Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is a really fast split? What are the GM's capable of?

digby7

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am another one in the "splits" are no big deal camp...unless they are painfully slow. There was a time when I was suffering from trigger freeze. I worked on developing a neutral grip, I shot a lot of timing drills, and so forth to overcome the problem. As a result I managed to develop some pretty sporty splits. On the close hoser stages it wasn't uncommon to run arrays with .09-.11 splits with .12-.13 the norm (on hoser stuff with my open gun).

I don't have an ubber fast split monster video handy, but I did find this old video of some "normal" splits with a single stack. The video includes a make up shot for the mike on the last target. If you listen you can hear all seven pieces of brass hitting the ground well after the last shot is fired. Splits

Edited by Ron Ankeny

Who cares about splits? The money is made in the transitions. :cheers:

This, I don't worry about splits. I worry about seeing my sights to get good hits and getting my gun to the next target. The best splits I've done is around .13-.14 range, then again my transition is about the same on close targets :devil:

Second stage is a version of triple nickle

That is inspiring to watch-- thanks for sharing!

Who cares what your split times are-- the transitions are just as quick. If I closed my eyes and just took in the audio, I wouldn't know that you were engaging an array and not just a single target.

Oh, and we should all keep in mind that the gun itself (read: trigger) can make a huge difference for each individual.

I've had splits that sounded like a double. I can't do it on command though. The less I think about it, the softer my strong hand grip is, the easier it is to shoot fast. The last "double" I had on a target we actually looked at the timer and it was a .12. I've done with my 2011, 1911 and M&P. You can see the M&P action by watching my Alabama match (youtube link below). Last stage has the fastest split of the match. You'll have to go back a few months to find the Alabama match. I can't access it right now to post a direct link.

Dude you can totally see your post stage adrenaline crash as you turn and take it all in. Like whew! That was cool.

No, that was actually me thinking "what the hell was I doing making up that miss" so long after my last shot. When I did the math it actually cost less than 1 stage point.

I was the first shooter on the stage and the RO's style of giving the range commands made me think he was trying to help me out a ULSC, that's what got me looking around.

While not faster splits the transatitions with the pistol aren't too bad.

Edited by TMC

I can do .12's with my G34/vanek trigger.

I won't be hitting anything except the berm, though.

Generally .16 to .20 on most targets. But I'm still slower than the GM's by at least 2 or 3 seconds in a field course w/ movement. They just move more efficiently than I do. I'd be much closer to them by working on transitions/acquisitions/movement rather than working on hitting .11 splits.

1911 triggers can do.10 better than Glock triggers can do .10. The tradeoff for a better Glock trigger is slower reset. GM's can do .10's, maybe .12-13 with a Glock. But like that dam engineer says and everybody else says-it is in the transitions. I mean the guns can get faster splits, -there is no limit for the human part, technique and equipment get better. Practice splits are usually faster than matches. I don't know what TGO considers a really fast split, but I would like to know Brian's split on that old 1-2 Steel Challenge win that was a .91 win. VIdeo on here somewhere and in Lenny Magills video-those two shots sound like one shot. I think that was out of leather, too. Patrick the dam engineer has shotgun split times that are faster that a lot of pistol shooters.

GM's are capable of using the appropriate split for the shot and the acceptable scoring hit they want. The B Class shooter will generally shoot some of the fastest splits on targets on a stage, but generally that is because they don't know what the proper split for them on the particular target is.

I've learned that I can hit alphas all day long doing .20 splits. When I try to hose, and my splits in the 12s and13s, I get a lot of mikes. The true lesson is not how fast you can pull the tigger, it's how fast can you see the a zone for the second shot. Know your gun and your abilities and splits won't matter.

Fastest I've intentionally pulled (ie, when just seeing how fast I could manipulate the trigger) is a .10. I've done that a number of times. In a match, I managed to pull an .08 once. Third stage, last two shots:

That was one of those "float the gun, relax the right hand" things, but it wasn't a surprise double or anything. Those were intentional, just happened to be that fast.

Edited by XRe

I've learned that I can hit alphas all day long doing .20 splits. When I try to hose, and my splits in the 12s and13s, I get a lot of mikes.

That's because you're shooting double taps when you do that, not separately aimed shots cheers.gif

I try to have my splits be consistently the same to the point you do not notice my target transitions on arrays.... .15-.18 repeatable...in this video the first array is 4 targets staggered close to far.

Here is another...skip to the 44 sec mark, the first 35 sec is my deep concentration prep prior to shooting the stage...the last 3 targets were of medium distance...

Edited by DrawandDuck

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=5zcATnVBzLw

This may work, the link is from my mobile. Same TN match. Several stages had some solid splits. 2.20 second into it is my favorite, A zones only showing and my splits were the fastest on those two targets.

The key is to know when you can turn it up. More importantly, when you can't.