Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand guards AR

Zeek56

I am in the early stages of a three gun AR build, I have all the parts, except the hand guard. I have looked at the DPMS carbon fiber and the Clark carbon fiber. but I am not real big on using glue to secure the guard. I also have researched the JP series of guards and Lancer. Does anyone have any advice on products they have used.

Thanks for the help in advance.

The JP VTAC is cool but so is the Nordic tube, the JP is actually better IMHO due to fitting the extension to the receiver ensuring a custom fit. I am unsure how the Nordic tube assembles and it requires a custom spanner wrench, but is round.

Just finished a build using the Nordic HG and really like it. You don't need a spanner wrench to install it. A wide flat screw driver and a rubber mallet does the trick just fine. Other than how it attaches it's about identical to the JP VTAC, but about 1/2 the price.

Edited by Shooter115

Samson 15" evolution. Easy to install on exsisting barrel nut. Very secure. Slim. Basically some HG as on Colt's, Stag's, and Adams's rifles. Not very expensive either.

This is also the easier FF HG I ever installed.

Edited by Lead-Head

I like the carbon fiber handguards that LOKI Weapon Systems sells. They don't glue on, they use allen head flush mounted bolts. They come in different lengths, I use the 15" and 17" and they're sturdy. We've installed a Lancer tube and it didn't seem to be very sturdy. LOKI Weapon Systems also has the Nordic tubes and they're great too. The new JP LE/MIL tube looks really nice as well.

I built a couple of guns with carbon fiber forends. Won't do it again though.

Weight and balance are a trade-off. Light guns are maneuverable as heck, but, for me, they don't settle down quickly when coming up on an array.

My first purpose-built 3-Gun AR was built as light as possible. By turning down a heavy barrel and using CF handguards, I was able to get it down to 6.5 lbs. before optic. Recoil was not an issue because I tuned everything with adjustable gas blocks, good compensators, and lightened internals. I found that it just wouldn't settle down on a target, so I decided to start over....

The next one used a PRS stock, standard 18" WOA Designated Marksman barrel, and a 15" Nordic tube. Total weight was 9.5 lbs with an optic. This gun is still relatively maneuverable because it's balanced well, but it settles down so much better for me.

Samson Evolution. I have the 15" on my Colt CR Pro, and a shorter one on my SBR. They come with a couple pieces of rail, and are super simple to install. I had the JP VTAC, and was just a little complicated. The red loctite is a monster to get off if you need to change something.

I have a JP and a Troy TRX. IMO the TRX wins hands down. I really don't like the installation procedure for the JP; it relies heavily on loctite, is way too permanent, and you have to align an additional nut. The TRX is easier to install/remove, thinner, less expensive, and has better sling mounting options (Noveske flush cup mount).

Edited by Ragnar