Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A bit puzzled re: scales

JCT

re: dust -- I figured I would probably run it in the shower... And heaven knows what my neighbors think -- I work these crazy long hours and have blacked out the back of the RV bunkhouse to use as a darkroom already. Maybe I will investigate alternate brass cleaning methods.

To eliminate dust, add a couple tablespoons mineral spirits and/or car wax polish (NuFinish works good) to your media (tumble for several mins. BEFORE adding the brass)...no dust.

This 40lb bag should last awhile:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

While I use and recommend Lee's dies their turret press is something that would be replaced in a short period of time.

The 550 will give you a lifetime of service while holding value. Spend a little time looking for a used press on Gunbroker or E Bay, might find a deal, just know what everything cost new so you don't overspend.

Starting with a 550 just makes sense as you purchase other firearms it's ready to move up to any caliber you want. That next purchase may be a AR or bolt rifle. The 550 will step up and load ammo for it.

Lee Classic Turret (LCT)is a perfect first press. Easy to use. Reasonably fast. If you can swing the 550 get if first. I bought a LCT as my first press. Sold it when I got my 550. Rebought one when I got my 650. It's a quality piece.

Just to add my 2 cents and start my post count. I have been reloading for about 15 years most of that was with the SDB then with 550. I own 2 SDB and a 550, I never thaught I needed anything but the SDB then my wonderful wife gave me an AR 15 for Christmas one year and all of a sudden I needed to reload for rifle and now I find myself buying dies and tool heads to convert everything to the 550 and will adventually sell the SDB. So if by some chance you think you may do 3 gun or any rifle I'm going to recomend going with the 550 or you may find yourself repurchasing some items down the road. Also I use a digital scale and I love it I checked it like every time for a couple of years because I did not know if I could trust the digital scale over my balance beam but it was never off so now the ballance beam sits on the shelf. My recomendation is to get one with an AC adapter because batteries always go dead when you need them.

Edited by jlgrrt

Electronic is OK as long as you can keep it safe from damage. I have destroyed 2 of them because I did not keep it safely covered. One of our cats stepped on the scale for one and the other had a container of loaded cartridges slip on to it which overloaded the scale. Neither would come close to zeroing after that.

It actually does not take a lot of weight to damage the load cell of an electronic scale. With 7000 grains to a pound most scales handle handle 1/10th to 1/4 of a pound as a max weight. Both scales would zero but would not calibrate anymore and a 20 gram calibration weight now reads as less than 10 grams. Saw the paw print on the platen so I knew the cat had stepped on it. Checked with RCBS and I could send it back for repair even though the scale was no longer covered by warranty. They are the ones that told me the load cell had been overloaded.

OK, I've got a plan -- will save a little longer and start with a basic RL-550B. Will add the bells and whistles as needed (and once I'm living in a house again. Plan is to probably start with the Eliminator unless I decide to put things off another month to start with Brian's digital scale.

Since I have to wait a little longer will invest in a couple of manuals and Brian's DVD to get ready...

Thanks guys!

JT

• 2 weeks later...

Something to think about with the escales... power source, moisture, vibrations, air pressure can all effect the accuracy and calibration of an escale.

It has been my experience that some are more reliable than others, but when it comes to consistent measurements in my environment (midwest where we exprience all 4 seasons, in a basement and with three children that can get roudy), a beam balance has proven more reliable for the cost. I went with the Dillon beam ultimately and haven't looked back.

With Escales, i found I had trust issues. I kept re-calibrating and getting different results from the same case with / without powder. When I calibrated the beam, it stayed, results were consistent.

The calipers I've been pleased with to use digital readouts, but I still have a non-standard set as well. In the end, you can't be too careful... but you can be too careless.

Cheers,