Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paleo - Gluten Free

Mark K

I have been intrigued by the Paleo Diet. I am diabetic, and all reports I have seen say it does good things for diabetics.

My Daughter has gone gluten free, with great results for most aspects of several persistent health problems.

I was just wondering, for those that really know, is a Paleo diet basically gluten free?

Mark K

Yes, the quick concept of Paleo is eating a "clean" diet. Basically, if you could walk outside 5,000 years ago and find it, pick it, gather it, or kill it...you can eat it. Stay away from grains, processed foods and dairy.

www.robbwolf.com is one of the best sites I have found thanks to some input from other members here.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working the paleo diet--though not strictly or religiously--for years now. Corey's description captures the diet in a nutshell. Diabetics are having excellent results going paleo.

Dr. Mercola (mercola.com) adopts much of the paleo diet theory--but does advocate use of dairy as long as you can get it raw. Mercola also advocates drastically limiting fructose intake--including fructose from fruit--to 15 to 25 grams per day.

If you can manage to get most of the gluten and sugar out of your diet, you'll be well on your way.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been eating primal/paleo for several months, Mark sission Primal Blueprint is great starter. I feel much healthier and have gotten stronger and faster working out the a little less than before.

Gibb

I was just wondering, for those that really know, is a Paleo diet basically gluten free?

Strict paleo is 100% gluten free, yes. And, because of the lack of processed carbohydrate, it's extremely friendly for diabetics, especially if you minimize fruit intake, and stick primarily to veggies for your carbs. It'll require less insulin input, which is always a good thing. There's also evidence (I don't know if there's been a full blown study - but at least anecdotal case evidence) of people with remaining pancreatic function actually getting back to normal, non-diabetic blood sugar levels and staying that way - that is, it's apparently cured their disease (that group includes certain Type I diabetics, too, who still have pancreatic function and for whom the removal of gluten from their diet relieves the pressure on the immune system that's causing their problem in the first place).

I agree on the reference below - and I'll add in http://archevore.com for some interesting reads cheers.gif (note, those are sorghum beers in those mugs... devil.gif)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I did strict paleo for about a year, but honestly, paleo rules out a few things which I believe to be perfectly nutritional things. One thing I did think paleo helped was cutting out the dairy. I still do eat greek yogurt though

• 3 weeks later...

I have been eating about 80-90% paleo for a couple years now and I love it, i have a "cheat day" very week and eat one meal of something like pizza or pancakes. I started 6 months after i started crossfit and feel tons better during workouts and just in general for that matter. I would say give it a try!

• 2 weeks later...

I started paleo a few months ago. I am not 100%-still drink Coke Zero. I've dropped about 30 lbs now and have a ton of energy. That translates into not being whipped at the end of a 3 gun match.

My BP was barely under control (with meds) pre-paleo and is now absolutely correct. I am guessing my cholesterol will be fine too-tests this month.

It is a simple transition.

Dave

My BP was barely under control (with meds) pre-paleo and is now absolutely correct. I am guessing my cholesterol will be fine too-tests this month.

It is a simple transition.

Dave

Thats awesome, there are a few guys at my gym that have had the same affects, they are now off their BP meds, their cholesterol is now in check and the one guys arthritis has gone away. I am no doctor so take this for what it is but another lady had mild diabetes (or what ever that translates to) and that completely went away with the transition to full paleo after about 6 months!

• 4 months later...

I'm a believer, I kept to about 95% paleo over the last year or so - lately I've added some non-gluten grains and dairy back into my diet but that is only because I'm trying to put on some weight and just couldn't seem to get the calories I need eating strictly paleo

I have been intrigued by the Paleo Diet. I am diabetic, and all reports I have seen say it does good things for diabetics.

My Daughter has gone gluten free, with great results for most aspects of several persistent health problems.

Mark K

I've eaten a completely gluten/sugar/dairy/legume free Paleo diet for 227 days now. Along with random gout attacks going away, I've lost 37 lbs, my hair is growing back on my forehead, and I feel great.

Like some said Marks daily apple is good, Robb Wolf is outstanding, Whole30 forums are a great resource, and if you want recipes and stuff I blog about my journey at www.Whole360.blogspot.com

I am shooting for at least a year straight, and so far am loving the results.

Edited by Vanniek71