Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended tip strikers?

kamikaze1a

Looking for review of Glock strikers with extended tips? Anyone try one?

I've had reliable ignition with sr primers with regular striker but bought 20k of Tula sr and 1 in 10 doesn't fire. They seem to be quite a bit harder and the dent really light. Even the ones that fire look light. Hoping the extended tip might resolve this.

I know some will say why load sr in pistol? I load a lot of rifle and pistol so find it easier/cost effective to have one type primer and got the Tula sr at a great price... I do load sp for match ammo.

Looking for review of Glock strikers with extended tips? Anyone try one?

I've had reliable ignition with sr primers with regular striker but bought 20k of Tula sr and 1 in 10 doesn't fire. They seem to be quite a bit harder and the dent really light. Even the ones that fire look light. Hoping the extended tip might resolve this.

I know some will say why load sr in pistol? I load a lot of rifle and pistol so find it easier/cost effective to have one type primer and got the Tula sr at a great price... I do load sp for match ammo.

Howzit !

I have the Jager striker, both in my G34 and G35, and even with factory striker springs they wont fire 100%( Magtech SR,CCI SR,Wolf SR,and Wolf SP) . My Glocks just Fed SP or WIN SP only . MY 2011/1911's any other SP or SR primers.

I would stay away from the Titanium strikers.

I have tried a bunch of combos as well and overall I usually only shoot American Eagle or WWB. The Jaeger with the extended tip and the glockworx three spring kit has been a very reliable combo for me. In the last three years I have only had two rounds not go off in my Gen3 34 shooting about 60 different matches.

lawdawg

I have tried a bunch of combos as well and overall I usually only shoot American Eagle or WWB. The Jaeger with the extended tip and the glockworx three spring kit has been a very reliable combo for me. In the last three years I have only had two rounds not go off in my Gen3 34 shooting about 60 different matches.

lawdawg

I use and recommened Jager strikers in all my trigger jobs with 4 lb striker springs. They will ignite WOLF/CCI primers. But to get 100% ignition with lighter trigger jobs spend the money and use FEDERAL SP/SR primers.It also helps to keep your striker channel cleaned out by using Q-TIPS soaked in alcohol/solvent.

Edited by sweetback

Thanks for the replies. Well...I tried again on Sunday after a good cleaning and it still won't fire the Tula sr primers reliably. I even tried my SV and same results but some would fire after 2 or 3 tries. The Glock wouldn't even after several tries. The "duds" and the ones that fired look really light and actually kind of scary how light the dents were on the fired ones. Kind of brings to mind the dents I see when dropping the bolt on my AR.

I dug out a Zev Tech light striker with extended tip and basically same light strikes and no ignition in 10-20%. I am now thinking I had better check if my AR fires the primerrs...wondering if they are just harder or bad primers?

The rifle primers will be harder than the pistol, and the Russian manufacture stuff is known for being hard in its own category.

If you are going to run a lightened striker spring in your Glock, I'd bet you couldn't find a striker on the planet that would touch off those primers 100%.

FWIW, I ran the Z-TEV striker in my Glock with Federal SPP and never once had a light strike issue. Tried it with some of the tougher primers, and it was super rare to choke on anything of American manufacture (CCI every now and then). Never tried with Wolf or Tula, though-- just going but what I've always been told in the above advice.

I called Tula to ask about the difference between these primers and the Wolf sr. They confirmed that Tula manufactures the Wolf but could not confirm that the magnum primers have a thicker/harder cup. The dents I see in the primers indicate that magnum are harder or thicker as the dents are noticeably shallower on the primers that fired as well as the ones that failed. The really odd part is that the sku on the master carton matches Tula's magnum sr listed online but the individual primer packaging says standard...

I run a Zev-4 Skelatonized stainless striker with the extended tip in my G34 and a 4lb spring. Before that was the stock striker with 4lb spring. I had on light strike every 25-50 rounds. Now not a single one. Using Tula SPP. I also run Tula MAgnum SPP - only difference is that they are longer buring and a little hotter but on our low PF loads is accounts for maybe 10fps on my chrono. Running 9mm 4.2 TG with MG CMJ's 1.145.

Edited by frankge

I had no mis-fires with small pistol or standard small rifle. The issue is only with the Tula magnum small rifle. The sku indicates magnum (Tula web site) but the inner carton says standard. Tula also has a 556 Nato rifle primer that is said to have a harder cup to prevent slam fire. Wolf standard rifle 100% reliable in my G35 and AR's...