Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot size question

NWcityguy2

I am starting to get into 3 gun but am trying to get the $$$ spent low. I've got a 1300 Defender with a wide open barrel and at my first match wasn't able to knock the steel off a texas star at about 10 meters. I wasn't the only one of the new guys to give up after spending all their shells trying to knock them off either. I was shooting the wally world Federal 7 1/2 100 pack.

Within the context of I'm not replacing my shotgun, what is going to be the most cost effective way to knock steel over better? One person suggested 2 3/4 turkey loads, another suggested getting my barrel threaded for chokes. With 3 gun I'm there more to shoot and get better than to win it all but it is annoying to shoot the same target multiple times and have to take a miss. What do you guys think?

Most clubs / matches limit the size shot that you can engage steel with... usually #6 shot, however I have seen it limited to7.5 or smaller... The honest answer is get your barrel threaded for chokes.

If you can get access to some heavy plates, you can try heavy loads, different shot size, etc....

Have you patterned your gun? Is it consistent, what is the spread at 5, 10, 15, 20 yards?

I use Federal Heavy game loads 1&1/8oz of 6 shot I buy them online for $60 a case of 250 with shipping it is about the same as I pay for the cheap wally world stuff when you add tax. I think they would help you a lot. Every match that I shoot someone asks what I am using because it hits the targets hard and moves them well. If you can I would have your gun threaded. My 590A1 has been threaded and has a light modified choke installed. Good luck and have fun!

I was in the same boat as you at my first match. Shot the same gun and had the same problems. The 1300 is a great pump and in my opinion has the slickest action you can find, but the cyl bore barrel on the Defender is always going to come up short. If that is what you are doing to use as your 3-gun shotty I would definetly suggest getting the barrel threaded for chokes. That or take the money you would spend on that and put it towards a new shotgun. The Mossberg 930 and the CZ 712 are both popular autos that can be had at a fairly low cost. Between the money you would save by not installing chokes combined with what you could sell your Defender for, you would be well on your way to a new gun.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Most clubs / matches limit the size shot that you can engage steel with... usually #6 shot, however I have seen it limited to7.5 or smaller...

They only said no buckshot or slugs.

Have you patterned your gun? Is it consistent, what is the spread at 5, 10, 15, 20 yards?

Thats on the to do list this week. I've had the gun for 10+ years and I did it once when I first got it :).

I use Federal Heavy game loads 1&1/8oz of 6 shot

I'll give that a try at the next match.

Also there is no gunsmith where I live that I'd let work on my gun, what is a good place to send a barrel off to? About what is the going rate for prices of threading? I did a google search but prices seemed to be all over the place.

Walmart Federal 7 1/2 Value Pak (3 1/8dr) is the Deluxe Ammo for 3G. Because you can buy it anywhere, it works, and its what Kurt Miller said was the bestest ammo. Seriously, you need chokes, and a day at the range patterning them. An improved cylinder, and a light modified should do it. Try Briley-I've had barrels threaded by them for not a whole lot. WIth the right choke, you should be able to blast that star easy from ten yds as fast as you can pull the trigger. With the WallyWorld.

I use Federal Heavy game loads 1&1/8oz of 6 shot I buy them online for $60 a case of 250 with shipping it is about the same as I pay for the cheap wally world stuff when you add tax.

Not to hijack this thread but where are you buying those for $60/case? I need a case or two!

Thanks!

Mark Miller

Also there is no gunsmith where I live that I'd let work on my gun, what is a good place to send a barrel off to? About what is the going rate for prices of threading? I did a google search but prices seemed to be all over the place.

Carlson's is in Kansas and charges $125 for single-barrel guns, including a wrench and three tubes, and a two-day turnaround. I would pay the upgrade price and get the extended "Sporting Clays" tubes because they're so much easier to change out between stages.

www.choketube.com

Edited by Braxton1

All good advice...for the extra knock down power I just use Win AA Super Sport sporting clays 7 1/2 or Rem Premier Nitro sporting clays 7 1/2, both are 1300fps. This way I still have a dense pattern if there are any flying clays on a stage. Having chokes certainly gives you more options...but if you want quick and easy I would just change ammo to suit the stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Now you know that the shot size, shot weight, velocity, choke (or lack thereof), distance from the target, size/weight/configuration of the target and barrel length all factor in as to whether you knock down a plate. And busting a clay is very different - much more forgiving. It all boils down to mass and velocity. It is helpful for me in practice to paint steel and notice whether I am dusting all the paint off or just peppering the plate. Not just seeing if it goes down. The pattern will indicate how close to a center punch you need to score a hit. and that indicates how fast you can shoot at that distance or with that set up.

Good morning,

I recently had my 930SPX threaded for chokes by "Guncat" of Rose Action Sports. The cost was 65$ and included return shipping, he had the barrel back to me a week after I shipped it.

Rose Action Sports

Ands_5-G_original.jpg

I'm running a mod choke now, but have ordered a few more. Shot a few hundred clays and it seemed like I had to try to miss them. :)

fCfKmUOb_original.jpg

Edited by 6Liter240Z

when you go from #6 to a 7.5 you are getting almost twice as many pellets. From RO ing more guys with all kinds of SGs out there that #6 will take all plates off/down better in guns that are marginal as far as short barrels and or no chokes. My 18.5 remington CLY gun will not do much with 7.5 or 8's, put some #6 high brass shells in there and it will take anything down that we have shot. Just Sat guys were complaining that the steel was too far away: the hits were not center, he was shooting 1 oz of 7.5 's at the bottom plate on a TX star. Just saying that while YES shot size and choke matter quite a bit, you still have to hit the plates square with some guns. Also, given the save weight of the same size shot all shells are not made the same and some will pattern tight, while others will not be close.