Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 Barrel Lug Spring Issue

Orphanedcowboy

I searched prior to posting, so if this has been addressed I am sorry.

I just received (01/24/2012) another 930 HD model and the blue spring in the barrel lug is galling/gouging the magazine. The very tip of the spring is turned into the center and the tip is digging into the magazine tube. It also makes removing the barrel almost impossible, the tip of the spring hangs up on the magazine cap threads. This is the 2nd one, previous one was a 930 Field. I called Mossberg and they emailed a return label. I quizzed the lady and she was unaware of any reported issues like mine.

I just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue. It was apparent that it left the factory like this, because the magazine tube was already gouged prior to removing the barrel. I will snap some pictures and post them in the morning to clarify my issue if I am confusing anyone.

Thanks

Found this on another forum:

As far as people having issues with the scoring on the mag tube when the barrel is unmounted and mounted' date=' I can just about guarantee that it is a metal ring "inside" the barrels gas port tube.

If you were to disassemble that large front nut on the barrel, there is a large HEAVY duty spring. Under that spring is a steel ring, chamford or tapared on one side. That tapered side should be facing towards the chamber or rear of the barrel, while the flat part should be against the spring to support the springs surface area.

While that barrel nut is being tightened down, that tapered steel ring can easily shift to one side or the other. Off center is the best way of saying it I guess. This can easily cause a slight barrel misalignment and scoring on the mag tube as you install/remove the barrel. If it is correctly centered, the barrel will slide on and off easily.

I had to loosen the barrel nut and use a large screwdriver through the tube and gently pressed against the rings edge with the side of the screwdriver to center it up. The first time I tried to install my 24" slug barrel, I couldn't even get it on because that ring was out of alignment inside the tube.

I will add that due to the strength of the spring, unless you have a plan to put it back together, I don't recommend taking it completely apart. It is very difficult to get back together again. I would just loosen the nut until I could move the ring inside. Hope that helps someone.

Paul[/quote']

I was getting some light scoring(more like scratching)on my 930SPX magazine tube causing some interference when removing or installing the barrel. What I did was go to Lowe's and find a wooden dowel as close to the diameter of my magazine tube as I could. With the gas piston out of the gas cylinder I inserted the wooden dowel and moved it around to center what ever was out of alignment when I heard a click. I’m thinking want ever was out of alignment went back into place. Not sure what I did but all I know is my barrel is 100% easier to remove or install. This little issue in no way effected the performance of the gun. Except for a few hiccups I caused my SPX as been running 100% from day one.
Edited by Orphanedcowboy

My brand new SPX was like that. I struggled to get the barrel off and when I did it was next to impossible to get it back on. It scored than mag tube also. Sent it back to Mossberg and they replaced the barrel and tube and it was fine. Fine until my 24" non ported custom order barrel came in. Guess what? It scored the mag tube too. Now it had other issues and the gun went back again. Mossberg got it running but it still scores the mag tube. It works so I'm just going to shoot the thing. My only concern now is hopefully it will not be a place where lead and fowling build up and are hard to clean off. Customer Service can't not know about this!!! Just look at this forum and the Mossberg Owners Forum and its a problem. I'm glad that mine is working and look forward to blasting away with it.

got my '24 non ported barrel yesterday and found that I had this as well. Scores the mag tube all up, seems that the tip of the spring sticks out just a bit and digs into the tube. . . . really bummed that I'm going to have to send it back.

Tried the tip from above, wood dowel from Lowes, and no joy. The second recommendation mentions loosening the spring nut, it's not budging and worried about scratching that all up and messing with my warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

My 930 (Waterfowl bought ~Aug, 2011) gouged my mag tube also. I took a sharp 6" half-round and smoothed out the sharp corner of the (blue) spring that was doing the gouging. Took a while as there is not room to get much of a 'stroke' on the file. Been fine ever since.

Thanks NJD. I called Mossberg and their tech seemed pretty familiar with the scratching issue from the spring tip. He said they'll take it right back and correct it, but he mentioned that it had no functional impact.

Well, saw your post, took a pointed round file and did some minor filing on that tip and problem solved. Took it to the range today and it cycles great (just like my SPX config has for the last couple of years)

Same thing here. I filed the gouge down and sanded the feed tube with some 320. Decided to coat the feed tube in a light coat of Duracoat since I sanded the bluing off. Took a Dremel with a small sanding drum and 10 sec later had the spring end ground down. Honestly, that is sub-par by Mossberg to send a new shotgun out the door if the assembler had to shove the barrel on enough to cause the gouges my shotgun had.

• 3 months later...

Same thing here. I filed the gouge down and sanded the feed tube with some 320. Decided to coat the feed tube in a light coat of Duracoat since I sanded the bluing off. Took a Dremel with a small sanding drum and 10 sec later had the spring end ground down. Honestly, that is sub-par by Mossberg to send a new shotgun out the door if the assembler had to shove the barrel on enough to cause the gouges my shotgun had.

Check this link out. It is obvious that it took quite a bit of force to get the barrel on.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3668&p=54469#p54469

I'm going to get my dremel out. Thanks for the hint.

I had the same issue on a new JM930. I cleaned the spring up with a needle file. On the mag tube I took the high spots off of the scratches with a poly sand kit. Annoying :angry2:

Well it isn't the gas ring, it is the spring. I made a tool to remove and re-install the spring and gas ring. I remove about 3/16" off of each end of the spring, it hasn't affected the gun in anyway. This made barrel installation and removal a breeze. I contemplated making a sleeve like the one SRM makes for the FN piston to see what would happen.

• 7 years later...
On 6/5/2012 at 11:26 PM, Orphanedcowboy said:

Well it isn't the gas ring, it is the spring. I made a tool to remove and re-install the spring and gas ring. I remove about 3/16" off of each end of the spring, it hasn't affected the gun in anyway. This made barrel installation and removal a breeze. I contemplated making a sleeve like the one SRM makes for the FN piston to see what would happen.

For those of us that are dumb enough to take the nut off that retains that heavy spring, how do you get it back together again?

What tool did you make to do that?