Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let us consider for a moment the creation of a new division.

West Texas Granny

First put down any preconceived notions and consider the following.

A hybrid division that combines Single Stack with the 8 shot revolver.

Magazine capacity is 8 rounds to match 8 round moon clips used by revolver.

Iron sights only. No fiber. Just notch (black) and post (black).

Maybe some holster considerations. ( no speed holsters)

Minimum caliber is .357 mag. I'm thinking S&W model 627

Maybe allowing compensators or porting

I don't see making major PF as an issue even in a 4 inch barrel as according to my reloading book one can make a PF of 202 out of said 4 inch barrel. Of course thats a max loading and Major PF being 165 that leaves plenty of room to work. ( 14.9 grains of 2400,158 grain bullet@ 1478fps out of a 4 inch barrel a max load data from Lyman 48th reloading manual page 337)

I'll load 38 all day to 125 but I personally don't want to bother with 357 brass. I've chronoed some 38+P self-defense loads that don't "make major" and I doubt I would enjoy shooting a whole match with them even if they did.

I'd rather allow a 627 in SSP at 125PF. Only 1 reload in most stages.

There is already a division for SS in IDPA. It is called ESP and CDP. Hopefully, .40/10mm will be allowed to compete is CDP once again.

I think people should realize that just because a certain handgun exists, there doesn't need to be a place for that handgun to be used in competition.

Edited by sirveyr

I'd love to race my single action trigger and magazine reloads against a DA trigger and moon clip reloads. Would SS shooters have to spot revolver shooters a class or maybe a few seconds?

Nope. Just single action trigger and magazine reloads against a DA trigger and moon clip reloads.

Yeah let's see how many will sign up for this one

Buy a 627 Performance Center V-Comp and now want a place to shoot it?

3-629V-Comp.jpg

Why not instead of trying to change everything to what you want, got with what is already out there.

while your thought is intriguing, in no way is would it work in practice.

there is aprox a 9-15 second difference between CDP and ESR when comparing classification times. How would you suggest this gap be bridged?

image_thumb7.png

Leave it alone, just like in USPSA, leave revo alone. We are a small but happy group. I started ZSA so people could shoot WHATEVER they want (as long as it's safe) in 6, 8, 15 or 24 divisions (max loaded at any one time) so the 7 & 8 shot revos can play in 8 division, Glocks and M&P's can play in 15 or 24, or download and play in 8 if you want reload practice. Leave the standing games(USPSA and IDPA) alone, as they are they are fine. Want a change of pace? Fine, come have some fun with ZSA, that's why it's there, leave IDPA and USPSA as they are, compete within the rules of each, and if you are not good enough, practice more.

There are enough places for people to hide and still get a trophy, i say run what you brung and practice instead of dreaming up new ways to make a division for that fits one gun on the market place.

You ever shoot anything 200 PF out of a gun that's even full size? bet you didn't do it much or very long or often.

First put down any preconceived notions and consider the following.

A hybrid division that combines Single Stack with the 8 shot revolver.

I think that has been done. Search back to the history of leather slap and the southwest pistol league.