Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a Trubor T2 barrel

Peter_K

I'm building an open gun and are about to fit the barrel to the slide (STI),

but before the back of the hood reaches the breechface the comp hits the front of the slide, is this normal?

In that case i will have to remove about .035" from either the slide or the comp, which one?

/Peter

Can't remember the number but the slide should also be cut at a slight angle.

Ok, so i need to shorten the slide and not the comp, whats the point with cutting the slide at an angle?

How much clearance do i need between the slide and the comp?

You will have to cut the slide at a 1 degree angle why. When the barrel locks in it angles up to lock into the lugs in the rear of the slide. Also you might have to remove material from the back of the comp to get the lugs to lock in or frome the slide after the angle cut.Comp to slide clearance someware around .005

Make sense, hadn't really thought of that.

As it is now it's .027" left until lockup when the comp hits the front of the slide.

it seems like the easiest way is to remove all the material from the slide, just wanted to make sure that wasn't the wrong way to do it.

If you have access to a lathe, you can face the rear surface of the comp for this fitting. Either way works....

I did that on the last one that I fit. The gun had a beautiful blue finish and I wasn't going to ruin it by cutting on the slide. The front of the slide already had the 1-degree cut, so that didn't need to be done.

Edited by Braxton1