Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle powder grain size

kamikaze1a

Looking for 223 rifle powder that has grains larger than BLC2/H335 but still meter decent. BLC2 grains too fine and my disc measure leaking way too much. Loading blaster ammo on a progressive press so not trying for precision ammo. Tried IMR powders but too coarse grained. Varget a bit finer than IMR so might try that next. Any other suggestions?

I take it you are using a Lee disk powder measure? Those behave a bit differently than a bar but you shouldn't have powder leaking. Are you sure you have a good fit between the hopper and the disk?

I use AA2230 on a 550 and it meters just fine for me so you might want to give it a try.

Bingo! Yup Lee disc measure. Using double disc to get the proper throw and noticed a gap between the hopper and disc when assembling and the fine grained BLC2 leaking out. Leaking powder sticking to the case lube residue on the shell holder causing brass to sit off kilter. Thought about filing double disc adapter to close the gap but thinking coarser powder with modified powder measure should fix the leak.

Is AA2230 coarser than BLC2/H335? I was going to try AA2230 after I use up my jugs of BLC2...

Using double disc to get the proper throw and noticed a gap between the hopper and disc when assembling

Check with Lee, that should not be happening. It is possible to assemble the thing wrong way around.

As to relative size of powder, I haven't a clue. Check around and see if someone near you has some different powders and see how they compare.

Looking for 223 rifle powder that has grains larger than BLC2/H335 but still meter decent. BLC2 grains too fine and my disc measure leaking way too much. Loading blaster ammo on a progressive press so not trying for precision ammo. Tried IMR powders but too coarse grained. Varget a bit finer than IMR so might try that next. Any other suggestions?

I use imr 8208 meters really well through my dillon 650 use it 223 and 308

I tried XBR8208 and Varget and it leaked too. The auto disc's gap between the disc and the hopper and the plastic construction the weak link in the equation.

I had seen info on converting Hornady powder measure to the Lee loader. I will have search for that article and do that conversion someday.

The auto disc's gap between the disc and the hopper and the plastic construction the weak link in the equation.

There is definately something wrong - it should not be doing that regardless of the powder. I really suggest that you call or email Lee. They have always been very responsive with me.