Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To upgrade or replace...

Sasquatch

Howdy folks! I'm new to the board. A friend of mine told me about the forum and it looks like a wealth of information.

For now, I have a question about whether to upgrade or replace my Colt 1991A1 and I haven't been able to find anything with the search so far. I've been getting into shooting 3-gun these last few years and I'd really like to move up to a single stack 1911 that has a high-ride grip safety. The rules at most 3-gun matches say the pistol has to be in stock configuration. How is that typically interpreted? Can I do things like refinish the slide, replace the grip safety and hammer, switch to an arched mainspring housing? I shoot heavy metal division if that makes a difference. I'm just wanting to make some of those upgrades, but could just sell it and get another pistol that comes with those option stock if necessary.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to help out a noob!

Upgrading your 1991-A1 with the parts you listed should not be a problem with most sanctioning bodies, the arched mainspring housing, beavertail and aftermarket hammer are generally considered stock by everyone nowadays. Refinishing the slide shouldn't be an issue either. If you're happy with how your gun shoots, then by all means do the upgrades!

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I'm definitely pleased with how the gun shoots, so looks like I'll be ordering some parts. It's pretty loose compared to a most competition guns, but it's still more accurate than I am and it's been very reliable. Thanks again.

Welcome to the Forums. It is always good to hear that there is a new Heavy Metal shooter. :cheers:

As far as the Colt,I would upgrade it to suit you, as long as you dont put a comp on it or port the barrel, it should be legal for Heavy Metal everywhere that I have been.

Hurley