Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Server might be about to crash again

ima45dv8

-Member names that begin with characters like "."

We have ten members that have names that begin with a period. Including this wacky name: .:DRAGON:.

If all else fails read all the posts and see if any of the posts read backwards summon the dark god DOON ZEWOO crasher of shooter forums. Then recite the encantation "DOOBLE ALFAA!"

and send it back to the fires of hell!

I'm not following what any of that meant Jerry. :wacko:

Found him.... This guy has no member name ---> http://www.brianenos...?showuser=25253

Thanks Paul. The weird thing is though, I can't find him in the ACP, even when just searching with the email filter with: glockman. Also, searching for his member ID: 25253, did not return any results. I did find probably the same member - because he has the same pic in his profile: Glockman1000 - with 58 posts. (Edited to add - of course he is the same member, because Glockman1000 is right after Mr. no-name.)

But since the no-name member account has 0 posts since he signed up a year and a half ago, I doubt if that account would have anything to do with the server crashing.

And thanks for all that interesting info JerryShoots!

My feeling is I don't think our server can handle the steady amount of heavily rising traffic we've been experiencing lately. So in the FYI department, we will be moving to a new server soon. It will be over twice as powerful, in every aspect, as our current server.

Current The Planet Server:

Hard Drive 3x Seagate 146GB: SAS:15K

RAM 4x Generic Standard

Drive Controller Dell 9G Drive Controller - SAS/SATA RAID

Motherboard Dell Single socket 1067FSB - Quad Core Capable

Processor Intel 2.13 GHz 1066FSB - Kentsfield

New TSS Server:

E3 Quad Core

8GB Ram

(4) 1TB SATA

Raid10

Cpanel

Total Server Management

Is there anything we need to or can do to assist?

I know you have a policy against Mod's donating but I'd gladly kick in a few dollars to make it happen. I may be a Mod but I'm still also a member.

;)

I've been watching the server load for the last hour or so, and with 500-530ish members online, it was running steady right around 2.0. Then just a few minutes ago, the 5-minute average load climbed up to 8 or so (with about 580 online).. now it's dropping down to to the 4ish-zone. I'm going to grab some dinner - and will check back in after that. My plan is get us on the new server as soon as possible.

Thanks Mark. The cool thing is the new super server will only cost about the same/month as our current server!

And just for a fun experiment tonight, since we have a member with no name in the bitthday list, I turned off the birthday list (that has to load/appear every time the home page loads).

be