Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Dillon's 650 press worth it? !

OK,to make a long story short. I have been reloading many years, started with single stage then RCBS proggressive,

now have a couple of Lee Pro 1000(9mm)

The RCBS used to flip primers and spill powder, The LEE´S are just about useable if you spent more time making modifications than bullets.

The question is , is a dillon 650 all that it is made out to be, are there faults like all the rest.

Last night the LEE nearly took flying lessons, i need honest advice.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm.

I have to say that a 650 with the case feeder is very nice. Used a friends 650 before I got my 9mm dies in, and you can really crank out ammo with it. I have a 550 and am happy with it. Not as fast as a 650, but it fits my needs.

If you know someone with a 550 or 650, go take a look and make 100 rounds on it and see what you think :)

On a related note: The two presses that I hear of people having the least problems with are Any of the Dillons, or the Hornady LNL.

Hey Malcolm

I assume you have already been HERE

All of the Dillon presses WILL have the occasional problem. With that being said.... They, IMHO, are the best re loaders made...by a considerable margin.

Again, IMO,.... the 650 (or the 1050) is probably the hardest to get set JUST right but it is not all that difficult.

If you have had experiences with the RCBS and the Lee and made them work you will be able to set up and run the Dillon presses - with fewer problems and higher production rates.

For me, from easiest to hardest to operate and keep running properly. (I currently have several of all the presses below - except the 650s, and I have owned and sold traded several of those)

550b

Square Deal b

1050 - either model

Be aware - Some people have a terrible time with a particular press and learn to hate it with a passion so..... take your time and be sure to read a LOT of the posts on the Dillon section of the Forums before making any decisions....

Edited by Merlin Orr

I own two Lee presses, stopped using them years ago except for occasional one off things.

I now have a 550B and a RL1050. Either of these presses are light years ahead of the Lees.

Like Merlin said each has it's quirks, pick a press and learn it, in the end you will turn out better ammo faster with fewer problems.

Which press depends on how many of what ammo you load. Small batches and frequent caliber changes might steer you toward a 550, whereas high volume of 1 caliber might have you looking at a 650 or 1050.

The question is , is a dillon 650 all that it is made out to be,

Yes.

While there is a bit of a learning curve, the ability to quickly knock out 400-500 consistent rounds in a half hour is hard to beat. You could knock out a year's supply in a long weekend if your arm held out and you had someone to load primer tubes for you.

Glad I bought mine.

BB

Owned a Load Master, 550, 650, and LnL.

650 is the best of the group by far. I did the roller bearing mod. Bent the wire to get it consistent (because of the mod). Besides that all it needs is a very stable bench.

The 650 is almost as good as a L-N-L, provided you get a case feeder.

If you don't want a case feeder, get the L-N-L.

If you do want a case feeder, get the 650.

If you want to get one press, I love my 1050s.

Thanks everyone,

It looks like i will be changing colour AGAIN....

With my current setup I deprime and size on one machine, hand prime, then fill with powder and seat on another. Oh ,and don´t forget

back to the single stage for crimping...

My patience is wearing very thin with this proggresive style of loading..

Thanks for bothering to answer.

Malcolm.

I have a friend who has sworn for years that all you ever need in a progressive pistol machine is a Lee Loadmaster. He had two of them, I think. One set for 9mm, the other for .40. Told me I was wasting money on a LNL AP. Then he bought his first .45 and tried converting the Loadmaster over. One week later he had his first Dillon 650, and is now looking at buying a second.

I can tell you that in my experience with my LNL AP, once I got some teething issues out, it's been a fantastic press. It will occasionally mess up a primer feed (maybe 1 round out of every 300), but primers seem to be the Achilles' heel of most presses. I load 9mm, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W on my press, and have the parts for both .38/.357 and .41 Mag. Glad I went full progressive, and I'm satisfied with my choice.

To the original question.. Yes it is, particularly w/ the case feeder... But... I also have never used a LNL which it seems like

from what I've ready here on benos, that everyone who has them love them too..

Edited by gunfixer

I think the Dillon stuff is very easy to use and well made. They have done a lot of R&D to make it as reliable as possible and with the fewest issues. That being said, reloaders are mechanical things and as a result, should not be used by those who are not mechanically inclined. You indicate your have some experience and I think you will be OK.

The 650 does seem to have the most quirks. It also has a lot of features. I loaded 1,000s of rounds on a 550 and found it to be a great press. I've loaded a ton on a 1050 and it has some extra quirks but they are easy to get use to after a couple of thousand rounds. My 650 experience is with a SL900. It is the shotgun version of the 650. Once it got dialed in, it has run like champ.

Here is a little article I did comparing the Lee Pro-1000 to the Dillon 650: http://dfuse.us/loading.html

Now, almost 10 years later, I get about 1 upside down primer per 1K. I have performed most of the little tweaks, adjustments and upgrades, have almost 200,000 rounds on the press and could not be happier. I have received about 5 parts from Dillon on warranty, all shipped the next day. Loading 9mm, I put out right at 1000 rounds per hour on average. caliber conversions take about 5 mintues if I keep the same primer size.

The RF100 primer filler should just be an included part IMHO!

Edited by MarkCO

I grabbed a XL650 with casefeeder a few months after starting to reload on a Forster CoAx. With a casefeeder it is a sweet machine, though pricey especially if you plan on reloading multiple calibers. I got a friend started in reloading with a RL550B and after setting it up and using it, it is pretty simple with less fuss than the 650. Now after you start to understand the 650 and get some experience with it, if you run into issues while using it they can be cleared up quickly. Recently I loaded some .308 ammo and was getting 1/4-1/2moa at a very windy 100yds using extruded powder, it's not the most accurate rifle handloading that I have done but for the time spent it is completely acceptable. When you want to crank out the rounds the 650 can definitely push them out.

Recently I also purchased a BL550 to replace my beloved single stage Co-Ax. The 550 is capable of reloading more calibers than the 650 and the conversion kits are cheaper, (contain less parts). I like to prime/decap some of my cases by hand too, which is why I didn't need the primer assembly that the RL550 comes with.

(LNL AP: A friend ignited a primer tube accidentally and after recovering he shipped it back for a refund and upgraded to a 550, showed me the smoke and primer fragments on the ceiling. My cousin has the LNL AP with case feeder and has no complaints at all.)

I've loaded on a 550 for 4 years. I load for 5 calibers and am shooting .38 Special this year in IDPA's SSR Division. I wanted to move up to a 650 to reduce my loading time (wasn't unhappy with the 550 except it took about 12 minutes to load 100 rounds and I have a toddler so I wanted more family time). I have had the press set up for exactly one week today and have made 1300 rounds on it so far with very few issues and no issues that weren't from me learning the press. I loaded my first 100 rounds very slow getting the feel of the machine and my next 100 with a very even pace took only 5:30. So far I am very pleased with it and think I should've ordered it 3 years ago. I only ordered .38SPL and .40 conversions but will soon be placing an order for 9mm and .38Supercomp in the very near future. I plan on leaving the 550 set up for .45.

In a word.... YES, it's all it's cracked up to be (so far)

Matt

OK Guys I am convinced,

Next problem is finding one as I am in Spain and due to European crisis no shops are holding stocks of anything..

Yesterday my local Gunstore had no primers, no powder and no Dillon Press with no intention of restocking...

I will try Saul Kirsh in Holland (Double Alpha Acadamy) He has allways been really helpfull.

Thanks again,

Malcolm..

OK,to make a long story short. I have been reloading many years, started with single stage then RCBS proggressive,

now have a couple of Lee Pro 1000(9mm)

The RCBS used to flip primers and spill powder, The LEE´S are just about useable if you spent more time making modifications than bullets.

The question is , is a dillon 650 all that it is made out to be, are there faults like all the rest.

Last night the LEE nearly took flying lessons, i need honest advice.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm.

The XL650 is worth every cent.... there are a few warts, but they are small and easily managed. I have two as backups for my RL1050 and Super 1050.

The Lee 1000 is just not in the same league - remove the frustration and get the BLUES. B)

OK Guys I am convinced,

Next problem is finding one as I am in Spain and due to European crisis no shops are holding stocks of anything..

Yesterday my local Gunstore had no primers, no powder and no Dillon Press with no intention of restocking...

I will try Saul Kirsh in Holland (Double Alpha Acadamy) He has allways been really helpfull.Thanks again,

Malcolm..

Malcolm,

I see that Brian does not do exports, but I did not see presses on the restricted list from Dillon Direct;

may be worth dropping them an email anyway.. I dunno.. Good luck,

Check this out: Dillon International Orders

Either the 550, 650, 1050, and the the Lock and Load from Hornady are all first class loaders. As to ignition of the primer tube, in the LNL, that had to be something extremely stupid like using a hammer to drive primers into the tube. I have about 80k on the LNL and have not lite it up yet, the primer is about 2" from the tube when it is seated, it takes a good amount of force to seat, I call it a jab, but I have not lite one up yet. A JOI can break a crowbar.

With the LNL, case feeder and bullet feeder I crank out 100 rounds in 6 minutes. ON my 650 with CF, and BF, I did it in 5.5 minutes. My average on either without the Bullet feeder is about 500 quality rounds per hour, taking my time with 9 major. No mistakes allowed.

Bought a 650 about a year ago and I have no regrets, great machine. Keep us posted on the Lee taking the flying lessons but a youtube video of the lesson would really be nice. :roflol:

Edited by pops1982

Either the 550, 650, 1050, and the the Lock and Load from Hornady are all first class loaders. As to ignition of the primer tube, in the LNL, that had to be something extremely stupid like using a hammer to drive primers into the tube. I have about 80k on the LNL and have not lite it up yet, the primer is about 2" from the tube when it is seated, it takes a good amount of force to seat, I call it a jab, but I have not lite one up yet. A JOI can break a crowbar.

With the LNL, case feeder and bullet feeder I crank out 100 rounds in 6 minutes. ON my 650 with CF, and BF, I did it in 5.5 minutes. My average on either without the Bullet feeder is about 500 quality rounds per hour, taking my time with 9 major. No mistakes allowed.

Neither my 550 or 650 require that effort. My LnL did not seat primers well enough. I got too tired trying to "jab" them in. That to me is not a sign of a "first class loader".

People get confused by all the red vs blue bickering. But it's things like this that highlight why I like my Dillon's so much. Even if the LnL has some cool features on paper. My 650 primes so much easier then even my 550 and way easier then my LnL. Considering how every round requires a push to prime that is a big deal to me.

OK an update,

just tried yet another mod to the LEE. I have got the primer feed trough nearly vertical(hot air gun, lockwire and swearing)

So now deprime, size and prime,(then change everything add powder and seat, then single stage crimp)

this works ok, BUT are there enough hours in the day to do this....

Thanks to markCO for the indepth comparison, he has it spot on.

emailed Dillon two days ago about Spanish importer ...Still no reply.

Got a big competition this Saturday so need to burn some ammo..As Coco says you can´t really take your eye of the ball loading 9mm Major.

It is impossible to double charge, but i have had a couple of squibs and that silence when you pull the trigger of a major gun is not nice..

Thanks for your help and advice.

Malcolm.