Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

keith style 9mm bullet?

Brownie38

Hello all. New to this forum however not new to handloading. I am wondering about the possibility of shooting RCBS 150gn keith bullets in a 9mm luger? I can size them whatever size I need so that isn't an issue..Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this or something similar ..Any load data would also be of great value. Thnx Brownie.

I am wondering about the possibility of shooting RCBS 150gn keith bullets in a 9mm luger?

Brownie, not familiar with that one particular bullet, but I've loaded 150 grain and currently

using 147 grain bullets - so you're in comfortable range. Isn't the Keith bullet a SWC? That

could make feeding a problem - might be better off with a round nose design?

Good luck,

Jack

Jack...yes it is a swc bullet intended for. 38/.357 it drops from mould right at. 357 diameter. I can size to 356. I have loaded several dummy rounds to check for function. They chamber and feed flawlessly by hand. My concern is the amount of case capacity they take up. Don't want to run into pressure problems with lack of case capacity. There is approximately. 350-.360 thou of bullet inside the case...Im just going by memory on that but can get a good measurement when I get home. Thanks for any help you can provide

Jack... They chamber and feed flawlessly by hand. My concern is the amount of case capacity they take up.

Brownie, if they feed, I'd pick a powder you like, start at the lowest amount of powder recommended for a 147 gr lead bullet

- first, set the OAL to the longest you can still get the load to chamber perfectly.

Then measure to see that you're not compressing the powder with the bullet.

That's not an unusually heavy load - many IPSC shooters prefer 147 gr

bullets - just look for the recommended load for a 147 grain LEAD bullet,

and start very low - use a chrono to get where you want, looking for

pressure signs.

Good luck,

Jack

Jack could you give me a fairly precise measurement on how much bullet you have inside the case with your 150. grain loading and what powder and charge your running. Not that im going to run right out and try your load just looking for the most information I can come up with at this time.

I just sized a batch of Lyman 358156 to try in 9mm. I'm hoping the step for the gas check will function line the boat tail on Lymans 147 gr 9mm bullet. My starting point will be 3.0 gr of Bullseye, which should be safe from what I've read that was written by responsible adults that I trust. It appears my OAL would be almost the same as my 147 Hornady JHP loads. I'm just concerned about the velocity I might get, but I won't know until I try. If you choose to try this data, you're on your own, as I am with my own loading.

Edited by anachronism

Jack could you give me a fairly precise measurement on how much bullet you have inside the case with your 150. grain loading and what powder and charge your running.

Brownie, sorry, but I don't remember the 150 and I don't know

how much of the 147 (MG) is in the case. My OAL is 1.13" but

it worked down to 1.125" as well.

It was a light load of WW231 - probably around 3.5 grains, but

I'm not positive (sorry to be vague, but I've been shooting

OPEN for the past couple years).

The other post of Bullseye seems pretty specific - I'd start

as low as you can, use a chrony, seat the bullet out as far

as your mags/gun will allow, and look for pressure signs -

you're not in dangerous unchartered waters with the load -

you'll be fine.

Good luck,

Jack

Jack thnx for your help..

Your giving me the total overall cartridge length. Im more interested in the length of the bullet alone.

With this information I can determine how much of the bullet is inside the case.

Allowing me to determine water capacity of case with bullet seated.

Thus helping to extrapolate what kind of pressures expected to be generated

Thnx: Brownie

You're giving me OAL. Im interested in the length of the bullet alone.

Brownie, sorry, I don't have any of the MG 147's here (I'm in

Florida, and the bullets are in NY). Maybe someone else can tell

you the length of a MG 147? Montana Gold?

Good luck with it.

Jack

Start with 3.0 grains of HP38. The only problem with this combo is the long length of bullet inserted into the casing. And since there are hundreds of brands of 9 mm brass around, the thickness of the walls makes a big difference and case bulging at the base of the bullet becomes an issue. Not unsafe, just won't function.

The bullet works great in 38 super with same load (but super is a straight walled case).

There is a specific mold available for 9mm/38 super 150 gr SWC. Heck, I have even had customers order the 158 grain bullet sized to 356/355 for use in 9 mm / 38 super.

Jim

I just measured a sample of 10 Montana Gold 147 grain CMJ bullets. They were all .636"

I think a bullet length thread would be a good idea. Anybody else? Something like this:

MG 147gn CMJ .636"

Precision Bullets 147gn moly .661"

MG 124gn JHP .577"

Folks could contribute info on what they have on hand. With enough contributions it would make a nice searchable database. Bullet dimensions other than diameter can be hard to find sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...