Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In-Press Primer Detonation

After I tumble my 45 acp brass I decap and size all my .45 acp brass in a spare tool head I have then I clean the primer pockets. That way I can sort out the small and large primer brass. I also have a single stage and run them thru a Lee bulge buster setup. Takes more time but I have less problems when reloading.

Depends on your volume and how much time you want to spend reloading.

I reloaded 20K of .45 last year.

Small primer 45 brass sucks, however it would be great if it was all small primered. I'd never have to change over the press.

I did this. I sold or traded all my LP .45 brass for SP .45 brass.

Now I can just switch toolheads on my 650 to go from .40 to .45.

Only have to stock one size primer too.

I've embraced the suck

After I tumble my 45 acp brass I decap and size all my .45 acp brass in a spare tool head I have then I clean the primer pockets. That way I can sort out the small and large primer brass. I also have a single stage and run them thru a Lee bulge buster setup. Takes more time but I have less problems when reloading.

Depends on your volume and how much time you want to spend reloading.

I reloaded 20K of .45 last year.

Agree it is time consuming. I go thru about 1500 45 acp a month. I prep my cases in batches of 1000 at a time and I reload in batches of 1000. Takes about 2 hours to prep the cases after tumbling and about 1 hour to reload on a xl650.

I bought 1000 rounds of .45ACP from online to get into shooting my Ruger more. Got the boxes, got it unpacked and found that blazer brass is all SP 45. I've been thinking it would be a pain to reload but since I also shoot 9mm, I can just use the same primers for both so that could be a good thing.