Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any thoughts on the new 1x4 from SWFA

GIO

Well now the safe assumption is that the entire rear occular ring is diopter adjustment. What we found however was that it was only a focus. On all my other low power variable scopes, that little adjustment ring sticking out the back not only adjusts the clarity of the image, but also has the impact of adjusting the magnification level. On both my TR24 and my Meopta the magnification shift is something like +/- .2x-.3x. I actually need slightly more magnification to match my left to right eye. If I had to guess, I'd say something in the ballpark of 1.08x actual magnification level, to marry up the two images. On the SWFA unit we got, the large occular ring only made the picture fuzzy or clear. It had no impact on magnification at all. The only way we were able to get the focal distance adjusted for us as individuals, was to make very small adjustments to the actual zoom ring. On my current scopes, adjusting the diopter has a couple of different effects. 1. It makes the image zoom in and out independent of the actual zoom ring. 2. It has the effect of shifting focus (fuzzy and clear) slightly at different zoom levels. The trick for me has always been finding just the right diopter adjustment to make the two images marry up at 1x while not messing up the focus of the target or the reticle at 4x. I can usually find the right setting, or something close enough to get the job done.

Could someone who has the glass, take a look and confirm if turning the rear focus ring is focus adjustment only, or does it also fine tune the magnification level? I'm not above correction, so if I'm smokin something funny please chime in.

• 1 month later...

I have the 1-4 doughnut SS in mil/mil. I use the mil reticle for holdovers out to 625, works great. The only complaint I have is when spotting for someone else, the doughnut takes up a lot of the sight picture at 4x. I don't notice it when I'm doing the shooting though.

scopes are really a very personal thing and I'd recommend trying to shoot other peoples guns with different optics on them to see what you like. I have a borrowed Swaro and it is a wonderful scope. The glass is so clear and crisp. But, don't know if I'll end up buying it or not, that's a whole lot of money. But damn, when you look through it, you're amazed. I shot my last stage of Benning 2010 virtually in the dark. At 200 yds I couldn't see the red plates with my eye. I could see them through the Swaro.