Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST for 9mm

kingdarb

WST works very well with BayouBullets or Precision molly in 9 mm, with jacketed bullets 125gr it is a bit snappy. I have shot a lot of 125gr Zeros with WST, the oal and pay attention here was 1.145 and 4.6gr of WST with WinSPP. This will get you to 130-135pf depending on the speed of your barrel, don't push beyond this with this powder. Yes, that is a warning, at a shorter oal less powder!

Do yourself a favor and get some N320 it is the perfect choice for 9 mm 125gr Jacketed.

4.5 to 4.8gr of IMR7625 makes a nice shooting load as well.

What about IMR 4756 ?

IMR 4756 certainly can be used in 9 mm but as a minor power factor "competition" shooting round you are not going to get the soft recoil of other preferred loads. On the positive side you could probably dip the case in the powder and stuff a bullet without blowing your gun up. We don't use it in 9 major because enought cannot fit the case to get there. 4756 is ideally suited for 38 Super, and falls in with 3N38, N105, AA#7, and BlueDot. IMR7625 falls into the group with WSF, 3N37, Silhouette, TruBlue, AutoComp and a few other, which are border line slow.

The absolute softest shooting powder in 9 minor is Clays, however, my testing with clays failed in the accuracy phase. My gun just acted like a smooth bore with good bullets and clays, but man it had zip for muzzle rise. If there were no requirement to hit with any accuracy it would be a winner. The general theory in a production or limited competion round is heavier bullet with faster powder. The extremes of this like 160gr 9 mm pill with a fast powder can be dangerous, so it is a balance of muzzle flip, accuracy, and safety that you have to settle for.

I think over the next year or even two we will be using what we can get, and not what we like or want in powder, primers, and bullets, and it could be you take some time off because of primers. I've had to go to .223 bullets I would never have bought, loading them over powder I don't begin to like, but they go bang and poke holes in card board, at moderate range.

• 5 years later...

My load is 5.2gr of wst with a Montana gold 115gr jhp mixed cases and whatever primer I have on hand which is usually federal or Winchester loaded on a Dillion 550 the press as it charges the case it also bells the mount to accept the projectile. Then I taper crimp with Dillion die very lightly just enough to take away the flair in the case mouth it’s not done as a crimp to hold in the projectile but to reshape the mount for feeding my oal length is 1.135 the oal is as long and still function in all my mags berreta sti hi power glock khar hk ar15-9mm runs my full auto as well. and a few others the projectile its is 0.550 or 13.99mm in lengh about 4mm of projectile is in case just touching or very lightly compressing the load don’t have xray vision to tell exactly. This is my do everything load cant remember vol but power factor is 127 out of a sig 226 and a sti2011 with a kart barrel at 15 feet at about 100 degrees at 1100 ft alt. I also will use same load with a 124-125 lead projectile.  This in my guns as well as 10-15 guy at the club is safe but every gun, barrel and component and especially the crimp and loading technique is different so reduce by 10% and start there

• 1 year later...

Adding my recent experience with WST. I wanted a soft 9 minor load that would also suppress well. WST suppresses very well, is very clean, and at the 3.5grs needed to get a 147gr Blue Bullet to about 940 fps, wasn't enough to create pressure sign in a CZ Shadow 2 and an MPX with 4.5" ILWT barrel. 

At 100 yards, the 4.5" MPX with a suppressor can ring an 8" plate quite regularly.