Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dumb question . . .

stinsonbeach

Actually, I might be wrong on that one... I read somewhere that a guy took the slide and barrel off a 96 and ran it on a 92. Not something I would do just remember it posted somewhere.

I think there was some back and forth on a ramp angle or something though... been a long time since I read it though.

JT

Edited by JThompson

A 92 barrel AND slide will work on a 96 frame and the other way around. (the ejector is just a little different)

A 96 barrel will fit in a 92 slide, but the .40 round won't fit in the 9mm breech face.

A 92 barrel will fit in a 96 slide, but it might not extract reliably.

I have shot a 92 barrel on a 96 frame and slide, with a 92 magazine, and it worked 100%.

I have used a 92 magazine in a 96 frame, slide, and barrel, and it worked 100%.

My calipers say that the only thing different from a 92 on a 96 barrel is they drilled a bigger hole down the middle of it.

• 4 months later...

I have shot a 92 barrel on a 96 frame and slide, with a 92 magazine, and it worked 100%.

My calipers say that the only thing different from a 92 on a 96 barrel is they drilled a bigger hole down the middle of it.

I did not know that.... :blink:

Bull****. Have your local range officer film and certify this and I will buy you a brand new 92.

People drop 9x19s in .40S&Ws all the time, and they absolutely do not work %100.

If you tip the gun down and swing up, the cartridge could drop in the barrel too deep and the firing pin won't reach.

Tilt the gun up slightly and then fire it, and the cartridge mushrooms, the gun doesn't cycle right, and sometimes needs the brass manually extracted.

So yes it will work in an emergency pinch, hell no it's not 100% and telling someone that it is is dangerous. Just like shooting .40S&W in a 10mm Auto, yah it kinda works, DON'T count on it.

Edited by KSwift

Also, shooting 9x19s through .40S&Ws tends to work better than the other way around due to the sizing of the extractors on various model firearms, if you only change the barrel & mag.

You have to change the slide as well to get a proper extractor for that cartridge. The 9x19 extractor does not like to snap over .40S&W.

If you change all 3 (slide/barrel/mag), then you're as good as it's going to get.

But anything short of a complete conversion, like JUST THE MAG, is nowhere near safe or reliable.

Was NuJudge talking about shooting a 9mm round in a 40 barrel? I don't think so. I assumed he meant feeding a 40 S&W cartridge into a 40 cal gun using a 9mm magazine.

From what I recall way back when I was active on the Beretta Forum, there is a slight ramp cut in the frame as it leads into the barrel. The ramp cut in the frame is wider and slightly deeper on the Beretta 96 as compared to the one on the Beretta 92. The result was, as I've read, that a 92 upper on a 96 frame would work fine. A 96 upper on a 92 frame might not work so well.

Edited by splashdown

• 9 months later...

Old thread, but I've been shooting a 92 barrel in my 96 for years with very good reliability. 9mm loads and chambers reliably out of the .40 magazines as well. The extractor will get a good enough purchase on the rim of a 9mm to work and accuracy is very good (at least better than I am.)