Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21 repair and upgrade questions

David Sinko

I have two Glock 21s which are early production. I just discovered that one has a chipped extractor (though it still extracts perfectly). When I buy a new extractor, I presume I'll get a later version the so-called loaded chamber indicator. Will it be necessary to buy a new spring and spring loaded bearing to ensure proper function? I am inclined to believe that the new extractor will not be compatible with the older parts.

One of my 21s uses a Wolff guide rod and 19 lb. recoil spring for heavier loads. The recoil spring came with an extra power firing pin spring which I did not install. Today I had two misfires at the range, and that has never happened before. Is it possible that the heavier recoil spring combined with the stock firing pin spring can cause misfires? I looked for the extra power firing pin spring and discovered that it fell out of the packet and is mixed with some other reduced power springs. Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to tell them apart just by looking at them?

Dave Sinko

You can probably still get a standard extractor (I can't call my contact at the factory, as it is 11 PM here in Atlanta). If you do have to go to the LCI extractor, they you will have to go to a new Spring-Loaded Bearing. That is the only change besides the extractor dimensions.

You said "early production". Just how early are we talking? My serial number is in the AYH-series and was one of the first ones to come with the 15-degree bevel on the front of the extractor. They will need to know if yours is a 15-degree or a 90-degree. If it's a 90, they're gonna want the gun back to cut the slide for the new extractor.

Your "extra power firing pin spring" should be totally un-necessary. Glock springs are plenty stout for all but the toughest primers. I would go to a factory spring because they just seem to last longer.

Why are you running a 19# spring? If you're running 230 grain hardball equivalent, the 17# factory spring or its equivalent should be good. I run a 15# in mine, but it's 170 Power Factor loads. Working with new shooters, I have found that most guns are over-sprung from the factory. The slide closes with too much force and causes the front to dip on recovery. They you either have to wait while you re-adjust the sight picture or learn to accept that the second shot on a quick "hammer"-type double tap will be low-and-centered.

Edited by Braxton1

Actually the gun that broke the extractor is an AEV series that I bought used. It was allegedly an old law enforcement trade-in. It had already been sent back to the factory for the slide modification prior to my buying it; I had forgotten about those 90 degree extractors, as this gun already had the upgraded one. All the spare parts that I have will go into this gun so that it remains completely stock. I guess I'll upgrade my later and more heavily used model with the newer extractor parts.

I have a good quantity of heavier handloads, which are 225 and 230 gr. bullets at what I estimate are close to 900 FPS. They are mostly for practice in my 625 carry guns, but my 21s shoot them nicely with the Bar-Sto barrel. At first I was thinking that the 19 lb. recoil spring would be better for these, but now I think I'll just stay with the original springs. Yesterday my second 21 misfired again with both my handloads and a factory load, using all stock springs. This has never happened before, so I guess it's time to change that striker spring with a factory strength replacement. I no longer shoot Production with my 21s so using all stock springs should keep things very simple for me.

Dave Sinko