Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New competitor seeking advice

Scoobb

So I was hesitant to do this but we all start somewhere. I shot my first match towards the end of october 2011.

And in November and December was kind of slow due to the weather. So I haven't really shot too many matches. I'm still Unclassified.

I would really like to improve my game. I know I have a ton to work on, but just wanted to post a vid and maybe get some feedback.

One if the things I've really been trying to do is make sure I have a good sight picture before pulling the trigger. I had one match where my double taps on close targets, where all A, C. This was the match yesterday, other than the first stage I felt like I did ok.

So lay it on me :)

Scoobb> Your shooting is not bad at all given how short of a time you have been competing. You are taking the time to hit what you are aiming and shooting at which in its self is a huge step forward when compared to a lot of other new shooters. Here are a couple of tips that will help save you seconds on most stages. (1) Always have a sense of urgency and move with aggressiveness any time you are NOT shooting. This means that if you are moving from one shooting position to another and you need to run. RUN like you mean it. The same goes for aggressively transitioning from one target to another. (2) Any time you move to a new shooting position have the gun up and ready to shoot. Don't run to the shooting position, plant your feet, then raise the gun to shoot. The gun needs to be up and ready to shoot as soon as your stance has settled down in the shooting position. If you optimize these two things alone it will shave multiple seconds of all of your stage runs.

This being one of your first uspsa match it is not bad, I like the fact that your trying for a perfect sight picture before each shot. one thing that stuck out to me was during your reloads and transitions that you were dropping the gun down to about your waist, practice keeping the gun up high as during reloads and entering and exiting shooting positions. One more thing try not to work on too many things at once and overwhelm yourself and if get a copy of brians book(priceless info).

Charlie and Sean have said some good things. Honestly, for being very new to the game, you're doing pretty well - I'm going to guess you'll get a C card, depending on how you've performed on the classifiers (looks like C class shooting to me). Jadeslade's right (thanks for the shout out, dude :) ) - I'm here in Austin, and I do teach (in fact, I have a group class coming up this summer out in Bryan/College Station - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141639, if you'd want something in that format - otherwise, I can totally do privates, if you're into that...)

I wouldn't worry about shooting doubles or what your split times are like, at this point. Like everyone else in the game (including me), you could definitely use some work on your target transitions (ie, moving the gun from target to target). There's a lot of drills on the forum for working those (Brian has a good one, for instance). That's one of your biggest time sinks. The other one is how you're not really nailing down solid positions - you have to move around a lot to get to targets that you're shooting from the same spot on the stage. Every time you pick up a foot, you're spending time. Strive to get into a position where you can shoot all the targets you're going to shoot from that spot without having to move your feet around (it takes some practice).

So, that's four things to work on - that's actually a good amount to start with. Let me know if you have questions about any of those things - I'll help you out any way I can cheers.gif

"my double taps on close targets, were all A, C."

Double taps will always break your heart...they lull you in with a promise of speed, then leave you wondering where your second shot went.

They are especially dangerous for newbies becasue they can work 50-75% of the time on certain stages at certain levels of skill.

Steer clear of double taps...

I'd have to agree with the comments about when not shooting move as fast as possible to the next location and always keep the gun up close to shooting height. Single biggest thing I see new shooters do is walk to the next shooting position.

Dry fire practice will help with draws and reloads, but I've always been told do dry fire drills at slow speed to build muscle memory, save the speed part for live fire.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Every time you pick up a foot, you're spending time. Strive to get into a position where you can shoot all the targets you're going to shoot from that spot without having to move your feet around (it takes some practice).

cheers.gif

First off, you look far better than I did at my first match :)

Second, Dave Re gave some excellent advice on minimizing movement. That is something that took me a long time and some classes to figure out. Plant your feet, do all the shooting you can and then *explode* into motion and *run* to the next spot and do it again.

As a suggestion: Get a timer and I bet if you set up a stage and shoot it one time shooting while moving, and then shoot it again minimizing your movement to one or two positions, you will cut several seconds off and potentially be more accurate.

The A,C double tap was something that happened at a previous match. The match in this video my scoring was actually really good, besides the first stage, and the last stage was all A's but I had a failure to engage that hurt.

Yeah I have emailed dave a couple of times and am aware he does offer classes. I've actually met you once, I believe at an ARC shoot. You even offered to let a friend of mine use your chrony.

And for sure I would totally love to get some one on one time with Dave. And if I had the money I would be getting dave once a week, I would love to put that kind of effort into it. I know I have a ton of different things to work on, movement was a big one from the start, so I have been trying to move faster. You should of seen my first match I was just walking, maybe a little skip here and there :)

I recently just got back into school after 10 years, and i've been trying to sell off a couple guns I don't shoot to get a true major limited gun.

Thanks for the advice, I'll put it to good use

Yeah I have emailed dave a couple of times and am aware he does offer classes. I've actually met you once, I believe at an ARC shoot. You even offered to let a friend of mine use your chrony.

Oh, gotcha... My bad :)

And for sure I would totally love to get some one on one time with Dave. And if I had the money I would be getting dave once a week, I would love to put that kind of effort into it. I know I have a ton of different things to work on, movement was a big one from the start, so I have been trying to move faster. You should of seen my first match I was just walking, maybe a little skip here and there :)

"getting Dave once a week"? surprise.gif

Actually - you'd be better off training about once a quarter, or maybe even less frequently depending on how much practice time you've been able to sink in. Supervised practice is another option in between, but you want to be careful about introducing more than you can work and incorporate in each training session. Otherwise, it becomes wasted time/money cheers.gif

• 1 month later...