Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic color? Red or Green

Tom Brannon

When I started I was using a red, then a buddy of mine said to try green. Shortly after, I switched to black on black and now I am back to green haha. Green is most definitely the easiest for my eyes to pick up, especially in bright sunlight.

Green is the color that the human eye picks up the easiest and with most instinctive detail (why night vision is green and not blue, red, etc).

That being said, that can be offset with what you're pointing at. A green sight on a green background can wash out. But for most of us we're shooting at a B/W target. It's one of those personal preference things.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am red/green colorblind (not severe) and find the green or yellow provides a better contrast. The red just disappears into the background at times, especially in lower light like we have here in the PNW at times.

+1. Same issue here and the same results. Tried both and green seems to work better for me. Of course if I had to do it again I would go with a plain black rear sight and FO front. As it is I just never clean my rear FO so it is pretty close.