Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is shot calling?

Tom Brannon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will of course get reamed for answering because I like to simplify things to the basic level.

Shot calling is simply knowing you hit the target based on where your sights were. Again, thats just how I break it down.

Best example is with shooting steel. You don't look to see if it falls and you don't listen for the ding when you hit it. If you called your shot you KNEW you hit it and moved on.

This is why some shooters blow through a steel array and only when scoring targets do they find out they missed one.

You will get more informed answers but like I said thats what it boils down to for me.

Essentially on paper targets at a distance where you can't see the holes you are doing your best to call your shot and moving on to the next target.

I will of course get reamed for answering because I like to simplify things to the basic level.

Shot calling is simply knowing you hit the target based on where your sights were. Again, thats just how I break it down.

Best example is with shooting steel. You don't look to see if it falls and you don't listen for the ding when you hit it. If you called your shot you KNEW you hit it and moved on.

This is why some shooters blow through a steel array and only when scoring targets do they find out they missed one.

You will get more informed answers but like I said thats what it boils down to for me.

Essentially on paper targets at a distance where you can't see the holes you are doing your best to call your shot and moving on to the next target.

ok, Thanks...

Kelly McCann has a video somehere on You Tube where he's practicing "snap shooting" at 7 yds with his M4. Does it for hours -makes it funny-guys go away come back later and Kelly still there snapping the gun up and shooting one-low ready-snap-low ready snap-low ready, snap. Because you can't see the little holes, even at 7 yds, and you need to know-must know,-where that bullet is going. Like the Sarge says........ I really like his explanation. Now you can search and find about fifty threads on calling the shot. DVC. Primary skill for shooters. Taking a class with a really good instructor-a basic class-is the best way to learn this.

Kelly McCann has a video somehere on You Tube where he's practicing "snap shooting" at 7 yds with his M4. Does it for hours -makes it funny-guys go away come back later and Kelly still there snapping the gun up and shooting one-low ready-snap-low ready snap-low ready, snap. Because you can't see the little holes, even at 7 yds, and you need to know-must know,-where that bullet is going. Like the Sarge says........ I really like his explanation. Now you can search and find about fifty threads on calling the shot. DVC. Primary skill for shooters. Taking a class with a really good instructor-a basic class-is the best way to learn this.

Thank you, I got my beginner training from Cory Estill, I will continue getting trained, the only way to get better!

I thought shot calling was point in the stands before the pitch.

J/K.

If you don't see the sights the instant before the gun lifts in recoil, you don't really know where the bullet is going. Travis Tomasi has a fantastic drill for this. It was on Shooting USA. You should be able to find it.

Tom, I appreciate this thread! I really struggle with shot calling. I continue to be surprised by where my shots are as we're scoring the target. I guess that means I need to slow down! Thanks for posting that video Chills!

Slow doesn't have much to do with it.

SEE !!

I had a really bad day at Nationals in 2004 -- crashed on 3 out of 5 stages. The next morning my mantra was "Shoot all alphas." On the first stage's second array I had three paper at ~10 yards or so. Shot the first two with perfect sight pictures in the center of the A-zone, same thing for the first shot on T3. Saw the sights lift out of the center of the A, perfectly aligned, as the shot broke for each one. As the shot breaks for the second round on T3, I notice that the front sight is a little left, and as the gun comes down out of recoil, sights perfectly aligned, I pull the trigger again and call another center shot.

When the stage was scored, all of the targets had two alphas centered in the A-zone; in addition one of the targets had a third alpha,at the left A-C border. After three years of USPSA shooting, I all of a sudden understood shot calling. We ran the timer back -- and the splits S1-S2 and S2-S3 were almost identical...

There is another aspect to this topic that I call 'shot placement.' And I believe that is one level above shot calling. Trying to explain the difference is difficult as it could easily be argued they are the same. My quick and simple explanation comes down to the ability to call AND place any shot anywhere on the target at the same, consistent speed.

For example: Using a full size target at 12 yards, can you easily shoot a 4-inch group in the A-zone at stage speed (let's say 0.20 splits)? Consistently doing so would be demonstrating your ability to call shots. Now let's cover half the target with a no-shoot, still leaving a generous portion of the A-zone. Can you repeat that same group in the A-zone with the EXACT same splits? If not, then you have issues placing your shot at stage speed.

Think about it, most people slow down when shooting at those type of target presentations. Why? There was still plenty of target, plenty of A-zone to put your 4-inch group.

In my opinion, the ability to place shots at speed is what separates a Master from a GM. If you listen to most GM's, their shooting pace remains somewhat constant despite full target, half target, and etc. at comparable distances.

I see what you are saying but I think a better way to look at is a GM will have the confidence in A) his ability to return the gun consistently from recoil amd B) his ability to shoot accurately.

If you can't return the gun to the original point of aim your splits will slow while you steer it to where you want it and if you can't be accurate or aren't confident in your accuracy you will first have to aim at a smaller area to ensure the A hit and then take longer on the sight and trigger to make it happen. I wouldn't say its a level above shot calling, it is just the refined ability to consistently execute the fundamentals. Shot calling is, as Sarge stated, is simply the ability to tell where your sights were when the shot broke.

What "seperates" GM and M's and I dislike the term "seperates", is the ability to more consistently apply the fundamentals, especially accuracy. To be honest splits are usually the smallest area of difference. The difference between an M's splits on target and a GM's is almost nothing. Accuracy, transitions, movement, shooting on the move, set ups, and to a much smaller extent, draws and reloads all have a bigger difference than splits. Now with splits the farther or smaller the target, the bigger the differencr, I'll agree to that but the difference between an M and a GM is still very small.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always been told "shot calling" is when you see exactly where your sights lift on the target... because the exact spot they lifted from is where the bullet theoretically is going to go (barring any error on the shooter).

I had a really bad day at Nationals in 2004 -- crashed on 3 out of 5 stages. The next morning my mantra was "Shoot all alphas." On the first stage's second array I had three paper at ~10 yards or so. Shot the first two with perfect sight pictures in the center of the A-zone, same thing for the first shot on T3. Saw the sights lift out of the center of the A, perfectly aligned, as the shot broke for each one. As the shot breaks for the second round on T3, I notice that the front sight is a little left, and as the gun comes down out of recoil, sights perfectly aligned, I pull the trigger again and call another center shot.

When the stage was scored, all of the targets had two alphas centered in the A-zone; in addition one of the targets had a third alpha,at the left A-C border. After three years of USPSA shooting, I all of a sudden understood shot calling. We ran the timer back -- and the splits S1-S2 and S2-S3 were almost identical...

It sounds like becoming a bit overcautious opened the shot calling door.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always been told "shot calling" is when you see exactly where your sights lift on the target... because the exact spot they lifted from is where the bullet theoretically is going to go (barring any error on the shooter).

I dug up some old posts I saved on calling the shot:

Now we're getting down to it.

Make calling the shot...and knowing your one goal and desire for your shooting.

Put that knowing up on a pedestal and worship it above all else.

No matter whether your hitting, pinning, mashing, slapping, milking or squeezing the trigger, if you start from the beginning - Calling each shot is the single most important goal you will ever have as a shooter - and always bear that goal in mind, you will improve and continue to improve faster than you will by doing anything else.

But people don't get that and they just want to shoot fast.

:(

How would you approach a practice session if your only goal was to call each shot - without seeing the hits on the target? You might have to start all over.

Make this your practice goal: When you're done shooting a stage, you should know your score on all the targets before you look at them. Don't try anything else.

There should be no difference in mentality between calling the first shot or calling the second shot on a target.

After you've mastered the first axiom, then add the second axiom of IPSC to your shooting: Do it all as quickly as possible.

Now, technically, let that dictate your grip, stance, and overall position.

Don't try to shoot fast until you know how to shoot.

be

================================

Or test this approach to learn shot calling.

Empty your mind of any idea of what shot calling means or is. Go to the range with nothing in your mind that you're going to try. Set up a paper target far enough away so you can't see the bullet holes. Then just do this: Aim at the target and fire one shot, then lower the pistol and say in your mind precisely where the bullet the target. Then look through binoculars and see where the shot really went. If the bullet hole isn't where you thought it would be - or if you couldn't even say or guess where it should be - repeat that process until you can say where the bullet hit the target without looking at the target, consistently and without doubt. As a shooter, this is the most important thing you'll ever learn.

be

================================

I was talking with BigJoni (my daugher), explaining "calling the shot," and thought of a new way of relating it to "sight picture."

I was explaining sight picture - the relationship of the front sight to the rear sight, and the relationship of that to the target - when she asked, "Does 'calling the shot' happen before you fire the shot or after the shot fires"? That was a great question. Because the answer gets you looking in the right place.

Sight picture is always taught as what you see before the gun fires. Her question made me see that that explanation is incomplete. What if sight picture were always taught as what you saw until the moment the front sight lifted in recoil. Now that's a whole new world to look in to.

It's always fun to see for the first time what's been right in front of your face all along.

;)

for visual explanation=)

Iron sights

Red dot

to play this, prepare 6 circles, call each shot and mark where the bullet hits the plate, answer at the end.

I think this is shreds' (im just going by name here at the forum). There is also a video of TT.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, in the 6 months I've been a member of this forum this is THE best and most useful thread I've seen! Shot calling is the one skill I've been completely unhappy with as it pertains to my progress but now I feel I have a path forward, thx! I knew I needed to master this but had no idea on how to do it, now I do ...

Wow, in the 6 months I've been a member of this forum this is THE best and most useful thread I've seen! Shot calling is the one skill I've been completely unhappy with as it pertains to my progress but now I feel I have a path forward, thx! I knew I needed to master this but had no idea on how to do it, now I do ...

It's kinda like driving a car...you can watch, listen to other people explain it, and get behind the wheel and still clueless. Just takes a lot of practice and confidence in your shooting. Im still in awe after watching some shooters, they are just fast & accurate. Im still more concerned with being safe, and doing everything right. Just be safe and have fun and 100,000 rounds from now you'll be better. Best advice I ever got was get a couple thousand rounds and go to the range, until you can hit inside a 4" circle everytime.

It's kinda like driving a car...you can watch, listen to other people explain it, and get behind the wheel and still clueless. Just takes a lot of practice and confidence in your shooting. Im still in awe after watching some shooters, they are just fast & accurate. Im still more concerned with being safe, and doing everything right. Just be safe and have fun and 100,000 rounds from now you'll be better. Best advice I ever got was get a couple thousand rounds and go to the range, until you can hit inside a 4" circle everytime.

Tom,

You are where I was last year. I started shooting last Spring with virtually zero prior gun experience. I spent my entire first year building a database to which I could draw from. I remember the first time I tried reading Brian's book, LOL. I put it down within two pages as it was pure FRENCH! I shot 4 Majors as I felt that was the best way for me to gather experience the fastest. One of the best decisions I made. I was slow. I worried about being safe and I constantly thought my way through stages. I practiced a TON. At the end of the season I knew I had improved but I couldn't see how much. I then took that experience and applied it to my Fall/Winter dry fire routine after spending an evening with Steve Anderson. The improvement in year 2 is dramatic. I no longer think my way through stages. I have a long way to go to meet my goals but I also know there are no short-cuts or magic pills. Put in your time, shoot with better shooters, ask lots of questions, take classes, dry fire & shoot some more. Just my $0.02.

Tom,

I also like to start my practices by shooting a magazine or two into the berm with no target. I simply focus on the sights. I think its a nice warm-up. I read that on here somewhere last year. I think it was a tip from BE himself.

I still think the biggest obstacle to shot calling is blinking during the shot. Watch Travis' eyes in the video. He is right, but I don't think this is emphasized enough.

If you don't have enough lead down the barrel so that your subconscious ignores the noise and recoil, you blink. If you blink, you can't call the shot.

Shoot at a target, but try to "watch" your pistol. When you have that down, then practice calling the shots (like the drill at the end of the video).

I still think the biggest obstacle to shot calling is blinking during the shot. Watch Travis' eyes in the video. He is right, but I don't think this is emphasized enough.

If you don't have enough lead down the barrel so that your subconscious ignores the noise and recoil, you blink. If you blink, you can't call the shot.

Shoot at a target, but try to "watch" your pistol. When you have that down, then practice calling the shots (like the drill at the end of the video).

+ 100 to all that!