated rifle.

--

Regards,

Thanks for you thorough and thoughtful reply.

What I really WANT to do is buy a "decent" factory rifle .308 or .223.

Then get a trigger job and a good muzzle break installed.

Then add detachable magazines.

Then rebarrel in a year or so to .260 & start reloading.

It should be that simple. I'd really like to just start with Remington 700 .223.

The problems are:

All 700's but the 700P are 1:12" twist in .223. Not good for long bullets.

Don't know if the HS Precision detachable mags are available in .223.

Dont know if the HS Precision detachable mag mod "fits" the 700P

.223 isn't a great caliber for MOR (to sensitive to wind).

Don't know what's involved to convert a .223 to .260.

Not hearing good things about the HS Precision detachable mag system

I don't want to "paint myself into a corner".

Mike

Mike,

I don't mean to be a dick but I think you were given all the info on where to start. Now it is time to listen to the advice given. Step up to the plate and buy a gun. Nobody can make the decision for you.

I've made SOME progress.

I ordered the Badger Ordnance 20MOA mount, rings, and ring reducers.

Harris swivel BR bipod w/leg-notches.

Pod-loc.

Mike

What about one of the Remington 700 "Mountain Rifles".

They've got a lot going for them.

Available in .260 with a 22" barrel.

One is a laminated stock, stainless, with a hinged floor-plate. Probably a good candidate for a the HS Precision detachable-magazine conversion -- assuming the magazines are compatible with .260 (seems like they would be).

They even have a DM version (blued, with hardwood stock).

Decent 1:9" twist-rate.

The "down side" is they're only 6.5lbs -- but add a scope, mount, rings, bipod -- we're probably up to 10lbs anyway, right?

Why isn't this a good idea?

Mike

I may not have been clear from previous posts, but:

I've never owned a bolt-action rifle.

I've only shot a bolt-action rifle a handful of times.

I used to shoot a bolt-action precision air-rifle a LOT, but that's about it.

My friends and I go camping in the mountains about every-other weekend in the summer and we do a lot of shooting up there. This rifle will see WAAAAY more use doing informal plinking than it will as a dedicated MOR gun.

I don't currently reload, but I'm definitely going to be reloading in the future. I'll probably start reloading .223 first. That's part of my prejudice toward a bolt-action rifle in .223.

Mike

You need a reloader more than a fancy MOR. Buy a Dillon 550 and a 700PSS in 308 and be done with it.

I've got to say, that everything was answered in another thread. So, I'm shutting this one down. I don't mean to seem harsh, but it's time to fish or cut bait.