Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is shot calling?

Tom Brannon

I have recently realized that you can learn to call your shots more accurately by "scoring" your runs on multi shot dry fire drills instead of ONLY pulling the trigger on Alphas. It's a good speed mode trick as well.

This will likely be confusing and controversial.

:)

SA

Even though it's dry fire, I don't always only pull the trigger when I'm on an alpha when I'm really pushing myself for speed. Calling shots becomes a habit in dry fire as well as live fire. I take mental note of poor shots and correct it the next time rather than taking the time to score a run. It's a great idea for someone with plenty of time to spare!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the biggest obstacle to shot calling is blinking during the shot. Watch Travis' eyes in the video. He is right, but I don't think this is emphasized enough.

If you don't have enough lead down the barrel so that your subconscious ignores the noise and recoil, you blink. If you blink, you can't call the shot.

Shoot at a target, but try to "watch" your pistol. When you have that down, then practice calling the shots (like the drill at the end of the video).

Also if you are blinking you are flinching, which effects the shot, even though it may be a small effect it is an effect. (On long range shots it can be a huge difference).

I know I have to work on this periodically (louder guns are worse and require more practice to stop the blinking). :rolleyes:

I still think the biggest obstacle to shot calling is blinking during the shot. Watch Travis' eyes in the video. He is right, but I don't think this is emphasized enough.

If you don't have enough lead down the barrel so that your subconscious ignores the noise and recoil, you blink. If you blink, you can't call the shot.

Shoot at a target, but try to "watch" your pistol. When you have that down, then practice calling the shots (like the drill at the end of the video).

Also if you are blinking you are flinching, which effects the shot, even though it may be a small effect it is an effect. (On long range shots it can be a huge difference).

I know I have to work on this periodically (louder guns are worse and require more practice to stop the blinking). :rolleyes:

Do you wear contact lenses?

what if you blink

Then you need to train yourself not to. Bring your focus to your eye when you are making a shot in practice, and work on not blinking. Takes time and practice, and it is a perishable skill.

in the list of skills one must learn not to blink before one can call a shot...

or you can do it my way... and use the fact that you didn't call the shot

as a way to know you are blinking :blink:

I was one asked to explain calling a shot

this was my answer

the difference between aiming and calling a shot is when it happens.

There is a very small and real amount of time from when you commit the shot

and when the firearm barks out the bullet.

If you are looking at the sights during that small amount of time, you could call the shot.

in fact you probably did, however you may not have used the information.

don't blink and watch yourself shoot, it is a lot of fun.

miranda

Radial Keratotomy. Old fashion LASIK but with a blade not a laser. Contacts are not so experimental. I've fit several patients that had RK.

Can you tell me about the specific vitamin regimen recommended by opthamologists to maintain healthy eyes? What vitamins/minerals are necessary that are not included in daily multivitamins? Is it beneficial to take something like Prosight or EyeVites prophylactically?

Radial Keratotomy. Old fashion LASIK but with a blade not a laser. Contacts are not so experimental. I've fit several patients that had RK.

Can you tell me about the specific vitamin regimen recommended by opthamologists to maintain healthy eyes? What vitamins/minerals are necessary that are not included in daily multivitamins? Is it beneficial to take something like Prosight or EyeVites prophylactically?

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Focus-90-Capsules/dp/B008OIPQNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362760863&sr=8-1&keywords=tac+sci

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I also like to start my practices by shooting a magazine or two into the berm with no target. I simply focus on the sights. I think its a nice warm-up. I read that on here somewhere last year. I think it was a tip from BE himself.

I have a very similar warm up dril but the first mag I dump out as fast as I can. This way it is out of my system and I think it helps me focus for the rest of the match. When I am walking around at work I also try and visualize a good sight picture or random objects to help with my mental conditioning.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I also like to start my practices by shooting a magazine or two into the berm with no target. I simply focus on the sights. I think its a nice warm-up. I read that on here somewhere last year. I think it was a tip from BE himself.

I have a very similar warm up dril but the first mag I dump out as fast as I can. This way it is out of my system and I think it helps me focus for the rest of the match. When I am walking around at work I also try and visualize a good sight picture or random objects to help with my mental conditioning.

I see shooters randomly do this at odd times; it's kind of entertaining. Those who don't realize what they are doing think that they are just pensive.

• 1 month later...