Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Play iTouch WiFi through older stereo

benos

It seem like someone would make a device that would allow you to play music WiFI form an iTouch/Phone etc. through an older stereo receiver (w/o an optical input or HDMI jack), but I can't find any sort of stand alone device that will do that. I know you can make it work with an Apple TV, but I don't want to have to have a computer and/or TV on, just to play my stereo.

If no one has anything for me, I was looking into maybe getting a Sonos 5 setup. It's gets good reviews overall.

I have no direct experience with this, but based on the following link it looks like you can stream directly from an iPod Touch or iPhone to either an Apple TV (top of the page) or an Airport Express (bottom of the page).

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/airplay.html

I do have experience with the Sonos system, as I have a couple of ZonePlayers in my house. It's a nice system, especially since they released the iOS apps for controlling it. Sonos supports services like Rhapsody or Pandora directly, which means you can control it from any computer or iOS device with the Sonos app installed. I believe that you can stream non-iPod music apps like Pandora or Rhapsody from an iOS device, but since the device is streaming it directly you can only control it from that device, and the Wifi streaming is going to have a negative effect on battery life.

One other benefit of Sonos is that it will stream music from any network drive, so if you have a standalone Network Attached Storage device or a router that lets you hook up a hard drive and access it via the network, Sonos can access any music on it. The Apple solutions need to go through a computer running iTunes.

Brian, I tried some of the wireless (bluetooth and wifi) receivers, a Sonos and a Sony wifi speaker and ended up just going with a straight hard wire jack into my phone connected to the "Aux" on my stereo. The wireless drained the battery too fast for my liking. I've got a set up in my shop with my old stereo system like this and man do I love it. $1K of old stereo equipment, a $5 cord and my phone gave MUCH better sound quality than anything else I tried. I'm not sure what kind of sound quality you are after, but the Sonos and Sony wifi speaker systems did not deliver anything better than what I would call average sound quality. The BT and wireless receivers into the Aux jack of my stereo were better, but not as good as the hardwire.

Thanks Mark and Jadeslade. I should have mentioned, I'm currently running it through my old school stereo (been dong it for years) with a 1/8" RCA plug/cable, through a 2x multiplier, that I got at Radio Shack. I was looking to get rid of the cable and go WiFi. But if sounds like playing music WiFi will more quickly drain the battery, then maybe I'll stick with the cable.

The main reason I was looking to get rid of the cable - my music playing situation is - I'm on my front porch, and the stereo is in the living room. When it's just me and my girl, the cable is not a problem. But on weekends when all of my neighborhood friends end up on my porch late night, inevitably, at some point, someone will stumble through the cable and yank the iPod off the table. Even with a case, my (now dead) iPod took quite a beating. But for the new iTouch, I have an Otterbox Defender case, so the unitis about as protected as it can get.

And I love the iTouch compared to the iPod BTW.

be

Perhaps something like this would fit the bill?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X69BFW/ref=asc_df_B004X69BFW1886292?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004X69BFW

It's battery-powered and it will actually charge the iPod. I'm not familiar with the layout of your front porch :D but it would probably sit on the same table that you set your iPod on when it's connected via the cable.

FWIW - I used and Airport Express for this for a couple of years until I got my current receiver (which has AirTunes built in). It worked very well - and I didn't notice it crushing the battery in my iPhone any more than other wireless activity. That's obviously higher than hardwire connection, but...

Brian, it's a Denon 2312CI

The only drawback is that it doesn't have a wireless ethernet interface on it, so I now use my Airport Express as a wireless adapter for the receiver cheers.gif (rather than running a hard line to it)

Dave, also, if I get an Airport Express, once I get my iTouch playing through my stereo (network/apps all set up) - do I have to have a computer on/iTunes launched for it to play?

Nope, no iTunes needed. AirPlay allows you to treat a device on the network as if it were another pair of speakers on the device that's playing the music - so you play from the iTouch directly to the AirPlay device. The caveat are that they both have to be on the same wireless ethernet network. The iPod Touch should be AirPlay compatible (it's an iOS device, after all)

Here's Apples blurb on AirPlay: http://www.apple.com...es/airplay.html - the only way you can stream video to the TV is with an AppleTV, so I don't use that feature.

Also, one additional benefit is that you can also play to AirPlay enabled devices from iTunes on any of your computers, too ;)

Edited by XRe

Realize, though, that the Airport Express only costs about $100, and allows you to add AirPlay to your existing receiver - that's a lot cheaper interim solution that does exactly what you want cheers.gif

Thanks for all the additional details Dave. So from what you said, to summarize, if I buy an Airport Express (for the mere sum of $100) - I can play the music from my iTouch through my home stereo w/o having to have a computer on? If so, for 100 bucks, that is exactly what I was looking for/to do.

Also, my OS is 10.5.8, and my iTunes is 10.5.3 (the latest version that will run on 10.5.8, and 10.5.8 is the latest OS that will run on my Mac tower.)

That looks like a pretty badass receiver. My receiver is an old Denon unit.

Thanks for all the additional details Dave. So from what you said, to summarize, if I buy an Airport Express (for the mere sum of $100) - I can play the music from my iTouch through my home stereo w/o having to have a computer on? If so, for 100 bucks, that is exactly what I was looking for/to do.

Also, my OS is 10.5.8, and my iTunes is 10.5.3 (the latest version that will run on 10.5.8, and 10.5.8 is the latest OS that will run on my Mac tower.)

Yep - just save that 1/8" to RCA cable - you'll plug that into the Airport Express :)

That looks like a pretty badass receiver. My receiver is an old Denon unit.

I've been enjoying it. It's got a number of cool features, and sounds very good even with relatively cheap speakers. Now if I could afford some really nice speakers to go with it cheers.gif It's cool having 7.2, as well (well, 7.1 in my case - I only have one sub). When I got my new TV, I had to update my receiver, as well, because everything had to go to HDMI, so...

With my old system, I'd have been limited to trying to get an RCA pair out of the TV to send to the stereo. It would do Dolby Pro Logic for quasi-surround, but I'm not sure the TV can convert audio from a normal 5.1 signal down to that - and it would take selection of a non-default audio track in the BluRay and DVD players, too. Yuck :(

So, it was a good time to upgrade for me :) This one should last me for a good long time, I should think...

Dave,

What app did you download onto the iTouch/Phone, to play its music library through the Extreme/Stereo?

I was looking at this one, but I'm wondering if its the best/right one:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

(I just got the Extreme playing my MacBook Pro's music library through my stereo. Pretty cool.)

Dave,

What app did you download onto the iTouch/Phone, to play its music library through the Extreme/Stereo?

No app required - the built in music player will do it straight out... When you're on the same wifi subnet with an AirPlay device, the music app will display a fourth icon in the control bar - you'll have "rewind", "play/pause", "forward", and then a 4th icon that looks like a rectangle with a triangle overlaid on it. You tap that one, and it'll bring up a list of AirPlay speakers that are available to choose from. Select the one that corresponds to your Airport Express or Stereo and you're good to go. I don't think the Airport Extreme has AirPlay capability?

Dave